Thoughts about the alternate ending to WoA

FirstSelector

The alternate ending to WoA has intrigued me for some time, despite the fact that it isn't canon.  Specifically, when Sazed is attacked by Marsh at the Inquisitor headquarters, he is stopped abruptly when the mist spirit appears.  Then, three more mist spirits appear and cause Marsh to run away.

I have long that the other mist spirits were other Shards, come to Scadrial to ensure that Sazed survived to take up Preservation and Ruin.  Support for this was originally from the introduction, that there is a "very, very small" hint about Adonalsium in the deleted ending.

I asked him about this at the signing today in San Francisco, and he sort dodged if they were Shards with a huge grin on his face.  He said that there are other things that manifest in that way, but we have actually met one of those spirits.

Brandon was pretty explicit that we have met one of those three mist spirits.  It's been a while since I re-read the Era 1 trilogy, but I do not recall ever having directly met a kandra or Terris ancestor who would have been deceased at that time.

Given that the mist spirit itself was already a shadow of Leras, maybe the others were such as well, possibly Kelsier or Tindwyl.

• Chaos locked this topic