To be fair, Diaemus is a species of bat.

Genus, actually. Though you are to be forgiven as there's only one species in it. :P

(My brother at this point knows to question every fantasy name I suggest to him with the query "What latin name did you rip this off from?")

Cenni Lodgehouses

The Cenni Highlands are sparsely populated, not because the land can't support large groups of sentient creatures, but because its various tribes are so competitive that society is in a near-constant state of flux. Far outside the reach of the sedentary villages of the river valleys, and the clan manors that cluster near them, are the Lodgehouses. Fiercely independent and proud, they've had a massive influence on the region's culture and politics.

Unlike the flatter, more civilized lands to the East, the Highlands can still support a hunter-gathering lifestyle. There are tribes, roving families of humans and dromeans that live off the land, but the underclass of shamed expats and banished citizens of the warring villages and clans typically didn't organize themselves that way. During the early history of the Highlands, they and their descendants lived solitary lives, forming small families but otherwise remaining mostly independent until enough time had passed that they could rejoin society. Early in the 1700's BCE, however, there was a period of particularly intense tribal warfare, and this created far more expats than usual. The primitive leagues of dishonored peoples who met periodically for worship became larger, and grew to a size where they actually had an influence on local politics. Within a few hundred years, these leagues occupied a unique niche in the Cenni culture. The leagues, or Lodgehouses, were no longer just groups of refugees, but stable organizations that raided and worshiped just like ordinary political units despite the fact that their members lived solitary lives.

Lodgehouses typically consist of 20-50 human or dromean members. Healthy members don't actually live in the lodges, they just meet there periodically for "moots." Most lodges have monthly religious festivals that members may or may not attend, as well as an annual or biannual festival that serve as a more formal time to meet and discuss. Each house has a patron god or goddess to which it dedicates itself, and when members make a group decision, it's usually made, supposedly, in the interest of that being. Lodgehouses are cults, in that sense. Militarily, they have two major concerns: the first is chasing out roving tribes and apex predators that have moved into the cult's hunting grounds, and the second is raiding. Like most Cenni societies, the members of the Lodghouse Cults rate a person's worth through combat prowess and the amount of loot they've taken, so raiding is considered to be extremely important. Cults tend to be made up mostly of men and women of fighting age, and so a coordinated Cult raid is a serious threat to villages and clanhouses. When the Lodgehouses themselves are attacked, the Cult members just disintegrate into their own dwellings for a month or two, then meet again to discuss revenge.

The social culture of a Lodgehouse is designed to keep the Cult solvent. Members trickle in and out periodically from the valleys and other Lodgehouses, and this is where Lodgehouses get most of their population. When human members become pregnant, they typically stay at the Lodgehouse after a few months and live off of donations from other members. The bonds of parent to child, and sibling to sibling, are respected, but Cultists refuse to recognize half-siblings and cousins as family, and it's an unspoken rule that humans shouldn't have more than one child from the same lover, and that dromeans shouldn't keep more than one egg from each clutch. This is deliberately done to discourage the development of family ties, which the Lodgehouses associate with clans, tribes and the disruption of ordinary social bonds. Cults are made up of individuals, not families, and even though it's acceptable to take another person under your wing as a child or apprentice, valuing that person above another will slowly rip apart the fabric of the cult.

Children, pregnant and nesting human and dromean females, and the sick and elderly usually do spend most of their time at the Lodgehouse, or more specifically, in dwellings nearby. They spend their time weaving, sharpening and maintaining weapons of war, and meeting with traders, useful services that help to validate their worth to the members who donate food to keep them alive.

Edited by Mckeedee123

• 4 weeks later...

Can i still join and make a race? Ill probably need to go back through all 35 pages to get info on the rules of the project.

Question: has anyone made an oceanic / water breathing race yet? Because i think id take a crack at that if its all right

Can i still join and make a race? Ill probably need to go back through all 35 pages to get info on the rules of the project.

Question: has anyone made an oceanic / water breathing race yet? Because i think id take a crack at that if its all right

Of course you can join.

And yes one or multiple (not sure) people have begun making water-breathing races, but you can make your own.

• 3 weeks later...

Human Civilization on Bolvun

The humans of bolvun live mostly in tunnels that are walled off, with parts of the city going above ground (Mostly farmers). They are led by a Pyromancer, the only type of actual magic user on the island. Each city has one, and they are supposedly all descended from Jorloji the Flame. He has ascended to godhood. Each Pyromancer goes through a ritual to become leader, and it requires him to go into Hreinsun Stoethin, The Cleansing Pillar. This ritual makes sure the Pyromancers power does not decrease through the generations. Each city also has many Pyrotechnicians, who usually work for the king, that provide explosives for defence against Gauldur. Black Powder is the most commonly used explosive. Nitroglycerine is made, but usually turned into Nitrocellulose or Dynamite to be used. Napalm can be made as well, but is used sparingly because of the rareness of petroleum and/or oil from Gauldur. There are 6 cities around the island. Heimili Eldi is the hottest city on the island. It‘s underground tempurature is around a constant 90 degrees, while most cities stay at 50 degrees farenheit. The cities all stay very close to the surface, and down below the tempurature is several hundred degrees below zero. It is also the starting point for the ritual that increases a Pyromancer‘s power. It mostly produces metals and building materials, along with sulfur and saltpeter. Lyftu til Jarethar is the most important city because of it‘s size. An effect of this is that about 1/3 of the year, it is sunk into the ocean 15 kilometers below. The surface stays only feet above the water. They export all items from the sea, as well as other items in the rare case of trading. Haikkun Gueth is where Jorloji the Flame lived most of his life and ascended to godhood. Because of the failing machines that allowed humans to breathe on the island, he enchanted 6 emeralds to do their job. He also engineered a way for Lyftu til Jarethar to rise & fall during his ascention. It‘s main exports are meat from both wild and domesticated animals.

Fyrsta Uppjar is the first settlement that Jorloji created. It is also the largest, containing about 50,000 people, twice that ofHaikkun Gueth. It supports most of the island on the crops it produces.

Strieth Enda is where both pyrotechnicians and warriors are trained. It produces nothing but elite fighters trained to hunt and kill Gauldur. These warriors also act as police in the city.

The Ancient city is a large ruin the ancient people left behind when most were killed by the Gaulder under the new leadership of the Mikill Einn. If not for the discoveries that came from there, many explosives would not be able to be produced.

Rough Map of Bolvun:

post-15627-0-70892600-1460678758_thumb.p

Edited by Chasmfiend

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello people. Can I join? I have some ideas about a race I've thought about, and I'd love to share it with you. But before I can finish the whole thing, I need the answers to some questions. I apologize if the answers to these questions were stated, but I didn't read the whole thing.

Do some lumuoles have more power than others? I understand that there are great lumuoles and regular lumuoles, but is it just those two, or are lumuoles more varied in power?

Are yellow lumuoles associated with weather and storms, or just lightning?

I'm not really sure what white lumuoles do. Could someone please clarify for me?

Edit: Forgot a question. If there's a species that allows red lumuoles into a cavity in it's body to help it stay warm, what's preventing blue or green lumuoles from entering the cavity?

Thanks.

Edited by cloudjumper

Hello! Here's my race. If it's too magically powerful or has some issue with Diaeman physics, please let me know.

I did not intend for this race to look like Eevee. Really. It just turned out that way.

Drin

Appearance

Most Drin are four and a half feet high and have a hunched-over appearance, like squirrels. They have powerful legs that can leap up to five feet into the air. They have opposable thumbs. Drin are covered by brown-grey feathers, but cannot fly. The Drin's tail is shaped like a raven's tail feathers. This is where the lumuoles in the Drin are.

Magic

The Drin's tail can be inhabited by different kinds of lumuoles. Most Drin only have one lumuole colony, but the oldest sometimes have two. The Drin can perform magic, but only certain limited things with it.Based off of the kind of lumoules an Drin has, the Drin's body develops in different ways to accommodate the abilities received as a result of the lumuoles. A chart is below. It should be noted that, like with all things, depending on the skill of the user and the extent of the lumuole colony, the power of any ability will vary.

I remember that there's a Pokemon that does this...

Red

The Drin can make it's tail heat up to very high temperatures and sometimes create smoke or sparks.

As a result of this, the Drin's tail becomes fireproof.

Blue

The Drin will be able to store large amounts of water in it's body. The tail will be more effective at causing currents in water than it should, and so the Drin will be able to swim faster.

Yellow

The Drin can magnetize it's tail and sense metal. Some can also shock people.

Green

The Drin can leap much higher than other Drin, the lumuoles generating an accelerated wind current. The tail naturally grows wider and longer when green lumuoles enter the body.

Orange

The Drin can feel the earth vibrating and where it's coming from. This helps the Drin track living things and sometimes find lumuole colonies. The Drin's feathers will also be harder on the tail.

Purple

The Drin can make itself go "dim", which means that it will be much harder to see at a casual glance.

Government

There are many roaming trading caravans of Drin around Diaemus. Every few years, the Drin as a whole send a party of Drin to colonize remote pockets of the world and live there. Eventually these pockets turn into cities, and the cities expand until there is no more room in their space, usually caverns, crevices, or chasms of some sort. These colonies are ruled by oligarchies elected by the people. These oligarchies, in turn, form a larger council that meets once a year to discuss matters such as colonies, trade routes, and other important matters of business. Individual caravans of Drin are also included in the council.

And what do great lumuoles exactly do?

Edited by cloudjumper

Hello people. Can I join? I have some ideas about a race I've thought about, and I'd love to share it with you. But before I can finish the whole thing, I need the answers to some questions. I apologize if the answers to these questions were stated, but I didn't read the whole thing.

Do some lumuoles have more power than others? I understand that there are great lumuoles and regular lumuoles, but is it just those two, or are lumuoles more varied in power?

Are yellow lumuoles associated with weather and storms, or just lightning?

I'm not really sure what white lumuoles do. Could someone please clarify for me?

Edit: Forgot a question. If there's a species that allows red lumuoles into a cavity in it's body to help it stay warm, what's preventing blue or green lumuoles from entering the cavity?

Thanks.

And what do great lumuoles exactly do?

How much of this thread have you read though? Did you read a summary, or skim through it, or... I just need to know what your baseline is before I launch into a long-winded explanation of all of this (as I'm prone to do.) ;)