Let's play pretend (Spoilerifical)

Miyabi

I want to see what people's thoughts are on the strength (In regards to characters from all Cosmere worlds) this particular person would have.

You have someone who is naturally born a pure Terris Feruchemist, no genetic dillusion.

This person then burns a bead of Lerasium.

So at this point we essentially have TLR.

We then have enough of these pure Terris Feruchemists, and freshly born Lerasium Mistborn to do the following:

Use an Atium spike to steal each property from each of these people as many times as possible while leaving the subject at least vaguely human. So not quite as extreme as a Koloss, but potentially slightly more inhuman than an Inquisitor.

Thoughts?

So basically someone like InquisiMarsh from HoA but having full feruchemy/full power mistborn baseline?  I'm not sure the additional spikes would actually boost anything.  As to the feruchemy, how do you get more than full efficiency.  As to the allomancy side, it is my understanding that lerasium mistborn is max power.  I suppose one could gain InquisiVision, but that is a specialized effect (though it could be attained without eye-spikes, it just appears to be quicker with).  I suppose the feruchemy side would benefit the most since you could use spikes as metalminds.  Although, if all the spikes were atium, that might not be that much of a benefit.

I'm almost certain the lerasium mistborn is not necessarily full power, its only the most powerful we've ever seen, the use of hemalurgy/more leresium could elevate powers beyond that level.  For example we've got WoB that suggests at times in the past the Lord Ruler made use of hemalurgy to further augment his powers, although he avoided doing it on an ongoing basis as he knew the dangers of too many hemalurgic spikes.

Put all the spikes in a cat?

Put them in a cat, breed that cat, rinse and repeat with kittens until you create a race of sentient cat-people with full power set, and then put spikes in one of those? That would be one powerful cat, yes it would :)

And yes, one would probably get stronger than Lerasium mistborn by adding spikes :) It might be possible that enough spike would reduce fuel requirements (metal) to nothing or nearly so, or have duralumin-level power without duralumin. Whether the body would stand s¥that for long is another question entirely.

Put them in a cat, breed that cat, rinse and repeat with kittens until you create a race of sentient cat-people with full power set, and then put spikes in one of those? That would be one powerful cat, yes it would :)

XD....wait. If someone has allomancy or feruchemy through haemalurgy do those genes get passed down to their descendants the same as someone who had them naturally? (Because that could be very very interesting to know.)

XD....wait. If someone has allomancy or feruchemy through haemalurgy do those genes get passed down to their descendants the same as someone who had them naturally? (Because that could be very very interesting to know.)

not the same, but:

You've said that Inquisitors could have children. Would those children have a better chance at being Allomancers compared to if they had the kids before they were Inquisitors?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, but there also could be...complications.

First) -- TLR actually was way more powerful an allomancer then you could imagine. Yes he could compound all of his feruchemy, but his strength derives from (I got this information straight from brandon) the fact that he made himself super powerful when he used the WoA. It was basically the equivalent of burning multiple lerastrium beads. And yes, I have it confirmed that lerastrium just adds the power to an existing mistborn. 

Second) -- The law of Hemuralgic decay states that power is lost even if its given immediately to another person. It is the net negative art after all. So having said this, you might be able to give an inquisitor multiple spikes, but you do have a limited number of bind points on a single body. Plus only one power may be stolen at a time. For example a mistborn will only yield a misting power not all of them. 

But on a level of strength, I would put my money on the mistborn feruchemist, because of the concepts of hemuralgic decay and the fact that the spikes become a weakness. With unlimited feruchemical health, the battle could go on forever, but the spikes can be pulled out, thus removing the powers and ending the battle 

A couple of points. Atium spikes don't decay, so the power levels would be the same.The spikes are a potential weakness though. Correct me if I am wrong but I believe there are over 200 bind points on the human body and the spikes don't have to be anywhere near as large as the inquisitors. So they could certainly have all combat useful spikes and really, enough spikes to have every power at an equal to degree to the fullborn. Fairly certain they could actually have them enhanced beyond that actually =)

And yes, I have it confirmed that lerastrium just adds the power to an existing mistborn. 

The rub with this confirmation is that it allows an out.  A normal mistborn is at reduced power relative to a lerasium mistborn.  This confirmation did not close the hole on what happens if a lerasium mistborn uses lerasium again.

I have the confirmation from Brandon Sanderson in person. I was at the steelheart signing on sep 24 at Barnes and noble. My brother was next to me when he asked "what happens when a mistborn burns lerastrium" Brandon said "it would add that power on too of what they already have" my brother then asked "is that how The Lord ruler was so powerful like with his soothing?" And Brandon said "no The Lord ruler actually just made himself really strong when he held the power at the well of ascension." So I can't cite this but I have it confirmed in person from the author himself so...

Also your assumptions are that mistborn not made with lerastrium fit this but a lerastrium made mistborn like Elend can pass down the lerastrium in his genetics. Vin is a descendant of a lerastrium mistborn. Don't assume they work differently. The power just ends up diluting over generations

Also your assumptions are that mistborn not made with lerastrium fit this but a lerastrium made mistborn like Elend can pass down the lerastrium in his genetics. Vin is a descendant of a lerastrium mistborn. Don't assume they work differently. The power just ends up diluting over generations

Right, I know what you are saying.  My point is, is a lerasium mistborn the apex of mistborn strength?  It could very well be included in your confirmation.  But Brandon sometimes is evasive with his answers and answers the question asked while leaving out important details.  The purpose of stating lerasium mistborn is to indicate a power level rather than any other special-ness.  Just saying mistborn could allow Brandon to answer for the case of a typical mistborn (who received their ability through their genetic heritage) while not addressing the case of a mistborn who received their ability by burning a chunk of lerasium.

Note: Just so you know an admin may come along and lump your posts together.  Apparently double posting is frowned upon.  So if you post and think of something else you want to add later, the preferred method is by editing the first post rather than making a new post.  If it is a day or so later, then double posting is kosher.

Edit: Also when you get a quote from Brandon like that, we call that Word of Brandon or WoB.  I recommend posting any questions and answers you have asked and received in a thread in the Events, Signings, and Stalkings subforum.  That way everyone can see the new WoB and find it easily later.  Such quotes are considered canon.

Edited by Shardlet

Scott, was that asked during the reading QnA section or while he was personalizing books?

If it's the first it could be found in my recordings found here. If it's the other we have to wait for Kendra as she recorded all of the questions while he was personalizing books.... where did she disappear to anyways?

@Shardlet/Weiry it is possible that that was MAG only. I thought that point was in general canon though I could be incorrect. However, if it is correct that still fits perfectly with haemalurgy being end-negative as the spike can still only take one power or attribute. The result is already end-negative before the power in the spike decays at all so I don't think that's at all conclusive evidence for atium spikes decaying.

@Miyabi/Scott

We don't really have to wait for an "official" source in order for Scott to cite that q&a with Brandon as a given fact. His word is good enough, as is usually the case when we get signing reports.

What we do need, however, is an explicit "I have X info from Brandon at Y event" at some point, rather than coasting along on a "well, we all know that..." and leaving everyone befuddled as to your source. It's generally appreciated if people post a thread saying "hey, I got this new info X at event Y" so that the community as a whole is made aware of any new information that surfaces, and so that everyone can cite it going forward.

I know, I was just providing a possible place for a source to be found.

Either way.

I feel you would be able to create someone stronger in both Feruchemical and Allomantic aspects due to using more than one Spike for each thing, creating someone potentially as strong as, or stronger than TLR.

Haha wow thanks for all the info. Sorry about that but yes variable X would be that Brandon said a mistborn who burns lerasium puts that power on top of what they already have. And also that TLR didn't get his power this way but just used the well to make himself super powerful. But he answered this very matter of fact like and not at all elusive so I am guessing there is no trick to it? The Y variable would be the book personalization around 8:30ish? I can't remember when we finally got through the line. Thank you for helping keep me official.

Also a mistborn would not be limited this means because if vin burned lerasium that power equivalent to Elends would be put on top of what she already has. So basically she would be the equal to elend plus herself. Showing that the power does not max out. I mean hemuralgy does the same thing and they stack powers.

Thanks again everyone. I want to be as official as I can and stay a strong voice in this forum. I would never post anything I didn't know as a confirmation.

• Chaos locked this topic