Kingkiller Chronicle

Chaos

The Slow Regard of Silent Things

First of, I would've loved this novella if it had been released after DoS. Now I can't help to feel that maybe, just maybe, Rothfuss aught to focus on day three instead of all his side projects. That said it's a wonderful book, if you like Rothfuss writing and aren't afraid of an artsy/different book read it.

SPOLIERS AHEAD

This is some of the passages that really struck me on my first read trough:

"he was absolutely not a selas sort."

Foreshadowing eh?

"On the third day, Auri wept."

This was powerful!

(Sadly somewhat less so when someone pointed out that this was when Kvothe had his bad plom bob incident) 

"Like a wrist pinned hard beneath a hand with the hot breath smell of want and wine"

Poor broken Auri...

Edited by Entropy

Finished The Slow Regard of Silent Things a few days ago, so now that I've had some time to think about it, I can say that:

• I didn't quite love it, but I sure as hell appreciated it. It's a very Auri kind of book - Pat's got the tone very right, the prose reads very much the way Auri speaks. This is, perhaps, easier to accomplish with Auri than with a more traditional character, because her speech patterns are more irregular, more unique, than a "normal" person's, but it's still a difficult task.
  • The frequent repetition of "Auri washed her face and hands and feet" was a really odd, but successful way to give Auri character. I expected that either this ritual of hers would be interrupted, and that would lead to a greater conflict, or she would find conflict, and that would lead to an interruption of this ritual. It's good to be right every now and then :)
  • Auri throwing highly technical jargon here and there was probably my favorite thing about the novella. There is something magically jarring in the tiny elfin girl, full of childish wonder and simple (but not simplistic) thoughts, mentioning scientific terms in passing.
  • I don't think we saw Kvothe's name a single time in the entire novella. This is probably important for how Auri thinks and feels about names.

All in all, I can only agree with Pat's foreword and endnote - it's not a book for everyone. It breaks more rules than it follows. It's not even a book for me, I am not the target audience here, but I think I like it well enough to not care that other people will find it far more enjoyable than I did.

• 2 weeks later...

Love Rothfuss, loved Slow Regard...

An out-there idea I haven't seen mentioned before: what if we have the framing vs. "actual" story the wrong way around, and the tale Kote is telling to Chronicler is in fact an elaborate act of naming intended to transform himself into Kvothe?  He's trying to recreate himself with a made-up past that will leave him unrealistically brilliant at everything, thus creating the hero needed to fix everything that has gone wrong in the world.  Along the same lines as how we hear of Lanre renaming himself and gaining powers in the process.

Reasons I think this would be interesting:

1)  The obvious place this story seems to be going is that something terrible happened which led to Kvothe hiding his name in the locked box and becoming the Kote we see in the framing story.  But watching this happen and then somehow resolving the situation is a LOT of material to get through in a satisfying way in just one more book!  Would be fascinating if it turned out to be the exact opposite of what everyone expects.

2)  Kvothe is ridiculously, at times irritatingly good at everything.  Part of that may be exaggeration (there is plenty of evidence that he's not the most literally reliable narrator) but still, his excessive awesomeness is a common complaint from people who didn't love the books.  How awesome would it be if this turned out to be the entire point of the tale?  Kvothe is so intelligent, amazing memory, magical powers, musician, lover, fighter, etc, exactly because these are the attributes that Kote wants/needs to gain.

3)  The unreliable narrator thing.  There are many, many references to how Kvothe/Kote values the shape and aim of a story over exact literal truth - he talks about how his dad taught him which aspects of a tale to cherish, and later on about how the tales of the Edema Ruh are all 'True' even if the exact things in them didn't quite happen in that way.  It seems very likely that his own tale to Chronicler is similarly embellished.  Which is interesting (thinking about this aspect adds an extra layer of complexity to my rereads) but ultimately unsatisfying because as readers we are invested in this tale and really want it be literally true.  If we get our nose rubbed too much in the idea that Kote is embellishing the tale he is telling to Chronicler in order to make the story more perfect and satisfying, that ends up making the tale that Patrick is telling to us LESS satisfying.  Pat talks a lot about how this is a story about stories - one way to make that work on every level is if the story-ness of the inner story (as opposed to just the facts that happen in it) turns out to be essential for the framing story as well.

Am I crazy?  :-)

Edited by shawnhargreaves

I found it very interesting that one of the leading theories for KKC is that Kvothe changed his "name" to fully become Kote, and Auri creates this place for him and literally says she will craft a new name for him like he did for her. Regardless of the whole crush thing, I believe Auri will have a big role in book 3.

About the whole 'seven things stand before' theory, 'Ring Unworn' could also refer to the rings sent between noble's in the Maer's court. Which, granted is a lot less mystical than the ring of air, but also a bit more practical.  

I don't know, it's... not very prophetic. If there were seven types of rings, maybe I could buy this - but we only know of iron, silver, gold, bone, and maybe wood. Five is not that far away from seven, but it's far enough away.

• 1 month later...

This makes it sound so... I don't know. It doesn't sound the Kingkiller I read, the magic is not there.

Source: New Regency (reddit)

Yeah, that makes the story sound really generic... As we've discussed before a bit, Kingkiller isn't the most original premise ever, at least Kvothe's origin story isn't, but what makes it so stunning is the way the story is told, and this makes me even more concerned that a TV version won't do the series justice. Is this an actual blurb for the upcoming series? :(

i can see why a lot of you are frustrated with Rothfuss's lack of haste in supplying day 3, but personally i coud just carry on rereading day 1 and 2 until its release. Ive also read many different reviews on tSRoST's. i understand that it is just 7 days within the life of a character that doesnt go anywhere inparticular (correct?) in this case i think only the fans who have been truly captured by the kingkiller chronicles and Rothfuss's style that will enjoy it or at least appreciate it.

there's a few points i would like to discuss about the first two books that i havent spotted within the discussion previously. first, we all seem convinced that the girl Kvothe is taking about when struggling to think how best to introduce her to the story is Denna (correct me if im mistaken) but its never really made clear that it is Denna. i would of been convinced myself beyond any reasonable doubt that it was Denna if she hadnt already been introduced to the story before this point. The Denna that travells with Kvothe from Tarbean to the university is THE Denna is it not? Plus from the point were Kvothe does struggle with how best to introduce HER, Kvothe himself gets quite intermate (to some extent or another) with a number of key strong female characters before Denna sings with him at the Aolian. theres something there between Devi and Kvothe. its a long shot but she is kinda the female equivilent of Kvothe and would be much more useful to him in hid further endevours than Denna no doubt. Theres Auri, everybody loves her. but as i understand she wasnt in the original script which kinda scuppers that one.... maybe?? Bast lets us know that he's seen her once, which lets us know this women has entered the land of the Fae.. no? not a very good insight unless master Ash is Fae of some kind or familiar with.

Another would be the whole 'kings that gets killed' thing. i personally think that Ambrose is the king in the present, not the king Kvothe kills. Mear Alveron is third in line for the throne... ??? maybe Ambrose's dad is killed by Kvothe which would explain the huge bounty on head.

There's also a lot of fans that belive when Kvothe was expelled from the university and then re enstated, is the expulsion hes taking about in his introduction. Im not buying this. i would like it to be the case but it just doesnt fit. plus who do we think Kvothe hurts or worse to get expelled? Hes gonna be able to call the name of almost anything especially when under extreme stress? could one of masters get it?

Has anyone listened to the audio books? Degas is a masterful story teller! the best ive listened to so far, and truly does the books justice. his accents for each character are fantastic and he throws in a couple of well known actors accents. loved them! although im glad that Kramer reads most of Brandons books. please dont judge me for being a listener. i barely get time to read.

I sorta hope Kvothe's love does turn out to be someone other than Denna, just because I think that would be a really cool and interesting twist, but I think it's unlikely.  Not a lot of room left for him to establish a deep enough relationship with any of the other candidates.  vs. Denna where a lot of time has been spent building up their relationship in detail over both the first two books.  Also it's really only that text where he first talks about how to introduce her that suggests this could possibly be a misdirection, while many statements about Denna later on imply pretty strongly that she really is the one.

but, I'm still hoping  :-)

Particular his comment about how best to approach her, where he says like a wild thing, slowly and indirectly...   That could just be why the next chapter talks about other people (including introducing Auri and Devi) before getting around to Denna, but it could also be an admission that the next chapter is being highly indirect and circling around the actual truth.  In particular the way he introduces Auri, describing playing his lute without at first mentioning that she was listening, then casually mentioning that she was there only to skip right past her without giving any detail, later looping back to explain how he first met her, but then moving right along to distract us with the much more elaborate story about getting his pipes and meeting Denna...  what's that if not a slow and indirect approach to a wild thing?

I know it most probably is Denna, I guess I just kinda hope there's a surprise there also. I don't think it's a mistake that Rothfuss made easy to dislike Denna. Or maybe it wasn't his intention. I guess she's sweet but their relationship winds me up a little. Still I wouldn't have it any other way. The story is what it is and I love the story.

I'm new to this fan site although I've read most of what Brandon has written. I really didn't know that fans of one where literally fans of the other where Brandon and Pat are concerned. Me picking up NotW was complete luck and reading the KKC led me to this forum. I think it's great. Fell in love with Brandon's books after the Mistborn trilogy (first I read) and was completely blown away by the stormlight archives which I found more delightful the second time round. Even started a 3rd reread but didn't quite make it. The KKC's though has to be the most beautifully written works I've had the pleasure to read/listen to ;-) seriously, if you haven't listened to audio, go for it.

Nah, that would mess up his style. Brandon writes windows to worlds, so you can see through the glass. His writing is all about making that glass as clear as possible. Rothfuss's writing is more like a sculpture, painted exactly, beautiful in form. There's another dimension to it. Unfortunately, it takes longer to make a sculpture than a window.

This quote by swimmingly is spot on. Just wanted to share it. I'm not all that computer savvy so please try to bare the spelling, bad grammar and my use of this forum in general.

Responding to a couple of points:

1. I got and read "The Slow Regard for Silent Things" over the holidays.  I quite enjoyed it, but I happen to really like Auri.  If you don't want to spend an entire book watching Auri go through her life, with no other characters, and a lot of stuff that was a bit hard to follow because of how bizarre her point of view is, then it is probably not for you.

2. that TV show blurb looked terrible.  If Rothfuss were involved creatively with the whole project (a la martin w/ game of thrones) then it could still come out OK, but based solely on the blurb, I would rather they just not.

3. Denna is probably my least favorite character in the books, and I would be perfectly happy with Kvothe being romantically involved with literally any other person/fae/other.

3. Denna is probably my least favorite character in the books, and I would be perfectly happy with Kvothe being romantically involved with literally any other person/fae/other.

Heh. You, of course, have the right to join the wrong Denna camp :)

Nope. Most likely not 2015.

I have Mr. Rothfuss on my twitter and on New Years he posted a bunch of new years resolutions, one being "I will not be releasing Doors of Stone this year. You might as well start getting used to it now". Whether he was joking or not is obv up for debate, but I'm leaning towards no.

I have Mr. Rothfuss on my twitter and on New Years he posted a bunch of new years resolutions, one being "I will not be releasing Doors of Stone this year. You might as well start getting used to it now". Whether he was joking or not is obv up for debate, but I'm leaning towards no.

I've generally assumed 2016 or early 2017, though this isn't so much based on any evidence as just pessimism.

that said, i suspect winds of winter will be out around the same time, and if it is 2016, we may also get stones unhallowed.  which means 2016 could be a very good year for me, though I will need a new bookshelf by then

I've generally assumed 2016 or early 2017, though this isn't so much based on any evidence as just pessimism.

that said, i suspect winds of winter will be out around the same time, and if it is 2016, we may also get stones unhallowed.  which means 2016 could be a very good year for me, though I will need a new bookshelf by then

One shelf would be taken up by those 3 books alone, most likely.