Question on "Lashings"

Landis963

In the Ars Arcanum for Words of Radiance, it calls the Surge of Adhesion a "Full Lashing" and the Surge of Gravitation a "Basic" or "Reverse" lashing.  However, I'm wondering if a "Full Lashing," in addition to sticking things together, also makes the stuck things believe that down is the direction that sticks them to the other thing.  Basically, I'm wondering if both Surges aren't being used simultaneously when the Radiant in question is performing a "Full" Lashing.  Is there evidence to support this?  

If a Full Lashing were just another manifestation of the Surge of Gravitation, then the Invested object would have to manifest behavior as if it were being pulled toward the object it is bonded to. In the Ars Arcanum of WoR (and WoK, I believe) the Full Lashing is described as "an extremely powerful bond, nearly impossible to break." If the Investing of an object with a full lashing merely made the object think the thing its being stuck to is down, I believe that it would be a lot easier to break the bond between them and, if it were broken, the object would continue to be drawn toward the object it was bonded to. Furthermore, if a Full Lashing were a mix of Gravitation and Adhesion Surges, then I don't think that Windrunners would have much need for Adhesion at all. Also, there has been evidence throughout both books that applying more Investiture to the Surge of Gravitation compounds the effect (e.g., applying more than one basic lashing in the same direction to an object makes in fall that way faster). Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't recall any point in the books where a Full Lashing could be made stronger by applying more Stormlight. This further substantiates the fact that Adhesion and Gravitation are different Surges, and as a result the abilities associated with one Surge would not be affected by the other, in the same way that Lightweavers can't really combine the Surges of Illumination and Transformation. I hope this helps! :D :D :D

If a Full Lashing were just another manifestation of the Surge of Gravitation, then the Invested object would have to manifest behavior as if it were being pulled toward the object it is bonded to. In the Ars Arcanum of WoR (and WoK, I believe) the Full Lashing is described as "an extremely powerful bond, nearly impossible to break." If the Investing of an object with a full lashing merely made the object think the thing its being stuck to is down, I believe that it would be a lot easier to break the bond between them and, if it were broken, the object would continue to be drawn toward the object it was bonded to. Furthermore, if a Full Lashing were a mix of Gravitation and Adhesion Surges, then I don't think that Windrunners would have much need for Adhesion at all. Also, there has been evidence throughout both books that applying more Investiture to the Surge of Gravitation compounds the effect (e.g., applying more than one basic lashing in the same direction to an object makes in fall that way faster). Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't recall any point in the books where a Full Lashing could be made stronger by applying more Stormlight. This further substantiates the fact that Adhesion and Gravitation are different Surges, and as a result the abilities associated with one Surge would not be affected by the other, in the same way that Lightweavers can't really combine the Surges of Illumination and Transformation. I hope this helps! :D :D :D

Then why call it a "Full" Lashing in the first place?  Why not call it a "Binding" or something like that?  

Do "Full" Lashings cost more Stormlight to start and maintain than "Basic" Lashings?  Because that would be the greatest evidence towards my theory.  

I do believe they do use more, but not sure. Reverse being the cheapest.

It's really just a name the first windrunners probably came up with for convenience. It doesn't have to be accurate. Can't say much for Szeth, but I don't think Kaladin really understands enough physics to determine how his surges truly function. And people from the Heraldic Epochs evidently were just primitive people who can't even forge steel and had to be taught to cast bronze. "Gravity" and "air pressure" probably don't factor into this naming scheme.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was a Windrunner word. They weren't concerned with naming conventions across the Radiants, apparently, or greater Surgebinding. As far as they're concerned, they personally have three distinct powers. They've chosen to call the entire powerset Lashings. One is Basic, one is Full, and one is Reverse. The mechanics of how their powers work from a physics standpoint, or how they stack up against the abilities of the Orders to either side, weren't considerations to the Windrunners.

In "Wandersail" in part four of The Way of Kings, Syl calls the spren attracted to the rock Kaladin sticks to the wall bindspren.  I would assume for basic lashings and reverse lashings would have gravitationspren attracted to them, but I am unsure if this is referenced in the book.  I think that the spren that are connected to the surges (not sure if the correct term or not) like Syl or Pattern have their names for the spren, which is where the knights radiant got them.

• Chaos locked this topic