Demoux knew about flowers

Stormgate

In WoA, Demoux preaches to primitive Survivorists about flowers, a yellow sun, and no ashmounts. When questioned, Demoux had no explanation for how he knew about these things, or that Vin would make them happen. Terris prophecies show that Preservation could see the future. Was Demoux getting Preservation-granted future sight, possibly as a result of the mists?

He hadn't Snapped yet, it was probably being around the crew and Kelsier that got him to know about flowers, since Kell had that rumpled picture of the flower that Mare used to carry.

Edited for flow and clarification.

Edited by Khyrindor

Do we actually even know that Demoux is originally from Scadrial?  We know he's a Worldhopper and part of the 17th Shard, could he have been caught up in the rebellion on Scadrial as a young recruit, on one of his first hops?

If he is actually a Skaa and from Scadrial, I'm gonna say he either heard from Kelsier or someone spreading those stories who had heard it from him, or from someone recruiting him to the 17th Shard.

jW

Do we actually even know that Demoux is originally from Scadrial?  We know he's a Worldhopper and part of the 17th Shard, could he have been caught up in the rebellion on Scadrial as a young recruit, on one of his first hops?

If he is actually a Skaa and from Scadrial, I'm gonna say he either heard from Kelsier or someone spreading those stories who had heard it from him, or from someone recruiting him to the 17th Shard.

jW

If he is from somewhere else, maybe Southern Scadrial or Nalthis would fit.

Do we actually even know that Demoux is originally from Scadrial? We know he's a Worldhopper and part of the 17th Shard, could he have been caught up in the rebellion on Scadrial as a young recruit, on one of his first hops?

jW

He eventually Snaps, so he has to have a significant amount of Scadrian sDNA. Dosen't mean his a native, but his parent (s) almost certainly were.

I highly doubt he was already a member of the 17th shard or a worldhopper before he snapped. What little we know about worldhopping indicates that one has to have SOME sort of power to make it work, and Demoux didn't snap until HoA. Plus, it really cheapens his story if he were an agent for some outside force all along. it would mean the whole Church of the Survivor that he basically founded was nothing more than a cynical ploy of some kind by the 17th Shard. I like it much better if all of his story was leading to his eventually discovering so much more out in the Cosmere rather than knowing it all along.

I highly doubt he was already a member of the 17th shard or a worldhopper before he snapped. What little we know about worldhopping indicates that one has to have SOME sort of power to make it work, and Demoux didn't snap until HoA. Plus, it really cheapens his story if he were an agent for some outside force all along. it would mean the whole Church of the Survivor that he basically founded was nothing more than a cynical ploy of some kind by the 17th Shard. I like it much better if all of his story was leading to his eventually discovering so much more out in the Cosmere rather than knowing it all along.

Here's something you don't say everyday..."I agree with the killer squirrel"...it just doesn't seem to fit the story for him to have been an agent of 17th shard at such an early point in the story...now...I don't know if this has any bearing what so ever (in fact probably not)...but he was a Seer right?  

Here's something you don't say everyday..."I agree with the killer squirrel"...it just doesn't seem to fit the story for him to have been an agent of 17th shard at such an early point in the story...now...I don't know if this has any bearing what so ever (in fact probably not)...but he was a Seer right?

Eventually became a Seer. His time in Luthadel was before he Snapped

We know at a minimum he was a Seer. Do we see proof he wasn't Mistborn?

Not directly, but remember that his unit was set apart because they were all sick for an unusual amount of time and all for roughly the same amount of time. If Demoux was a Mistborn, then it follows that his entire unit of Mistfallen was also Mistborn, but not a single one of them instinctively burned a trace metal.

then it follows that his entire unit of Mistfallen was also Mistborn, but not a single one of them instinctively burned a trace metal.

not noticeably, but remember that Vin's burning of trace metals was barely noticeable.

I'm not saying it's likely, but at the same time I'd like to think Demoux was more than a Seer misting if he joined the 17th Shard and began world hopping.

We know at a minimum he was a Seer. Do we see proof he wasn't Mistborn?

Actually, yes. I believe Elend gives him a vial of metals to try burning at the Terris community (formerly known as the Pits of Hathsin) before giving him a bead of Atium. Demoux couldn't sense any metal reserves except the Atium.

Actually, yes. I believe Elend gives him a vial of metals to try burning at the Terris community (formerly known as the Pits of Hathsin) before giving him a bead of Atium. Demoux couldn't sense any metal reserves except the Atium.

Indeed other metals were tried

:

None of the metals Demoux had given his soldiers had worked. Elend had been working under the assumption that Demoux’s group would be like the other mistfallen back in Fadrex—that they’d be composed of all kinds of Mistings. Yet, there had been something different about Demoux’s group. They had fallen sick for far longer than the others.

Elend pushed forward, rushing past Sazed, grabbing a handful of beads. A vast wealth, unlike anything any man had ever possessed. Valuable for its rarity. Valuable for its economic power. Valuable for its Allomancy . “Demoux,” he snapped, rising and tossing the bead to him. “Eat this.”

I'm moving this to Cosmere theories, since this thread has become all about the 17th Shard and Demoux's appearance on Roshar.

I highly doubt he was already a member of the 17th shard or a worldhopper before he snapped. What little we know about worldhopping indicates that one has to have SOME sort of power to make it work,

Nazh comes from a planet where there's not enough magic to have powers of your own. I don't think it's necessary. Shardpools seem to be all you need, though Rock implies that those can be poisonous (though they may just think that because people who go down far enough don't come out).

Ah, but was it Preservation, the in-Cosmere 17S, or some unknown force, like maybe Hoid? I like the Preservation idea myself, but anything is possible.

I don't think Preservation had enough Mind left to be able to communicate something like that secretly and directly.

Given time and Demoux trusting the Mist Spirit, I don't doubt that Preservation could write it out, but then I would expect Demoux to tell Vin about something like that.

• Chaos locked this topic