The Fallen Heralds

Argent

Wouldn't Shalash and Jezrien have similar complexions though?

The woman suspected to be Shalash didn't really get a descriptor for skin tone like "Taln" did.

Well, assuming Shallash is Baxil's mistress.

Their mistress walked ahead of them, the only other person in the hallway. She wasn’t Emuli–she didn’t even seem Makabaki, though she had dark skin and long, beautiful black hair. She had eyes like a Shin, but she was tall and lean, like an Alethi. Av thought she was a mixed breed. Or so he said when they dared talk about such things. The mistress had good ears. Strangely good ears.

Shalash's skin tone says:

Their mistress walked ahead of them, the only other person in the hallway. She wasn't Emuli-she didn't even seem Makabaki, though she had dark skin and long, beautiful black hair.

Pg 707 WoK Baxil Interlude

Jezrien/"Taln"

A single small window-more of a slit-proved insufficient to fully illuminate the large figure sitting on the bed. Dark-skinned, like a man from the Makabaki kingdoms, he had dark, ragged hair and hulking arms.

Pg 762 WoR A Burning World

I think there is a chance they could be related.

EDIT: Typos

Edited by CJ lidmk

It could be possible, but we don't have physical descriptions for all the Heralds so I can't sure of exactly where each Herald possibly originates in Roshar or if their native ethnicities in ancient Roshar would even relate to that of Roshar of the current day 

Edited by ParadoxSpren

Hoid calls Taln "lost one". I believe, this fits better with Talenel than with Jezrien.

Again, if anyone other than Taln crashes into Kholinar saying they are Talenel'elin, the Stonesinew, and screams the time of the Desolation is nigh, they are quite storming lost.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting WoB I found

http://www.theoryland.com/intvsresults.php?kwt='radiants'

Number 3

Interview: Feb 28th, 2011

gunslingers ()

The number 10 seems to be a recurring theme in this world. Are the Ten Fools the antithesis of the ten orders of the Knights Radiant?

Have you ever killed off a character and later regretted it?

When writing a battle scene in which thousands die do those deaths affect you in any way?

Brandon Sanderson

First Question: Yes, ten is a number of mythological import in the world. The Ten Fools are, essentially, the opposites of the Ten Heralds—who each represented an ideal. (Those ideals were later adopted by the orders of Knights Radiant, so yes, there is a connection—but there's a step between them.)

As i said over in the Recreance topic, note that Brandon said the Heralds embody an ideal, not ideals. My idea is that the primary and secondary attributes for each Herald make up this Ideal, and if we could get Brandon to say what ideal each Herald represents, we could work out what the opposites are then look for characters displaying it. 

(Yeah i could be seeing darkfriends in shadows but it does make sense...sorta)

Edited by ParadoxSpren

• 1 year later...

It's possible, I guess. It's been a long time since I rethought this theory, and there have been some recent news that support and/or expand the idea. I am (slowly) listening to the Words of Radiance Graphic Audio adaptation, so I'll keep an eye (ear?) out for anything that makes Taravangian's ardent suspicious.

On 18/10/2013 at 8:06 AM, Argent said:

Ishar

He is supposed to be pious and guiding. His body focus is flesh.

We have a reference to Ishar in Edgedancer: 

Spoiler

"But..." said the male initiate. "Is it really ... I mean, shouldn't we want them to return, so we won't be the only order of Knights Radiant?" 
"Unfortunately, no," Darkness said. "I once thought as you, but Ishar made the truth clear to me. If the bonds between men and spren are reignited, then men will naturally discover the greater power of the oaths. Without Honor to regulate this, there is a small chance that what comes next will allow the Voidbringers to again make the jump between worlds. That would cause a Desolation... Absolute fidelity to the mission Ishar gave us - the greater law of protecting Roshar - is required."

"I saw them return," the assassin whispered. "the new storm, the red eyes. You are wrong, Nin-son-God. You are wrong." 
"A fluke," Darkness said, his voice firm. "I contacted Ishar, and he assured me it is so."
"You're wrong. So wrong..."
"The Voidbringers have not returned," Darkness said firmly. "Ishar has promised it, and he will not lie."

He is guiding, but in a wrong (or impious) way.

What would you make or it?

On 1/27/2017 at 8:15 PM, Awesomness said:

We have a reference to Ishar in Edgedancer: 

Reveal hidden contents

"But..." said the male initiate. "Is it really ... I mean, shouldn't we want them to return, so we won't be the only order of Knights Radiant?" 
"Unfortunately, no," Darkness said. "I once thought as you, but Ishar made the truth clear to me. If the bonds between men and spren are reignited, then men will naturally discover the greater power of the oaths. Without Honor to regulate this, there is a small chance that what comes next will allow the Voidbringers to again make the jump between worlds. That would cause a Desolation... Absolute fidelity to the mission Ishar gave us - the greater law of protecting Roshar - is required."

"I saw them return," the assassin whispered. "the new storm, the red eyes. You are wrong, Nin-son-God. You are wrong." 
"A fluke," Darkness said, his voice firm. "I contacted Ishar, and he assured me it is so."
"You're wrong. So wrong..."
"The Voidbringers have not returned," Darkness said firmly. "Ishar has promised it, and he will not lie."

He is guiding, but in a wrong (or impious) way.

What would you make or it?

It fits well enough, I suppose.

• Chaos locked this topic