Who is the *BEST* swordsman in the cosmere?

hula

Most are valid ( I do a bit of swordfighting - no shards, of course :wacko: ), except that with armor hit to the side. Actually, as long as it hits the side where the armor is good, it will stop the blade. Just make sure it stays there and does not go for your axlehole.

I meant it more like blade hitting some part of the armor and sliding to hit the body... unless you wear a full plate armor, which is heavy. That will in turn impair speed and mobility...

Basically, full Shardbearers fight with swords lighter than a regular sword (and also two times longer and broader) while wearing an armor which is granting additional strenght and energy. So getting rid of Shards may be tough.

Basically, full Shardbearers fight with swords lighter than a regular sword (and also two times longer and broader) while wearing an armor which is granting additional strenght and energy. So getting rid of Shards may be tough.

I wonder if it affects growth.. For instance, if someone trains with them from a too young age does it modify how this person would have growned had he trained without from the start?

I've been wondering about it.

I meant it more like blade hitting some part of the armor and sliding to hit the body... unless you wear a full plate armor, which is heavy. That will in turn impair speed and mobility...

Actualy, full plate does not greatly impair mobility for a trained warrior, since the weight is well distributed and the articulations are generaly very well designed. The main problems are the ventilation and how exhaustion will come faster. Plus lacking the extra strenght, thoughness and agility of Shardplate. But every armor is heavy and clumsy compared to Shardplate.

Edited by CognitivePulsePattern

Alright people, here is what wearing an armor does to you!

http://news.sciencemag.org/2011/07/heavy-armor-gave-knights-workout

http://www.livescience.com/15128-armor-drained-medieval-knight-energy.html

2.3 time more energy to walk is spent while wearing an armor and 1.9 time more energy to run. It even compares wearing an armor versus wearing modern day war equipment which was just as heavy. However, the armor was more contriving as the legs were encumbered in heavy plates.

So I suspect a Shardbearer who has not been trained to wear regular armor would likely find himself out of breath and exhausted much more quickly than anticipated.

Edit: And a great two-handed sword weight something in between 2.5 lb to 10 lb!

http://www.thearma.org/essays/2HGS.html#.Vl5X2PlViko

I dunno how much a Shardblade weight, the discussion in the Stormlight Archive forum was inconclusive, but an increase of 1lb would be felt. Doing 3 series of 12 reps with a weight 1 lb heavier is not much, bu hold the weight far off with your arms straight and then spin it over your head for over an hour and well you certainly feel the difference.

Edited by maxal

I think Szeth should be included in the running. Assuming he has the Honorblade, he would basically destroy anyone.

Szeth isn't as much of a swordsman as he is an improviser, though. Most of his deadliness comes from his creative use of lashings inside cluttered buildings and his skill in unarmed combat when he can kill most oponents with a touch.

While he is most likely a better fighter than Kaladin and probably could defeat Adolin in shardless combat, Dalinar is likely to defeat him without magic, and he certainly isn't up there with Vasher, Arsteel and Denth.

Of course, in a powers allowed, all versus all melee, I'd bet on him.

EDIT: As long as it is in a interior space with plenty of objects to lash. A windrunner proper like Kaladin would probably defeat him in open air, since his ability to adapt to fast changes of direction and creative lashings would matter less than raw stormlight efficience and healing.

Edited by CognitivePulsePattern

• Chaos locked this topic