A Few Questions

Blaze1616

As far as I can tell, I will be the only Sharder to attend the signing taking place in Lansing, MI. As such, I'd like to record the session for the benefit of WoB hunters everywhere. The thing is, I don't know how...

First, what device to use? I know many of you use your phones. The issue is, my phone is a Nexus 4, and as such does not have any external memory, leaving me with a measly 8 GB, of which less than 1 is currently available. So if I am to use my phone, how much space do these recordings often take? I am more than willing to delete crap from my phone to make the space, but if the files get too large it might just be better for me to buy a recording device.

Second, how do I approach Brandon/Peter? Do I email them via the contact form on Brandon's site? Do I PM Peter? Tweet them? Simply approach them at the signing (my nerves might get the better of me here)? I know in the past Sharders have been allowed to actually sit next to Brandon. I imagine this won't happen, which I am perfectly okay with, but knowing what to do would be greatly beneficial.

Thanks for any help!

1 GB should probably be fine: sound files are very small, as a rule. If you want to double-check how it'll work out on your phone in particular, I'd advise that you just leave it recording (in airplane mode to save battery) for a few hours and see how it works out.

Argent has been the first "on-site" the only time I've seen such "sitting near Brandon" activity, so he's better to ask, but I'd advise just showing up early, introducing yourself to Brandon, and then asking if he minds if you put your phone on the table to record the signing. Also be ready to pause the recording (or retroactively edit it after the fact) if Brandon asks you not to release some answer or other to the public.

Be sure that your phone is on airplane mode if you end up using it to record, both to save battery and to make sure it doesn't go off in the middle of someone's signing experience.

1 GB should probably be fine: sound files are very small, as a rule. If you want to double-check how it'll work out on your phone in particular, I'd advise that you just leave it recording (in airplane mode to save battery) for a few hours and see how it works out.

Argent has been the first "on-site" the only time I've seen such "sitting near Brandon" activity, so he's better to ask, but I'd advise just showing up early, introducing yourself to Brandon, and then asking if he minds if you put your phone on the table to record the signing. Also be ready to pause the recording (or retroactively edit it after the fact) if Brandon asks you not to release some answer or other to the public.

Be sure that your phone is on airplane mode if you end up using it to record, both to save battery and to make sure it doesn't go off in the middle of someone's signing experience.

Thanks. Like I said, sitting next to the man himself really doesn't matter, I just really want to record the event for everyone. And Airplane mode is something I didn't think about. My phone is almost always on silent anyways, but that's a really smart idea.

Anyone have a recommended Android app for recording audio? I don't think my phone comes with one automatically.

Thanks. Like I said, sitting next to the man himself really doesn't matter, I just really want to record the event for everyone. And Airplane mode is something I didn't think about. My phone is almost always on silent anyways, but that's a really smart idea.

Anyone have a recommended Android app for recording audio? I don't think my phone comes with one automatically.

To be clear "silent" here usually translates to "vibrates in a horribly annoying fashion against hard surfaces like tables", so yeah that might have gone poorly. :P

I've recorded twice. Here are my thoughts on it.

1. Phone's usually good. I've found an external battery to be helpful under a multitude of circumstances, but if you don't want to get it it shouldn't be a problem. Try to do various battery-saving stuff that day (airplane mode, turn location off, etc) and it should last for the session pretty well. I've been lucky enough to go with people when I've gone, and I've just let them take the lead in anything requiring a phone.

2. Check your phone to see if you have a recording app. Mine came with one, I never had to download it. It's called Voice Record or something; open your apps manager and just search for the word 'record'. Otherwise any basic one will do, like Easy Voice mentioned above.

3. I've typically talked to the staff first. "Hi, my name is ___. I'm from his fansite. (Bit of credibility there.) At most signings, Mr. Sanderson is okay if we record the audio of his signing line. Would you mind if I leave my phone near him to record?"

4. If you phrase it like this, I've always been directed to the man himself; basically you're giving them the option of "don't personally deal with me" and people love taking that option.

5. Mr. Sanderson is way more experienced than any of us at this kind of thing. You can basically say, "Hi, I'm the Sharder recording you this time. Do you mind if I leave my phone here to record the signing line?" The two times I've asked, his reply was basically, sure.

6. Phone placement. Put it off to the side. You don't want it getting in the way, you don't want someone putting their book on it by mistake. It will pick up audio WAY better than you might think. Keep it away from microphones or speakers. Don't put it on power cables. Try to aim it so that the part you talk into is pointing towards The Man. If you have the time/inclination, test it out a few times and see what quality audio you end up getting.

Don't stress, don't worry, and at any point if anyone gives you a flat "no," accept it and move on. We're lucky that we have the audio of so many lines, and I feel it's important we not take this for granted. If someday it doesn't work, for whatever reason, then it doesn't work. Enjoy yourself, have a good time at the signing, have your own question written down beforehand so we all know exactly what you asked, and try to write down his exact response as quickly after you step out of the line as you can.

Just my thoughts.

Don't stress, don't worry, and at any point if anyone gives you a flat "no," accept it and move on. We're lucky that we have the audio of so many lines, and I feel it's important we not take this for granted. If someday it doesn't work, for whatever reason, then it doesn't work. Enjoy yourself, have a good time at the signing, have your own question written down beforehand so we all know exactly what you asked, and try to write down his exact response as quickly after you step out of the line as you can.

I completely agree. I'd still like to try, obviously, for myself and other Sharders who can't attend. Thanks for the comments.

The last recording I did on my phone was a 42 minute interview that I conducted using an app called Recordium. I really like this app and use it frequently for my job. This meeting took up 109 MB of space on my phone, so I'd imagine that 1 GB of space should be enough for your recording. Granted, it may be a good idea anyway to clean out your phone to get rid of apps/pictures/videos/etc. you no longer need. Upload all of those things to the cloud or your computer and you won't even have to permanently get rid of them.