Hello Cosmere! Greetings from China!

Botanica

Say hi to everyone! I've been lurking here for months but dare not to post anything, but it's not fun so I decide to make my first move!

My name is Botanica and you can call me Bota for short. I come from China, warm greetings to all of you!

I got the chance to know Mr. Sanderson' work at the beginning of this year. When I occasionally picked up Elantris in library, I didn't even know anything anout the author and the worlds he creats. But it was a very enjoyable read, a read so breath-taking that I just couldn't put the book down. After that I gathered almost all of his books and wow I like every one of them! However, only part of the books get translated into simplified Chinese so I had to read the original text to complete my knowledge. Yeah it's another kind of amazing experience! =) I began to read The Way of Kings in March and then finally realized the existence of the vast Cosmere. Thanks to the Coppermind wiki and of course also the 17th Shard forum, I get to know many things around this universe!

That's the introduction. It's very nice to meet you guys in this great forum!

BTW actually I'm not very good at making speculations or elaborating theories (That's why I always love to read other people's thoughts…I have a slow brain…) but sometimes I do Cosmere fanarts and that's all I can contribute to the fandom. Gotta try my best!

Welcome Botanica, we are glad that you are here, (and in a more personal note I think that you are awesome and really like your drawings). =)

If you need something just ask, the folks here are top notch, and I'm sure that you gonna enjoy the forum.

=)

Welcome, Bota. Glad to meet you. Hope to hear some of your ideas.

Yeah, I'll try it hard!

Welcome Botanica, we are glad that you are here, (and in a more personal note I think that you are awesome and really like your drawings). =)

If you need something just ask, the folks here are top notch, and I'm sure that you gonna enjoy the forum.

=)

Wow, I had no idea that you were from China! That's so awesome :D As Natans said, I love your art. I'm so glad that you're here!

Whoa thank you so much!! (People see my fanarts?! *o*) 17S is awesome and I'll surely stay here for a long long time!

This is this Botanica, by the way, folks. You know, in case you've been living under a rock lately. A boring and deprived rock with no Internet.

Now, this being out of the way...

Hello, and welcome! I can assure you that the only people who will not be delighted to have you here are the ones who don't know you are here. Their loss, I say. Our gain :) 

I can relate to the feeling of not reading Brandon in English (first) though. Although I've only read him in English, I've leafed through the pages of a few of his translated works, and it just doesn't feel the same. It's interesting, of course, but it doesn't feel like him. It's not just language specific jokes (I can't even begin to imagine Wit's mocking translated in another language) and compound words (Shardblade was translated roughly as "Spell Sword," for example). It's different. But! You've read the originals, and that puts you in a wonderful position to appreciate his work to its fullest. That's what matters (liking and appreciating his work, not reading it in English) :)

This is this Botanica, by the way, folks. You know, in case you've been living under a rock lately. A boring and deprived rock with no Internet.

Now, this being out of the way...

Hello, and welcome! I can assure you that the only people who will not be delighted to have you here are the ones who don't know you are here. Their loss, I say. Our gain :)

I can relate to the feeling of not reading Brandon in English (first) though. Although I've only read him in English, I've leafed through the pages of a few of his translated works, and it just doesn't feel the same. It's interesting, of course, but it doesn't feel like him. It's not just language specific jokes (I can't even begin to imagine Wit's mocking translated in another language) and compound words (Shardblade was translated roughly as "Spell Sword," for example). It's different. But! You've read the originals, and that puts you in a wonderful position to appreciate his work to its fullest. That's what matters (liking and appreciating his work, not reading it in English) :)

Wow really?! That's totally beyond my imagination! I had no idea at first that there're people visit my tumblr… Every time someone likes my post, I'll be nothing but grateful! Thank you, all of you!!! (I just don't know how to say it…)

Speak of the translation, yeah there's a lot to tell! Brandon's Cosmere books get almost translated in mainland China. We have Elantris, Mistborn and The Way of Kings. Emperor's Soul gets translated in a sci-fi/fantasy magazine (It took lots of effort to finally get this issue…). But we still couldn't see Warbreaker and Alloy of Law coming out, and that's why I envy the readers in Taiwan - they get all of them!

I read Elantris and Mistborn in Chinese first. They were published by a not so eminent publishing house and I have to say that the translation is not satisfying. Everyone can sense it even without reading the original text! Unfortunately! Then I got the ebook version in English and could finally enjoy the story (Sadly time is not enough for me to read through them…).

I read Warbreaker only in English thanks to the free download on Brandon's website. It's very interesting! Then come to AoL, I read it in Taiwan version first (It's funny that I read it even before finishing the trilogy…) but the translation difference makes it hard for me to understand the plot well. So I decide to reread it in English later! And still Emperor's Soul and TWoK, I'm so excited that I read them through in both languages! Gold star for TWoK! It took me nearly two months to finish the hardcover in the first half of this year (Reading time was so limited everyday!). I really loved it and it also gave me strength to live a better life 'cause I was undergoing a very difficult time. Then I was totally shocked at the news that the simplified Chinese version would come out in summer (finally, after three years!!). The publisher changes and the translation is so well done, so elaborate that I thought I would almost cry… I collated both versions carefully and trust me our beloved TWoK is fairly treated! Most fantasy readers around me get to know Brandon via this work and I believe the fandom will grow more and more quickly in the future since the publisher says they will absolutely do the whole series. It's also interesting that this publishing house also does ASoIaF and many other awesome epic fantasy series so the readers from other fandoms will probably also join the Cosmere family, amazing!

I really love Brandon's writing style and I think I'll surely read his future books in original text first! Another reason is that translation calls for long-time waiting and that's too painful!!! I also have the desire to collect the original version of a book in foreign language that I like then buy the translated copy. Since I study German I really want to read TWoK in German but it's hard to get one… Haha =D The only one who will suffer that is definitely my wallet… And whoa I'm dying to read Words of Radiance!!!

Edited by Botanica

Wow really?! That's totally beyond my imagination! I had no idea at first that there're people visit my tumblr… Every time someone likes my post, I'll be nothing but grateful! Thank you, all of you!!! (I just don't know how to say it…)

*Cofcofcof*  Don't forget the people thar follow  your deviantart page ;)

I really loved it and it also gave me strength to live a better life 'cause I was undergoing a very difficult time. 

Well, I can relate with this felling. In the begin of this year, and even now, read WoK helped me to keep going when my ground was taked from me.

It's funny how, sometimes, a book can make you a better person. To me It was Kaladin history that motivated to don't give up and keep fighting, some day I will need pay my respect to Brandon for the help.

I sincerely hope Botanica, that everything turned allright for you. Best wishes. =)

Edited by Natans

*Cofcofcof* Don't forget the people thar follow your deviantart page ;)

Well can relate with this felling. In the begin of this year, and even now, read WoK helped me to keep going when my ground was taked from me.

It's funny how, sometimes, a book can make you a better person. To me It was Kaladin history that motivated to don't give up and keep fighting, some day I will need pay my respect to Brandon for the help.

I sincerely hope Botanica, that everything turned allright for you. Best wishes. =)

Oh yeah dear dA followers! Thank you sooo much! Forgive me! I'm not very active there and always avoid uploading art which is too rough, so I often forget I still have that place…

Ahhh Kaladin!!! His story arc encouraged me, too! Never give up! Do right things because they're right! I got so many feelings when reading his chapters and sometimes almost cried for them, so touching! When finishing the book my hard time was also gone. I'm deeply indebted to TWoK (and Brandon of course ^v^), glad that I chose to open it, a book that accompanied me for months and made me strong! This is exactly the reason why I can't understand the people who don't like SA. What?! They don't like it??? :D It's also interesting that a book written in another language gives me so many feelings and thoughts when I'm struggling with the original text. I believe TWoK is so far the only one among the fantasy books I've read! I can't wait to see how Brandon will handle the future books! They get very huge potential!

Edited by Botanica

Hey Botanica. You are seriously amazing, thank you so much for doing your art. I'm really glad you enjoyed WoK and were so inspired as to make such amazing artworks :D

Whoa hey Joe!!! Right the whole setting of SA is a great inspiration for me. If I can keep drawing in the future, I'll definitely keep doing fanart! It's incredible to imagine what the artists can do when the whole SA/Cosmere series come to an epic end! *o* (Really hope at that time I would still be drawing!)

I find it hard to believe you struggle with Brandon's original works...

:D At first it did, for me it's always hard to conquer the first pages of any books in another language, but if I make it and find the book is amazing then there's no problem! After flipping through so many English books this year my reading ability is far better than before. I can finally discard my dictionary (in most cases, though), yeah! Since Brandon's writing style is neat and direct, what I've said “struggle” may be inappropriate here. At the beginning of TWoK, yeah kind of, because there're so much information to remember (names, places, history background, mechanism of the magic system…aw…), and I had to make a long glossary and redraw the map in my notebook in case I might forget anything. This is my first time with an epic fantasy in English so it's special! It was sort of exhausting when I first got into it, but wow after a few chapters I was totally obsessed! The reading went more and more smoothly! This is a good sign I think. Ha I'll not be afraid of other books anymore!

Ahhh thank you guys for the upvote!!!!! I've never got so many… =)

WOAH! This post has been reported for attempting to skirt the rules?? Your fan-art... I think I'll just upvote all of your post on this thread now....

I mean, seriously?!

@Aether Yeah I'm the botanicaxu on tumblr and have just arrived here as a newbie. Thanks for the upvote!!!

Ahhh thank you guys for the upvote!!!!! I've never got so many… =)

@Aether Yeah I'm the botanicaxu on tumblr and have just arrived here as a newbie. Thanks for the upvote!!!

I might not have been very eloquent, but I was severely impressed by your art. Up-voting your posts on this thread is just an easy way of showing my appreciation. Keep up the good work !

I might not have been very eloquent, but I was severely impressed by your art. Up-voting your posts on this thread is just an easy way of showing my appreciation. Keep up the good work !

*o* Thanks!!! Sorry I can't find more words! Sure I will! (I really want to do something big recently, let's see whether I can finish the drawing later! =D)

Edited by Botanica

Welcome :)

Yeah... I kinda stalking your tumbr. And I like your art. Like a lot. And I usually stand out of any theory stuff, so you're not alone.

Hmm... a cup of tea and a biscuit?

I find it hard to believe you struggle with Brandon's original works...

Not everyone was born english-speaking. I wasn't for one. Though I haven't struggled since I'm used to reading nowadays. But when I was a student that was hard.

Welcome :)

Yeah... I kinda stalking your tumbr. And I like your art. Like a lot. And I usually stand out of any theory stuff, so you're not alone.

Hmm... a cup of tea and a biscuit?

Not everyone was born english-speaking. I wasn't for one. Though I haven't struggled since I'm used to reading nowadays. But when I was a student that was hard.

Wow hello!! Ah after reading your reply I really feel I'm not alone, thank you!!! :D

• 2 weeks later...

i would just like to say that you're super talented and should keep up the amazing artwork. your shallan has been my phones background for some time now. so thank you for awesome artwork and a rather late welcome to you too :)

Edited by Iredomi

I didn't move to an English-speaking country until I was 16, I know :P But her English looked far too grammatically correct for a foreigner who claims difficulty with the language :) The vocabulary is a little... flamboyant, I guess, which is something I tend to see from native Asian and Slavic speakers, but the grammar was pretty spot on. Don't kill me just yet :)

I didn't move to an English-speaking country until I was 16, I know :P But her English looked far too grammatically correct for a foreigner who claims difficulty with the language :) The vocabulary is a little... flamboyant, I guess, which is something I tend to see from native Asian and Slavic speakers, but the grammar was pretty spot on. Don't kill me just yet :)

Pray tell, dear chap, what it is that you call "flamboyant vocabulary" that is so prevalent in our posts? As a native Slavic speaker, it has piqued my curiousity :)

And Botanica: Nice chinese-style art :) (envies)

Ah, new replies, thanks! Sorry that I haven't checked this post for days. Well about the language... hmm I always want to improve my English after coming to college, but I get very few chances to really practice it. Since my major is another foreign language (horrible!!), it often clashes with the way of thinking in English. That's the problem and what I have to do is to somehow avoid the interference, very tough, though.

@Iredomi  Thank you! May Shallan bring you a lifetime of happiness! :)

@Sasukerinnegan  Please don't have trouble, my hard time with WoK is real... :P but it's all past and I believe I'll definitely enjoy WoR :D

@Argent  I agree with you!

@Satsuoni  Haha in fact the friends and some artists around me all say that what I draw is not "chinese-style art", 'cause they think my drawing style is (probably) rarely seen among those who do manga/comics/illustration/fanart in China. I don't know why. A bit relieved when seeing your comment! :)

Edited by Botanica