Get Brandon to Chicago!

Argent

I know I (briefly) met up with a few Sharders during Brandon's Steelheart tour in Chicago, and during one of the events he suggested that it might be possible to get him to come more often if we went and talked to our local con(vention) organizers and fanatically torture reasonably convince them to invite him. And I don't know about you, folks, but my life could use a little more Brandon in it. Or a lot more Brandon in it. You know, up to the point where the law enforcement has to intervene...

So. Ahem. A quick Google search careful and in-depth research led me to those two relevant Cons:

• CapriCon (Feb 6 - 9, 2014 in Westin Chicago North Shore, Wheeling, IL)
    What looks like a veteran in the con world, CapriCon will celebrate its 34th birthday in 2014. 
  • Chi-Fi (Mar 27 - 30, 2014 in Westin Chicago River North, Chicago Downtown, IL)
    Unlike CapriCon, Chi-Fi is the new kid in town. In fact, I think it will run for the first time in 2014. Jim Butcher has already agreed to be a guest of honor, so it looks like the organizers might be able to afford Brandon as well - Jim is not exactly a new and unknown author, after all.

Is anyone familiar with the extortion process behind getting con organizers to invite an author? Both of them do science fiction & fantasy, and both of them have authors coming. With at least four months to spare, we should be able to figure something out, right?

You do realize that the more cons he attends the less time Brandon has to actually write the books? He did memtion in a writing excuses episode  how surprised he was how little time he had for writing after he became an author. I understand the sentiment of wanting to see more Brandon, but with all the books he has in the works...

we'll probably get more cosmere questioned answered with the publication of cosmere novels than with Q&A's where he does his best to be evasive with that teasing smile on his face ;)

Don't slap my greed aside!

But really, I think Brandon knows how to manage his time better than we do. In the beginning he might overextend himself, but he'll quickly figure out how much promotional work he can do. And, from my clearly objective point of view, better Chicago than some other city :-P

He did a lot of cons this summer.  I got the impression from talking to him that future con schedules will be much more conservative.  That being said, there is no reason why Chicago can't be one of the X number of cons he chooses to do next year.

Aww, way to poop on my party, Peter!

But it's fine, good to know not to waste the organizers' time for 2014. Any idea when it would be too late - and too early - to talk to them? As in, how long have you guys known Brandon was full for next year, and then is his earliest appearance?

Guts honestly, he has done so many cons and signing tours this year its ridiculous. If you follow Brandon on Twitter you'll know what im talking about. I think the amount of promotional things he has done this year is one of the reasons WoR has been delayed and I'm quite happy for him to tone it down a bit

Guts honestly, he has done so many cons and signing tours this year its ridiculous. If you follow Brandon on Twitter you'll know what im talking about. I think the amount of promotional things he has done this year is one of the reasons WoR has been delayed and I'm quite happy for him to tone it down a bit

I don't think so. It was probably the WoT that screwed up the schedule. That's two ~900-page books after WoK in a period of two and a half year or so.