Broadsheet plus last chapter = ? (Comeric SPOILERS)

AndrewStirlingMacDonald

Now of course, the only time that Roshar is explicitly mentioned is in the Ars Arcanum, but I think that the broadsheet has given us a pretty good clue that Rosharians have visited Scadrial. Specifically, that "VISITORS from other WORLDS" illustration looks pretty clearly like a Parshendi to me. Furthermore, the description of the encounter seemed to very explicitly describe a Shardpool (similar to the one seen in Elantris or in the Horneater peaks). Both of Scadrial's Shardpools are accounted for in this book (Wax and TenSoon pass through the Pits of Hathsin and walk right past the Well of Ascension), so it seems pretty likely to me that this new metal is due to a new Shard setting up shop, probably with some intention of deHarmonizing the good folk of Scadrial.

Bleeder is not only mimicking Kell with her plans, she is also feeding the hatred the working class has for the rich. This screams of Odium to me. Of course she is also obsessed with freedom so it could be the shard of Freedom or something like that or it could actually be Kell, but Odium seems the most likely.

Slightly off topic: What are we calling the new Metal until we get the official name? Raysium? Trellium?

I don't know that the author of the AA is supposed to be Rosharian. I just assumed that it was some traveler who had been TO Roshar but wasn't FROM Roshar, just like they referenced Elantrian magic in the first one.

Um, I think we know that. Not sure why you mentioned it, especially since nobody is actually talking about the AA that I can tell :P

Edited by natc

When I first saw the picture in the broadsheet I thought of Iyatil and her mask instead of a Parshendi. It makes more sense as SoS takes place roughly the same time as WoR doesn't it? And I doubt any Listeners have time to worldhop while Everstorms are brewing. While we know that the Ghostbloods have worldhoppers in their ranks.

As for the pool, I think that may have been the Harmonypool. I don't think we know if the Pits or the Well are active anymore even if we saw their physical locations. And I doubt its a Third Shard as Harmony may have been unaware of the spike in Bleeder but I'd doubt he'd be ignorant if another of the 16 invested itself enough on Scadrial to form a Perpendicularity.   

The lake described in the broadsheet, I think we can all pretty much agree it's a Shardpool. And I am inclined to agree with @Zalocx's assessment that's it's probably Harmony's; Saze probably would've known if another Shard had become Invested in Scadrial - it sounds much more likely that the theorized Trell - whoever that ends up being - simply worked his Shardic magic to create Bleeder's spike(s?), not as a new magic system, but as an augmentation of the current Metallic Arts. 

Which, by the way, if true, makes a strong case for Shards being able to inject their own Investiture in other Shards' magic systems. I would expect that if Harmony went to Roshar he could create new type(s) of Radiants. New Surges at least.

I'm pretty sure that's supposed to be a Parshendi, not Iyatil, because of the beard. Granted, the image is based on testimony that isn't exactly the most reliable, but still...

Also, knowing that Bavadin's Shard is Autonomy makes me think that he's the one poking his nose into things on Scadrial, not Rayse.

I'm pretty sure that's supposed to be a Parshendi, not Iyatil, because of the beard. Granted, the image is based on testimony that isn't exactly the most reliable, but still...

Also, knowing that Bavadin's Shard is Autonomy makes me think that he's the one poking his nose into things on Scadrial, not Rayse.

I second that. 

White Sand spoilers.

REDACTED

Edited by Kurkistan
Removing White Sand spoilers

Hmmm...Do Red and Gold hold any particular signifiance on Taldain ? And by the by how did you get to hve whitesand ? Because I would love to read it.

You can write an email to Team Sanderson here: http://brandonsanderson.com/contact/ and ask them :D It took a month for them to reply so be patient.

It's not canon, by the way. The graphic novel adaptions that will eventually come out are canon though.

White Sand spoilers aren't supposed to be discussed on the open forum. I've added you to the PM group, acatnamedkaren.

As to the Shardpool:

I for one am having suspicions that it's not a Shardpool, and that the newspaper is making it up. The main thing in favor of the story is that the pool was found up high on a mountain (Shardpools like mountains). However, it's blue - Harmony is a mix of white and black, why is it blue? Is blue a very "harmonious" color?

Broadsheets don't strike me as particularly reliable.

I'll agree it's more likely than not a Shardpool simply because it seems like the sort of thing Brandon would throw in, though.

The Well of Ascension was blue, as I recall. I see no reason to assume that this new shardpool isn't Harmony's. I seem to recall a WoB that said the Well isn't around anymore.

It was white, actually:

Vin and Elend walked up to the pool. Elend knelt quietly beside it, but Vin just stood. Staring at the glittering waters. They were gathered in a small depression in the rock, and they looked thick—like metal. A silvery white, glowing liquid metal. The Well was only a few feet across, but its power loomed in her mind.

Alendi remarks on finding a black metallic lake around the Well on his time around - so Ruin's Shardpool was black, presumably. We know the two Shards polarized, choosing those colors... so what's with Sazed's pool being blue? Maybe he chose a new color, but I'm hesitant to trust in this "Shardpool" for the moment. It wasn't even described as metallic...

“I was lost in the mountains south of the Southern Roughs,” said Sauvage. “And my fellow travellers had either left me or died. That’s when I came upon a mountain pool of the most perfect blue, fed by the melting snows of the heights. Harmony, but I thought I’d reached Paradise.”

White Sand spoilers aren't supposed to be discussed on the open forum. I've added you to the PM group, acatnamedkaren.

As to the Shardpool:

I for one am having suspicions that it's not a Shardpool, and that the newspaper is making it up. The main thing in favor of the story is that the pool was found up high on a mountain (Shardpools like mountains). However, it's blue - Harmony is a mix of white and black, why is it blue? Is blue a very "harmonious" color?

Broadsheets don't strike me as particularly reliable.

I'll agree it's more likely than not a Shardpool simply because it seems like the sort of thing Brandon would throw in, though.

Is that PM group for people who have read White Sands? If so could someone please invite me? I read it quite some time ago.

What if the pool isn't a Shardpool? I already mentioned this in another thread, but it could be something different.

Stormlight spoilers:

We know that the Horneaters think they have multiple pools like these in their mountains, which would seem to indicate they wouldn't be the Shardpools.

Oddly enough, why would the different Shardpools of Ruin and Preservation be next to each other?

Also, can I please get in on the White Sand group? And if there's an Aether of Night one, I'd like to be in it as well.

Edited by Chaos
Adding spoiler tags

What if the pool isn't a Shardpool?

WoR spoilers:

We have WoB confirmation that the emerald pool in Rock's story is a Shardpool.

ProfessionalLurker

Are the Elantrian pool and Horneater lake connected?

Brandon Sanderson (Paraphrased)

They are the same thing.

(source)

The White Sand group serves as an Aether group as well. I'll add you.

Edited by Moogle

I have a theory if you do not mind.

What if a Shard has full use of their power, or they are splintered?

Would not their shard pools revert to simple pools?

I think the power of the pool becomes far less concentrated and only allows the ability of interplanetary transportation.

If this power is less concentrated then it could dilute with regular water sources and create natural water bodies such as the Horneater Peaks or the supposed Harmony pool.

Having said that, Harmony might not be in complete control of who comes through the shardpool especially if they are protected by another shard. I believe that the visitor is a Parshendi, and used Odium magic to hide and travel. Then using what would essentially be Odiums physical body on Scadrial (Bleeder's Spike) to hide from Harmony, the Parshendi could leave it for Bleeder. After Bleeder has the spike, Odium is quite literally inside her and therefore not completely bound in the Roshar System.

I think what it means to be bound is that your shard essence, like Vin had, becomes trapped, but your physical body can still be moved. The nature of Hemuralgic spikes is that they create a hole in the will power of someone, so Odium would have much more freedom using this magic system to cheat the Roshar locked rules so to speak.

I think it's odium and not Bavaldin because 1.) white sand is still technically unpublished 2.) odium seems like the shard to have all his fingers in many pies. 3.) the Parshendi visitor 4.) Odium is a big bad shard in the world of the Cosmere right now (Ruin subdued) and introducing a new enemy shard would take away the threat and influence of Odium in the Stormlight Archive.

PS can I get in on the white sand forum?

Edited by Sirscott13

• Chaos locked this topic