So I'm reading Sea Wolf by Jack London for literature class. It's pretty good so far but the plot line feels familiar for some reason.

Let's see: Man who knows next to nothing about sailing ends up on the worst ship he could possibly be on and ends up going on a sea hunting voyage only to discover the captain is pretty much a lunatic. Now where have I seen this before??

Seriously though, I don't mind this book. It's a good book so far, but if Wolf Larsen announces to the crew that they're going off to hunt for the mystical and immortal white seal, I will scream.

I don't know the time period, but you can probably take comfort in the fact that Jack London came up with his plot independently, either because he wrote it first or because Moby Dick was such a commercial failure, we only know about it today because someone after Mieville's death in college "rediscovered it" and brought it to academic rock stardom.

Thus proving that whole "test of time" deal is hokum. ;)

Should I do it? I'm gonna do it.

Okay, so this is an old Doctor Who theory of mine, exactly as I first wrote it (except for grammar and spelling, which have been corrected). It was my first real theory, and it made me rather excited. Unfortunately, I poked a hole the size of Belgium in it the next day, but I figured I'd still share it for nostalgia's sake or something.

Anyways. Seasons 7 & 8 spoilers.

Behold as I propose a most wondrous theory!

*DOCTOR WHO SEASONS 7 & 8 SPOILERS AHEAD*

*CERTAIN CONFUSION FOR NON-WHOVIANS AHEAD*

Okay, so I was just sitting there, doing school, daydreaming about TARDISes, when this idea struck me. Now, I apologize if there's a tumblr user out there who already came up with this, but dang this was so awesome I had to share it.

If you've already seen seasons 7 & 8 of Doctor Who, great. But if you haven't, or just need a refresher, then basically what happens is this:

At the end of season 7, the Doctors (that's right, all thirteen of him) save Gallifrey from the destruction caused by the war and their own intervention. They hide it in a pocket universe so the Daleks will still think it blew up. The whole problem now is where to find it.

Then, in season 8, various people have died and found themselves in "Heaven," greeted by a strange character known as Missy. In the season finale, Missy turns out to be the Doctor's arch-nemesis, the Master (Wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey, don't ask). Point being, before she died in the last episode, she tells the Doctor where Gallifrey is hidden: its original location. He goes and checks, but... it's not there. After beating the living time out of the TARDIS console, he hears a knock at the door.

It's Santa.

Enter the Christmas special. I've already spent enough time on the other bits of backstory, so long story short: Creepy carnivorous dream crab things, Arctic base, and Santa is actually a figment of their imagination to snap them out of the crab-induced dreams. It was all very Inception-esque.

So then why is Santa showing up immediately after the Doctor failed to find Gallifrey?

My conclusion: Gallifrey's still there, Missy wasn't lying, OMIGOSH MOFFAT HURRY UP WITH SEASON 9 ALREADY.

So there's my crackpot theory. Agree with it, poke holes in it, all I know is that this show has already messed with my emotions way too much

Apologies if this was in anyway incoherent, I was /waaay/ too excited that I finally came up with a viable, plausible theory

Doctor Who is just awesome, people.

This theory is mega-valid.  In space and time plus pocket universes, bubble universes, and whatnot, "original location" is a vague term.

Oh!  Oh! (spoilers for, err... let's say Day of the Doctor through Series 9)

Combine him not seeing it with the invisible Skaro trick, which the Doctor seemed unfamiliar with but Missy picked up on quickly, and... eh?  Right?  Gallifrey, both in a different form (little cube, painting, what have you) and invisible.

Wanna know what the worst feeling in the world is? It's that feeling you get when you see a spoiler tag that deals with information that is one flipping season ahead of you in your favorite show, and it takes all the strength and willpower you have not to click that little tiny button.  :ph34r: *sigh* Who knew such a small button could cause such a large amount of pain?  

Wanna know what the worst feeling in the world is? It's that feeling you get when you see a spoiler tag that deals with information that is one flipping season ahead of you in your favorite show, and it takes all the strength and willpower you have not to click that little tiny button.  :ph34r: *sigh* Who knew such a small button could cause such a large amount of pain?  

I don't know if it's better or worse when you're closer to being able to enjoy it. When Firefight came out, I had to wait a week before I could get my hands on a copy. Everyone else was posting spoiler tag after spoiler tag, but I ignored my natural inclination to peek and left them alone. 

….at first. :ph34r: 

Oh, come on! They were in the Question thread, and I'm the GM! It was information I needed to run the game effectively, and if I hadn't peeked, I….

sigh

Okay, fine. There was no good reason for me to look. But I'm not lying when I say that knowing some of the bigger spoilers going in did in no way impact my enjoyment of the story. I'd even say that a couple of the spoilers enhanced my initial reading. 

I'm not helping you resist, am I? :mellow: 

I don't know if it's better or worse when you're closer to being able to enjoy it. When Firefight came out, I had to wait a week before I could get my hands on a copy. Everyone else was posting spoiler tag after spoiler tag, but I ignored my natural inclination to peek and left them alone. 

….at first. :ph34r: 

Oh, come on! They were in the Question thread, and I'm the GM! It was information I needed to run the game effectively, and if I hadn't peeked, I….

sigh

Okay, fine. There was no good reason for me to look. But I'm not lying when I say that knowing some of the bigger spoilers going in did in no way impact my enjoyment of the story. I'd even say that a couple of the spoilers enhanced my initial reading. 

I'm not helping you resist, am I? :mellow:

Primoridial GM?

I finally got around to starting Firefight, I read the first hundred pages last night before going to bed.

It is really... really... good...

My only response so far is something along the line of looking in the mirror and being like:

55495552.jpg

Edited by Iron Eyes

Primordial soup from which earth life is theorized to have formed?

Or soup so old those who eat it say it must date from the beginning of the universe? :ph34r:

You're both on the right track, but it's actually a direct quote from something.  Problem is, I'm not sure if there are enough people around here familiar enough with the old-school portion of that fandom to get it.

Since the word bassoon already has bass in it, if you were to make a piccolo bassoon wouldn't it just be called an oon?

I'm pretty sure that there's already a name for that.  It's called an "oboe".  :)

My father and brother are extremely confident about their writing. When they write a line that they think is superb, you'd think they were quoting J. R. R. Tolkien for how much they quote themselves and praise the greatness of the sentence.

Me? I can't write anything without the words looking dumb and ridiculous to my eyes immediately afterwards.

I wish I knew how to confidence. -_-

My father and brother are extremely confident about their writing. When they write a line that they think is superb, you'd think they were quoting J. R. R. Tolkien for how much they quote themselves and praise the greatness of the sentence.

Me? I can't write anything without the words looking dumb and ridiculous to my eyes immediately afterwards.

I feel you.

I feel you.

Me too. :mellow:

Edited by TwiLyghtSansSparkles

Me too. :mellow: Even when people tell me that what I wrote is amazing, I still think it looks stupid. 

Just yesterday my nine year-old brother wrote a story about a genie, which included the line "You can wish for neither life nor death, love nor hate."

He came up with that all by himself.

7d19cd1837d6dc5b926de6b2e371c76b.png  WHY IS MY BABY BROTHER A BETTER WRITER THAN I AM?

Edited by Kobold King

Just yesterday my nine year-old brother wrote a story about a genie, which included the line "You can wish for neither life nor death, love nor hate."

7d19cd1837d6dc5b926de6b2e371c76b.png  WHY IS MY BABY BROTHER A BETTER WRITER THAN I AM?

Heh. When I was nine, I was writing stories called "The Knight and the Dragon," a veritable feast of cliches with tropes on top. My sister wrote a story about two kids being offered everything they ever wanted by a guy who looks like Santa, but it turns out his bag of presents is really a black hole. 

Edited by TwiLyghtSansSparkles

Oh my Mistcoat! I suck!

I feel like the big brother of the next Tolkien or Charles Dickens. The only mention of my name in future history will be a namedrop in the "Early Life" section of my brother's Wikipedia article.

And with my luck, I'll be the one to get cropped out of his picture.

Are you kidding?  You're an awesome writer! Two prime examples: The post about you being a mighty space dragon, and the ones you wrote for my little writing prompt over in creators corner! That was some fine writing, my friend.

Still, I know how you feel.

Me at age 10: I'll write a story full of all the tropes I know, about a girl born with silver hair! 

My brother at age 10: makes up a creepy story that still freaks me out to this day.

Look at the bright side Kobold, you definetly aren't suffering from the Dunning–Kruger effect, so you are good enough to improve yourself. Not that I know anything about your families writting to judge them (altough that genie line isn't that great :ph34r: ) what I do know is that your writing is quite good already. In fact it is so good that I wish there was more of it. :ph34r:

I wonder if I still have the first creepy pasta I wrote somewhere... (Hint: It's chull dung)

Oh, yes, EDIT: Kobold Ive lurked the creation daily thread, your ideas are amazing. I read through them and think: "Storms I wish i could come up with something half as awesome as that."

Edited by Morzathoth

I really want to accuse Kobold of fishing for compliments, because his writing is so badchull and everybody knows it.

Problem is, he's too darn nice to do that. So I can only assume that he actually believes that his writing isn't good enough, or something.

So here's this, Kobold:

Whenever I read something you write (whether it be one of your stories or a well-crafted post), I genuinely take pleasure in reading it. I'll read it two or three times, just to revel in the way you put words together. Your writing gift goes beyond simple loquaciousness. You know how to use words to not only convey your intended meaning, but your intended emotion, as well. You always come across to me as someone who really believes in your writing. Almost like you can empathize with words like you empathize with people (which is a really weird way of putting it, but the best comparison I can come up with).

Edited by Kipper