Wax's latest acquisition End of book spoilers

physicskid

At the end of the book wax is given an earring described as "a simple stud, with the end bent over". i suspect this is infact vins earring. I wonder why harmony wants him to have seeker abilities. So that he can look for agents of Trell perhaps?

Edited by physicskid

This is a big stretch, I think. All of the Pathian earrings are simple things.

Wax's previous earring was large enough to be stamped:

He reached into his pocket, fishing out his earring. It was a simple thing, stamped on the head with the ten interlocking rings of the Path.

If it's just a stud, there's no way it has a stamp on it, let alone one big enough to show enough detail to figure out it has ten(!) rings on it. So it's sufficiently different to be interesting, I think.

If Harmony wants Wax to be burning bronze, that would make sense. It might be capable of detecting things with this strange new god's Investiture.

Hmm, fair enough. I had remembered the "simple thing" bit, but not the intricacy of its design. I am still not ready to believe he got Vin's earring specifically, but I recognize the possibility and wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being the case.

It does seem pretty obvious that it is vin's earring. But will it still allow him to burn bronze? We have yet to see just how much hemalurgy degrades over time. It could be that after 400 years their is not enough remaining power to actually use. Maybe it will just allow communication like wax's previous earring.

It does seem pretty obvious that it is vin's earring. But will it still allow him to burn bronze? We have yet to see just how much hemalurgy degrades over time. It could be that after 400 years their is not enough remaining power to actually use. Maybe it will just allow communication like wax's previous earring.

Well, Marsh doesn't seem to have lost anything from his spikes (granted, they've been in his body). Vin sure took her earring out a bunch, and she could still pierce copperclouds with ease. I suspect that placing a spike "seals" it somehow, and the degradation (or at least significant degradation) only takes place after an ability has been stolen but before it has been bestowed.

Well, Marsh doesn't seem to have lost anything from his spikes (granted, they've been in his body). Vin sure took her earring out a bunch, and she could still pierce copperclouds with ease. I suspect that placing a spike "seals" it somehow, and the degradation (or at least significant degradation) only takes place after an ability has been stolen but before it has been bestowed.

This is not the case. Any time a spike is outside if a body, the investiture decays. It follows an exponential decay pattern, like radioactivity. Vin's merely hadn't decayed enough to put her below the "coppercloud-piercing" threshold yet. Something like wax's earring, on the other hand, which had been out of a body for centuries, would end up with only a faint charge.

(This was my question to Brandon at the signing - when the transcript goes up, then we'll actually have a WoB to link to)

Ah, well, in that case, it's still difficult to know how much any given spike had degraded, since the kandra are probably protecting them by carrying them in their bodies. That's just an assumption on my part, but it seems to make sense. MeLaan did give Wax his earring, after all.

Sorry to poke holes, but couldn't Harmony just "recharge" the earring so to speak? I mean the Lord Ruler was able to use the well of Ascension to make himself OP in allomancy, and Harmony has already changed the way allomancy works on Scadrial, so wouldn't it make sense that with Ruin he could recharge the Hemuralgic spike so that its decay was minimal?

As another side note, could it be possible that the spike had been recharged with another kill? Find a seeker who is born and about to die due to complications and have a Kandra or Marsh use the earring to recharge the spike?

Sorry to poke holes, but couldn't Harmony just "recharge" the earring so to speak? I mean the Lord Ruler was able to use the well of Ascension to make himself OP in allomancy, and Harmony has already changed the way allomancy works on Scadrial, so wouldn't it make sense that with Ruin he could recharge the Hemuralgic spike so that its decay was minimal?

As another side note, could it be possible that the spike had been recharged with another kill? Find a seeker who is born and about to die due to complications and have a Kandra or Marsh use the earring to recharge the spike?

By the nature of Ruin I doubt Ruin (or the Ruin part of Harmony) could recharge the spike, it simply goes against the net loss principle.

Your 2nd point however I would say is quite plausible.

Preventing decay I can see, but I'm not sure recharging is possible. Remember, it's not just raw investiture inside the spike, it's a complex but constantly decaying structured fragment of a spiritweb. Reconstructing the charge will at the very least be a major pain in the backside, and deep knowledge in spiritual genetics.

As stated in another thread. Recent WoB is that there is a minimum charge to a hemalurgic spike that it will not decay beyond. So it will always have some charge.

Can you link this WoB? I haven't seen this, and the only recent one I know says it tends to go to 0.

While Harmony may not be able to "recharge" the earring, thus invalidating the net loss aspect of hemuralgy and Ruin's intent, maybe he was able to simply *stop* the decay using his Preservation powers?

So the spike can't been refilled back to what it was originally but it might no longer decay either. And If he stopped it way back after the Final Accession it might still be pretty potent 

presevration and ruihn both can cahrge hemalrugy yes ruin is jsut better because its his

Why not just have marsh or a kandra use the earing? It would be inside someone and thus not decay, marsh makes more sense as he would then be a 3x a powerful seeker, it seems that is the simplest solution.

Edit:auto correct is a biatch

Edited by signspace13

What has Harmony changed about allomancy? What have I missed?

Snapping works differently than it used to and arguably he changed the metals too, swapping Atium and Malatium for Bendalloy and Cadmium but that one's not exactly clear.