Knowing weaknesses

Arcanist Lupus

I think that Epics instinctively know what their weaknesses are.  I say this because some of the weaknesses mentioned are pretty hard to figure out.

Steelheart (to our knowledge) has only been hurt by one person, yet he seemed to know what his weakness was.

David mentions an Epic who could only be killed by five attackers at once.  I have absolutely no idea how you would figure that one out.  Unless the Epic already new, and let it slip to someone else...

What do you think?

I can try to find the quote, but I'm pretty sure at some point someone expressly says that Epics don't automatically know their own weakness. I think it's when David tells his story, and he mentions the part about Steelheart looking to the vault when he's injured. Someone says something about, 'Epics don't always know their own weakness, so he might have been guessing.'

I was reading that section just a minute ago, its in chapter 25 (ive got e-book so i do not know the real page.

"I don't think he knew how he got hurt," I said. "A lot of Epics don't know their weaknesses at first.

This also suggests to me that an Epic actually is able to know their weakness, but that it takes time for them before they realize.

I don't think that epics instinctively know what their weaknesses are, but I think they subconsciously choose their weaknesses when they become epics. Some of them will recognize their weakness when they see it, some won't. Some may just know, others may come to realize it over time, and for some it may come as a complete surprise. It would depend on the epic and how in touch they are with their own subconscious mind.

I think they subconsciously choose their weaknesses when they become epics.

So you think that one dude had a subconscious desire to be weak to 37-year-olds?

EDIT for revelation: Actually, maybe his own father died of a heart attack at the age of 37, so before he became immortal he was deathly afraid of having the same thing happen to him. Does that pass the smell test?

Edited by Darnam

Yup, that's what I think. I can't see any real pattern behind the powers epics have outside of them being what they really wanted, either consciously or unconsciously. So I feel that it makes sense that their weaknesses follow the same process.

If these powers are basically their hearts desires or facsimile of those desires being granted, then I feel it would be even harder to resist using them.

Interesting. The "Epics' weaknesses are related to things they disliked / feared / hated before they became Epics" theory is one I am willing to buy into for now. Maybe we can go through the book and catalog all of the Epics with known weaknesses and see if it's possible - and plausible - for them to pass the test. 

• Chaos locked this topic