Classic Trell

Oudeis

Except the sevententh shard does not seems nefarious at all. Except for the Ars Arcanum Author. No one in their right mind would say hemalurgy isn't evil.

It's one of the only methods to kill near-immortal people like Miles or TLR. It can be used without being an awful terrible person, though I'd agree most don't use it that way.

Plus accidentaly starting a plague in the purelake by bringing non-native viruses while searching for Hoid is not a sign of competence.

It's the common cold. Not much of a plague, is it?

It's one of the only methods to kill near-immortal people like Miles or TLR. It can be used without being an awful terrible person, though I'd agree most don't use it that way.

It's the common cold. Not much of a plague, is it?

Well, with the WoBs about a person's soul being affected by hemalurgy only in the linger period before the true afterlife, I can accept it is not so horrible as to make its use unthinkable.

About the plague, you must remember Rosharans have no defenses against the common cold aside from the health boost from high ambient investiture. It is a potentialy terrible pandemy in the making.

I don't think Trell is Bavadin/Autonomy especially after rereading AoL, when Wax is talking to Harmony at the end, Saze says something along the lines of getting the people to make their decisions

I think the logical steps between the evidence and conclusion are kinda . . . missing, from this sentence?

Edited by natc

Well, looked it up for you, Paragrin, and it's interesting.

Seems pretty much like Autonomy to me. Perhaps that's an intentional red herring, though.

I always read it as Brandon smirkingly writing a "religion" into a book based on all of us crazies constantly asking him questions and many of the answers returned are "Read and Find Out." 

That quote doesn't at all seem like Autonomy to me. Autonomy is supposed to be all about figuring things out for yourself, not relying on structured power, fighting the system, and hyper-individualism. The idea of "Ask Trell, and he will answer" seems very much in keeping with a top-down structure of obedience and dependence.

I'm with you on this one. This is my biggest hang up with the "Trell is Autonomy" line of reasoning.

2) Trell is a prank by Hoid or some other powerful Worldhopper. I like Hoid for it, because the idea of setting up an intrinsically ridiculous sounding religion and then checking back in a thousand years and seeing what became of it seems right up Hoid's alley.

IS that right up Hoid's Alley? He is a smart-chull surely, but do we see him making large changes to a culture in the cosmere for no other purpose than having a laugh at the effects he can have over a thousand years? I don't see him exerting that kind of influence.

He's always either a cameo level innocuous activity or much more purposeful in directly and overtly nudging specific individuals and things that will then leverage great change.

We see him chatting up a wedding party, but don't see him interacting with anyone important. He gives some information to Kelsier that could have been gotten through other means.He's there to meet Vin, but she bugs out.  Innocuous.

or overt like making sure Wax gets to places he needs to be safely without the Set getting him.

Stormlight Spoilers

See also seeding Dalinar with info about Adonalsium, the flute and story for Kal, that business with the honorblade

@KillerSquirrel, Cadmium

Yeah, I see your point of view, there. I can't say I'm particularly leaning either way on this one (anymore), since I've seen good arguments on both sides.

IS that right up Hoid's Alley?

Yeah, I doubt this as well. Hoid seems to have quite a sense of humor, but he also seems to have a good sense for when things are important and when they aren't. I doubt he'd create a religion as a joke (assuming the intention was that anyone would actually believe in it).

IS that right up Hoid's Alley? He is a smart-chull surely, but do we see him making large changes to a culture in the cosmere for no other purpose than having a laugh at the effects he can have over a thousand years? I don't see him exerting that kind of influence.

He's always either a cameo level innocuous activity or much more purposeful in directly and overtly nudging specific individuals and things that will then leverage great change.

We see him chatting up a wedding party, but don't see him interacting with anyone important. He gives some information to Kelsier that could have been gotten through other means.He's there to meet Vin, but she bugs out.  Innocuous.

or overt like making sure Wax gets to places he needs to be safely without the Set getting him.

Stormlight Spoilers

See also seeding Dalinar with info about Adonalsium, the flute and story for Kal, that business with the honorblade

Not so much directly starting a ridiculous religion intentionally. However, I could definitely see him making a few smart-chull comments to the right/wrong people, fully intended to mean nothing, then coming back in a thousand years and laughing his chull off these people had built a religion around what he had meant to be a bad joke.

Except the sevententh shard does not seems nefarious at all. Except for the Ars Arcanum Author. No one in their right mind would say hemalurgy isn't evil.

Plus accidentaly starting a plague in the purelake by bringing non-native viruses while searching for Hoid is not a sign of competence.

Depends on the morality system. Journey before destination, it'll always be wrong. Ends justify the means and it could be right.

The religion of Trell speaks of Trell's thousand eyes, dominated by his brother's single, blazing, jealous eye.

Stormlight Archive

Is this same Shard responsible for the religion of the Purelake, where Ru Nalik is worshipped, but his jealous brother Vun Makak is ostensibly worshipped?

Thousand eyes in the night, doesn't that reminds you of ... Nightwatcher?

The Cosmere actually stretches into the Malazan universe.  Expect to see a Mappo cameo sometime in the future.

You get an Upvote for this. I've been reading the Malazan books(just finished Deadhouse Gates, actually), and I kept getting tripped up whenever they mentioned Mappo is a Trell. I'd pause and think "But how d-oh, right. Different Trell."

• 3 weeks later...

My theory is that trell just happened to be a god worshiped in an ancient religion on scardial. Sort of like Thor on our world. Marasi mentioning him is more of a nod to the information that dazed put in the historica. Also to serve as a red herring and throw off the fan base.

Accidentaly downvoted. Can someone upvote to fix?

• Chaos locked this topic