Easy Question...

The Count

Well, the shardblade lies normally on the stone and can be carried:

Behind the two, a group of lighteyed officers entered, one of them carrying the Shardblade, holding it on a pure white cloth.

So presumably, the same thing that would happen if you were to use normal blade. Though it is possible that the unclaimed blade works differently, I suppose.

My impression of that scene was, as you say, that I was an unclaimed blade, so could be carried normally.

Thinking about this question, I was reminded of something Brandon saying about intent being important in most of his magic systems...

So maybe if you indend to knock someone back with a flat strike (or knock them out with a pomel strike) then your intent will mean that you will get a physical blow from the weapon...

Having said that though, we know that if your intent was to amputate a limb, this would not happen (the limb just goes dead).

Another question to add to the list if I ever manage to get to a signing.

Edited by MadRand

I would assume that this would result in an impact. The pommel and hilt of the weapon must be firmly in the physical, in order to be held. I would assume that the blade is also in the physical, though it's atoms may be wrapped in the spiritual. It does cut through stone, and stone is physical. It will also cut through flesh, just not living flesh. I would surmise that the edge of the blade becomes incorporeal when it comes in contact with a living soul. If any other part of the blade comes in contact with you, it is no different than getting hit with a similar non-magical weapon.

I'm going to side with MadRand here and say it's likely all about intent. We know that intent can do some pretty subtle things (See: Mark's Cross in Rithmatist [that specific part of the magic system being Realmatic]).

Edited by Kurkistan

I think only the edge actually cuts. I doubt it's controlled by Intent, since dropped blades slice through the ground before vanishing and it is unlikely the user intended to cut the ground. Also, the blade can get stuck if it doesn't keep moving, so clearly it doesn't cut perpendicular to the blade.

Edited by name_here

• Chaos locked this topic