Updated synopsis for words of radiance

gruntle

Not sure about that last point. Spren are only attracted to certain things, and I don't think Taravangian quite manages to even fit the First Ideal - "Journey before destination" runs counter to his philosophy.

Erm, I think you are confusing things a bit...

"Journey before destination" is a Knights Radiant ideal. It is not related to the ability to surgebind. There have been surgebinders before KR, before the ideals. The ideals and the Words empower a surgebinder, they do not make him a surgebinder.

Based on his way of acting, he would not attract a honorspren, but there are spren "less discerning". Mr. T cannot be a KR, cannot achieve the ideals, but he can be a surgebinder.

Edited by marianmi

Erm, I think you are confusing things a bit...

"Journey before destination" is a Knights Radiant ideal. It is not related to the ability to surgebind. There have been surgebinders before KR, before the ideals. The ideals and the Words empower a surgebinder, they do not make him a surgebinder.

Based on his way of acting, he would not attract a honorspren, but there are spren "less discerning". Mr. T cannot be a KR, cannot achieve the ideals, but he can be a surgebinder.

Thank you for the reminder of what I frequently forget; in theory, one can be a Surgebinder without being a Radiant. Too often, I personally conflate the two. And you're right, Shallan isn't terribly honest, she seems to attract the Cryptics because they are attracted to people who hold great secrets that no one else knows. Taravagian certainly fits that bill.

Thank you for the reminder of what I frequently forget; in theory, one can be a Surgebinder without being a Radiant. Too often, I personally conflate the two. And you're right, Shallan isn't terribly honest, she seems to attract the Cryptics because they are attracted to people who hold great secrets that no one else knows. Taravagian certainly fits that bill.

Just a note, the Cryptic does not ask for a secret.  Rather, it asks for a truth.  In Shallan's first trip to Shadesmar, when asked, "What are you?", Shallan replies, "I'm terrified!" which the Cryptic acknowledges as truth and pops her into Shadesmar.  for the second trip, the Cryptic indicates, "you need to tell me something true.  The more true, the stronger our bond."  He does go on to indicate, "the stronger the truth, the more hidden it is, the more powerful the bond."  So, secrets play a role, but are not required.

I believe Stoneward is the current term, which gets confused with Stormwardens (the non-KR order).

All the KR orders had this pleasant 1-2 syllable pattern. Wind runn-er, Light weav-er, Sky break-er, Edge dance-ers, Else call-ers, Dust bring-ers.

And then we get Stonewards.

I like consistency, so I figure it's probably short for Stonewarden. That's why I use it.

Of course, Bondsmith also screws things up. This makes me sad. I may be forced to go back to Stoneward.

All the KR orders had this pleasant 1-2 syllable pattern. Wind runn-er, Light weav-er, Sky break-er, Edge dance-ers, Else call-ers, Dust bring-ers.

And then we get Stonewards.

I like consistency, so I figure it's probably short for Stonewarden. That's why I use it.

Of course, Bondsmith also screws things up. This makes me sad. I may be forced to go back to Stoneward.

It's not really inconsistent.  A ward and Smith are both words for a "job type"  so actually smith, dancer, bringer, runner, ward they all fit together.

I... feel compelled to point out the inconsistency introduced by having the fanbase refer to the same thing in 2 different ways, and further confusing a KR order with a group of meteorologists.

I'm a little late to the topic, especially the question of who wrote the cover blurbs, but my thought is that it is not Hoid.  I don't really think Hoid writes the Ars Arcanum either.  My theory is that this is what the Seventeenth Shard organization does. As non-interventionist observers, I'm thinking the whole point of the organization is to study the cosmere and record important events and information.  So they compile Ars Arcanum info about the magic systems, etc. and record the major events on the various planets as they unfold. This also leads me to speculate that someday, Jasnah will learn world-hopping (she already knows Shadesmar), and join the Seventeenth shard.  It would be cool if in the third Mistborn series we came across an enormous library where the Seventeenth Shard keep all the records they've gathered over the millennia.  

Sorry for getting off topic a little... I have a tendency towards wild speculation and rambling...

OK, I need to spend more time perusing the forums OTHER than the Steelhunt one. I just found the updated synopsis on my own and was all HOOOOLLLYYYYY  :o  and came to post it, then found this thread....lol

My guess is that the writer of the synopses is one of the less crazy Heralds. Maybe Nalan? He seems to be keeping tabs on everyone, and the dark tone seems to fit him well, assuming he is who we think he is.  :ph34r: Only thing is, it sounds like this guy wants the Radiants to return, which I don't think Nalan does...

It is the nature of the magic. A broken soul has cracks into which something else can be fit.  Surgebindings, the powers of creation themselves.  They can brace a broken soul; but they can also widen its fissures.

Does this sound like Cultivation to anyone else? 

Also, y'all are sooo sure of yourselves...I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the Lightweaver is Rysn!  :P

A thought that suddenly struck me: I think I know why Darkness is killing Surgebinders. Let's take a look at that quote again:

It is the nature of the magic. A broken soul has cracks into which something else can be fit. Surgebindings, the powers of creation themselves. They can brace a broken soul; but they can also widen its fissures.

I don't this he's talking about what we think he's talking about. Well, he is, but what if the same thing also goes for the Soul of Roshar? Consider this quote:

Nepene
Do cosmere planets have a soul, like in final fantasy?
Brandon Sanderson
Yes.

Surgebinders might be doing unhealthy stuff to the world just by being around.

• 1 month later...

From TWoK:

There are four whom we watch. The first is the surgeon, forced to put aside healing to become a soldier in the most brutal war of our time. The second is the assassin, a murderer who weeps as he kills. The third is the liar, a young woman who wears a scholar’s mantle over the heart of a thief. The last is the highprince, a warlord whose eyes have opened to the past as his thirst for battle wanes.

From where did you find it?

I had read a post sometime ago. Brandon signed a copy of a new book for a fan. That fan requested info about Renarin. Brandons clue said something like this "Renarin sees a spen no one else does". I think he should be on the list somwhere for a possible radiant. Also in WOK he runs into battle with no armor or blade drawn pretty confident about himself. And of course wits little quip about him being made of sterner stuff. Im almost 100% sure he will be some kind of radiant. And it would seem with his weaknesses he could die and be reborn stronger.

• 1 month later...

Hi There, first time posting...

In responce to the question about Eshonai being the "Explorer".. (I hope this hasn't been addressed yet, if so.. Sorry!)

Isn't she an interlude character (as in, other than an occasional sighting, and one big fight, aren't all her appearances in the WoR in interlude chapters)? There is a quote by Brandon out there (Sorry, I cant find it atm) where he said that the interlude characters will not become main POV characters... wouldn't it be odd then, to include her (as the "Explorer"), in a list of characters that are known to be main POV characters?

Just wondering...

-J

• Chaos locked this topic