Reviving a dead topic: Szeth's Shardblade is an Honourblade

Aether

I suggest that it is 1. Honourblades, 2. Dead Radiantblades and 3. Radiantblades. The first we saw in Szeth's PoV chapters, the second all over the place, and the third in two of Dalinar's visions ("Starfalls" and "Highway to the Sun").

I disagree with the idea that dead Radiantblades are different from live ones. They function mostly the same (ten heartbeats /inability to change shape being the only differences, and those are because the spren is 'broken'). It's like saying a worn-down gun with a loose trigger and broken safety is a different type of gun than the same model of gun in perfect repair.

That said, Brandon may have a different classification for 'different type of blade'. It's very imprecise and up in the air what he would consider different.

I'd suggest Wit's blade as the third type. We know Nightblood is a Shardblade by WoB, and I've always loved the idea that Wit has an Awakened sword.

Edited by Moogle

I disagree with the idea that dead Radiantblades are different from live ones. They function mostly the same (ten heartbeats /inability to change shape being the only differences, and those are because the spren is 'broken'). It's like saying a worn-down gun with a loose trigger and broken safety is a different type of gun than the same model of gun in perfect repair.

That said, Brandon may have a different classification for 'different type of blade'. It's very imprecise and up in the air what he would consider different.

I'd suggest Wit's blade as the third type. We know Nightblood is a Shardblade by WoB, and I've always loved the idea that Wit has an Awakened sword.

I suppose you're referring to this one?

Q: If Nightblood were on Roshar would he be a Shardblade?

A: Yes, they are exactly the same thing. He is a Shardblade that is twisted and is a lot more powerful than normal.

<source>

I remembered it as referring to Nightblood as similar to a Shardblade, but you're right, this opens up for Hoid's blade being the third type, if it is indeed an Awakened blade in the first place.

Brandon says we've seen three different types of Shardblades. Shardblade is too all-inclusive, so I'll break that down by shard.

I would qualify that as:

1. Honorblades (from Honor's shard? Remembering that the heralds actually came from off-Roshar, where did the blades come from?)

2. Radiants' blades (dead and alive)… for lack of a better term Sprenblades (some from Honor, maybe some from Cultivation's shard?)

3. Blades from Endowment's shard (Nightblood, Wit's sword (?) <-- I don't really buy into that one, but I'd love to be proven wrong!)

Brandon says we've seen three different types of Shardblades. Shardblade is too all-inclusive, so I'll break that down by shard.

I would qualify that as:

1. Honorblades (from Honor's shard? Remembering that the heralds actually came from off-Roshar, where did the blades come from?)

2. Radiants' blades (dead and alive)… for lack of a better term Sprenblades (some from Honor, maybe some from Cultivation's shard?)

3. Blades from Endowment's shard (Nightblood, Wit's sword (?) <-- I don't really buy into that one, but I'd love to be proven wrong!)

As far a number 3 is concerned, it not being true would involve Wit having visited a world where a dangerous new type of magical weapon (but probably not an actually evil type of weapon) was invented, and him having not gotten one.  It really does seem in character for him to have gotten one if it was feasible, and for Wit, feasible is a pretty broad definition.  Even if he can't kill people, he can probably find a use for it.

Edited by happyman

• Chaos locked this topic