Greatshells

Divine0Flame

WoR spoilers... Maybe?

On page 348 of WoR, it states that a gem heart, one recently extracted, was glowing softly. It also says earlier in the book that the Listeners are using stormlight to grow their crops so that they may live.

What I propose is that Chasmfiends and other Greatshells go into their chrysalises to gather stormlight in order to live on. Also, when later in the book, a chasmfiend corpse endures a highstorm, is harvested, and the gem heart is glowing brilliantly, showing that organic mater is no impediment to investiture.

The reason that the Alethi have never noticed this, or given it any great thought, is because the gemhearts are empty, or well on their way. They also don't know that stormlight can grow plants.

This isn't really a question, so much as a though exercise. If this has already been covered by another, I appologize gor wasting your time. If it has not, let the conversation and debate ensue.

WoR spoilers... Maybe?

On page 348 of WoR, it states that a gem heart, one recently extracted, was glowing softly. It also says earlier in the book that the Listeners are using stormlight to grow their crops so that they may live.

What I propose is that Chasmfiends and other Greatshells go into their chrysalises to gather stormlight in order to live on. Also, when later in the book, a chasmfiend corpse endures a highstorm, is harvested, and the gem heart is glowing brilliantly, showing that organic mater is no impediment to investiture.

The reason that the Alethi have never noticed this, or given it any great thought, is because the gemhearts are empty, or well on their way. They also don't know that stormlight can grow plants.

This isn't really a question, so much as a though exercise. If this has already been covered by another, I appologize gor wasting your time. If it has not, let the conversation and debate ensue.

Wouldn't that be the Surge of progression?

Great...chasmfiend surgebinders. Just what Alethkar needs.

Well, the thing is, there is some kind of magic at work with the macro-fauna of Roshar. I think a lot of the macro-fauna of Roshar are using Stormlight just to keep themselves operational. The chasmfiends, for example, don't have body plans that fit an organism that size. They're like giant versions of smaller animals and seem like they ought to collapse under their own mass. I don't have the books in front of me to look for references, but I think Dalinar might make an observation to that effect in the disastrous chasmfiend hunt from TWoK, and I'm positive that Shallan notices something that indicates that there's something strange about the chasmfiends when she is trapped in a chasms with Kaladin in WoR.

Well, Roshar does have the most reliable and frequent replenishment of Investiture in the known Cosmere. In Elantris, Galladon describes the Dor (read: place where Investiture is) as being what tells a bird how to fly, etc. I don't think it's far fetched that a use like growing plants is beyond Stormlight, especially given it's probably more concentrated than we're used to.

On the subject of greatshells feeding on Stormlight, perhaps they change forms like Parshendi, and have to bond a spren on a plateau to do that. Pure, idle speculation, but I figured...

Oh, and how else would creatures with such heavy exoskeletons move around anywhere?

We have a WoB somewhere that says the force of gravity on Roshar is about .7 g, which allows for greatshells to reach such massive sizes.

It is one factor but the Greatshell size is also possible to their Spren's bond.

We have a WoB somewhere that says the force of gravity on Roshar is about .7 g, which allows for greatshells to reach such massive sizes.

That is only one of the problems.  The bigger one with is breath.  Unless Roshar is hyperoxygenated which is unlikely due to how rocky most areas are,  The only way past that is magic and on Roshar that means spren.

Wouldn't that be the Surge of progression?

No, I think it happens automatically, as indicated by this WoB:

QUESTION
For Words of Radiance, could you put a comment about something in the upcoming books, something not too specific, just something I can think about? Something like "Renarin has a spren" you wrote for somebody else in The Way of Kings?
BRANDON SANDERSON (PARAPHRASED)
Brandon wrote "Stormlight makes plants grow" in the guy's book.

Brandon said that "Stormlight makes plants grow," not their bond with spren. Thr stormlight its self is the catalyst for the plants growth. And spren are NOT nessisary for magic on Roshar. Must I remind you of fabrials? They are structures that draw upon stormlight in order to produce the desired result.

Dalinar (or someone else, I can't be bothered to look up the reference right now) wondered how the chasmfiends found nearly enough food to sustain them, concidering their size. As for how they seem to be larger that the O2 content would allow a normal thing to grow, stormlight substitutes the need for breath, as we see with Szeth on multiple occations.

That is only one of the problems. The bigger one with is breath. Unless Roshar is hyperoxygenated which is unlikely due to how rocky most areas are, The only way past that is magic and on Roshar that means spren.

It has a little more oxygen concentration than earth, but neither of those is enough to justify greatshells. The gravity problem is solved by their bonds with anti-gravity spren like the ones from skyeels, while the oxygenation may be complemented by stormlight.

EDIT: poster above: Fabrials use spren, you know... :P

Edited by CognitivePulsePattern

Well, good chance Regrowth fabrials don't, and soulcasters definitely don't since the gems get swapped out pretty often. But modern fabrials use spren trapped in gemstones, yes.

Where is it that we acquired this particular information? And if fabrials are powered by spren in gemstones, does that mean that stormlight is nothing but the essence of a spren?

If it is a spren, why can't Rock see them? Also, how is it that spren are trapped in a gemstone? By the Eshonai interludes, we know that spren are independent of stormlight, so how is it that fabrials can harness their power?

Try reading this coppermind page about fabrials. It explains some of your questions.

Rock can't see the spren in fabrials because they are trapped inside a gemstone. A gemstone that's hidden inside a machine, most of the time.

It is currently unknown how spren are trapped in gemstones (unless there's a WoB I haven't read yet?).

Fabrials don't really harness the spren's power, as I understand it. Fabrial devices still require stormlight to function, the captured spren, together with the type of gem, determines what effects a febrial device can have.

I like the idea that Greatshells live off of stormlight. It explains the gemhearts and pupation, although I think this has to do with changing forms also, similar to chulls from one of the drawings. As a side, doesn't Axies say something along the lines of "they must have some spren to keep them growing this large..." when the trader (can't remember her name) is on the islands in WoR interludes?

• Chaos locked this topic