Shadows of Self Chapter 3

WeiryWriter

I am so freaking in love with Wayne, it's not even funny. We got a little bit of his backstory!!! (Sidenote: his and Wax's bro-ness is probably the best thing ever. having gotten a sneak peek of the beginning of their relationship makes it about 20% cooler.)

Once he passed beyond the edge of his speed bubble, it automatically collapsed.

I've been wondering what would happen if Wayne were to do this.... is this new information, or was I just out of the loop?

Edited by Spooky Eowyn

Marasi sighed inwardly, falling into step with the two. They had so much history that they moved in concert subconsciously, like two dancers who had performed together countless times. That made life particularly difficult for the newcomer who tried to perform with them.

I am feeling for Marasi so much here. Having been Wheel the Third on a few occasions myself I know how it is. 

Also, nice parallel between the final scene of this chapter and the final scene of The Alloy of Law's prologue. Only, in the prologue, it was very much about what Wax would do when the woman he cared about was held at gunpoint, whereas here it's really about how Marasi will deal with being held at gun knifepoint. And I'll be honest, I am a little disturbed - I don't think Marasi is the type of character to casually blow somebody's brains out, I think this action will stay with her for a big chunk of the book.

Also (x2), mistcloaks, mistcoats, what's next? Mistsuits in Era 4?

Edited by Argent

I am so freaking in love with Wayne, it's not even funny. We got a little bit of his backstory!!! (Sidenote: his and Wax's bro-ness is probably the best thing ever. having gotten a sneak peek of the beginning of their relationship makes it about 20% cooler.)

I've been wondering what would happen if Wayne were to do this.... is this new information, or was I just out of the loop?

Heh, I'm glad I'm not the only one who's that crazy.  (I also had the hugest crush on Harper back when Andromeda was on the air, and I'm married to a quirky, smart-mouthed computer guy.  Yes.  I have a type.)

Though I'm still not entirely sure that what we got was Wayne backstory or him getting into character with his method acting thing.

And yes, AoL made it pretty clear that time bubbles of both type collapse when the creator exits them.

Edited by Kaymyth

Though I'm still not entirely sure that what we got was Wayne backstory or him getting into character with his method acting thing.

ooh, that's right.... that is a significant bummer. Oh, well. We already have most of wayne's backstory... the details will come with time, I'm sure.....

Also, nice parallel between the final scene of this chapter and the final scene of The Alloy of Law's prologue. Only, in the prologue, it was very much about what Wax would do when the woman he cared about was held at gunpoint, whereas here it's really about how Marasi will deal with being held at gun knifepoint. And I'll be honest, I am a little disturbed - I don't think Marasi is the type of character to casually blow somebody's brains out, I think this action will stay with her for a big chunk of the book.

Okay, I just can't stop thinking about this.... Wayne will know almost exactly how she's feeling, given his past. I bet, if it does bother Marasi (which I'm sure it will), she'll go to Wayne for comfort. Or they'll at least talk about it to each other, have another heart to heart.

Not sure if this is the right place for it, but in Alloy of Law:

“This is my cousin Marasi,” Steris said, nodding to the woman behind her.

In the preview:

She was not infatuated. He had made it clear there would be nothing between them, and he was engaged to her sister. That was that. Couldn’t the two of them have a professional relationship now?

Is this an error, or just a symbolic sisterhood?

Not sure if this is the right place for it, but in Alloy of Law:

In the preview:

Is this an error, or just a symbolic sisterhood?

They are half sisters. Marasi is illegitimate, and so they pretend to be cousins.

Edited by Spooky Eowyn

"The tall, compact tenements cast deep shadows even in the afternoon. As if this were the place dusk came for a drink and a chat before sauntering out for its evening duty."

This line, I love it.

Wayne is rusting great, the way he views the world is so... interesting XD

• 2 weeks later...

. . . it's impossible to miss this, Wax outright deduces that in front of her.

Sometimes my audiobook will skip ahead for no reason. So its actually pretty easy to miss key plot elements without ever noticing when listening to a book rather than reading it.

ooh, that's right.... that is a significant bummer. Oh, well. We already have most of wayne's backstory... the details will come with time, I'm sure.....

Okay, I just can't stop thinking about this.... Wayne will know almost exactly how she's feeling, given his past. I bet, if it does bother Marasi (which I'm sure it will), she'll go to Wayne for comfort. Or they'll at least talk about it to each other, have another heart to heart.

Honestly, to me it parallels when Vin duralumin-pewter headbutts that guy's skull into pieces back in Well of Ascension.

• Chaos locked this topic