Kingkiller Chronicle

Chaos

I feel like Kvothe will not spend too much time at the University in book 3, however. As good as the setting is, I don't think it can handle its own full book, and based on all the legend-making Kvothe has to do left I feel he will still have a lot of travelling to do.

The end of WMF pretty much stated outright that the University arc was almost done. So, /sad

The end of WMF pretty much stated outright that the University arc was almost done. So, /sad

Yes it seems something happened.. he probably went too far with his fued or accidently did something worse than calling the wind on another student.. We do know that thier is a climax to the university.. But this stealthy well versed in magic, adem arts of fighting, thievery and survival Kvothe will be back at it and in high demand

Yes it seems something happened.. he probably went too far with his fued or accidently did something worse than calling the wind on another student.. We do know that thier is a climax to the university.. But this stealthy well versed in magic, adem arts of fighting, thievery and survival Kvothe will be back at it and in high demand

I have high hopes that it will be something much darker and much more crippling. I want the University to breakdown completely if Kvothe has to leave.

Eh, wouldn't say so. It has its active and inactive periods, but it's never been truly dead.

Probably for several reasons, but I imagine one of them is that Sanderson and Rothfuss do things together and fans of one end up reading something from the other. That's how I picked up Name of the Wind. Came right to this thread.

My dad has such a hard time saying his name. It's really funny because he can't just substitute Kote in while reading, he always tries to do it the hard way. I am pretty sure that I have it spot on, although I might say the V too much.

I say it Kwohthe, with the "th" soft as in "the". Don't know if that's right or not, but I don't care. The spelling is certainly very strange on Rothfuss's part. But it must be important, for names are oh-so-important in the Four Corners!

I say it Kwohthe, with the "th" soft as in "the". Don't know if that's right or not, but I don't care. The spelling is certainly very strange on Rothfuss's part. But it must be important, for names are oh-so-important in the Four Corners!

Look up Rothfuss interviews on the series, he says the name.

That and Kvothe describes how to pronounce his name toward the beginning of Name of the Wind. 

Yea, the whole "sounds almost like 'quote'" didn't work for me. Since day one I decided that the e at the end of it was not silent and that's how I keep saying it in my head. When I talk to other people I will say it "correctly" (kvôTH), but in my head there is that e after TH. Which makes things really weird during the interlude chapters, because I am tempted to turn Kote into something like kot + eh (instead of a name that sounds very much like the word coat), which means "kitty" in my (and half a dozen other Slavic) native language. It is, in fact, how they translated it.

Anyway. It doesn't matter. Pat is very much in the same boat as Brandon when it comes to names - you say it like it sounds to you, and as long as others can figure out whom you are talking about, it's all good.

Anyway. It doesn't matter. Pat is very much in the same boat as Brandon when it comes to names - you say it like it sounds to you, and as long as others can figure out whom you are talking about, it's all good.

That's been such a relief. I remember reading the Wheel of TIme and then finding out that the Glossary (?) in the back had pronunciations. It was pretty far off from what I had been thinking in my head. My friends who read WoT have very unique pronunciations too that I just let slide. 

It wasn't until I listened to a Wheel of Time on audio that I realized that Nyneve wasn't Nyvene. I never really recognized the second "n" so it totally screwed with me for ages. I always called Perrin Purrin before the audio book as well. Now when I read books I always go with what the audio book says, never my interpretation.

It wasn't until I listened to a Wheel of Time on audio that I realized that Nyneve wasn't Nyvene. I never really recognized the second "n" so it totally screwed with me for ages. I always called Perrin Purrin before the audio book as well. Now when I read books I always go with what the audio book says, never my interpretation.

EVERYONE has trouble with Nynaeve, Everyone. My brain dyslex'd it so hard I was saying (Ny-nuh-vee). It was pretty bad. But all my friends had even more messed up versions, so it was OK. Since then I have corrected it in my mind and I'm actually much happier with the 2 syllable, correct version. 

I was able to correct my mispronunciation of Nynaeve, but not Egwene (egween), Aiel (ale), Faile (fail - OK, that one was intentional), or Taim (tame). 

I'm exactly the same except I have always pronounced Aiel (Eye-eel). You're scaring me a little, because I thought (Egween) was the right pronunciation...... Yeah, I never want to fix that. 

Bloodfalcon, on 10 May 2014 - 12:07 AM, said:

Booooo! BOOOOOO! I like mine better.

Rust and ruin, I just learned I've been pronouncing it your way and therefore wrong. How does eh-GWAIN make sense? :'(