Copper compounding

Minsk Ghoul

When person is both feruchemist and allomancer he/she can burn his metalmind and get an extra burst of characteristic that stored in it. This happen because this person access this power via allomancy, so extra burst go from Preservation. This multiplying effect looks normal for all feruchemical storages, except one. Coppermind. Feruchemist store memories in copper. If you compound copper, what will happen? It will stupid, if it just duplicate some of the information on coppermind. I have an idea, that when person compound his coppermind memories on it become more detailed. I mean that Preservation get necessary extra information from Cognitive or Spritual realms and give it to compounder.

My personal theory is it just becomes a permanent memory. The Lord Ruler, after all, is famed for having perfect recall, especially of faces and names. Presumably he keeps a copper reserves, meets someone, puts the face to a name, stores that memory in the copper in his stomach, and immediately burns it, giving him that memory permanently. Just a thought.

Although, your idea of a Shard obtaining extra detail gives me an idea.

Warbreaker

It's bothered me for a while that Lightsong remembers the exact shade of his niece's lips, when presumably he never saw them while at the Third Heightening. Maybe this is how.

Ow... :(
My idea seemed to be so good to me. The second reasoning in support of my idea: Preservation's intent is to preserve everything how it is. So it is obvious that knowledge about any tiny detail of physical realm is important to this Shard, and Preservation can share this knowledge, just like it share it's power with allomancers.

Regarding the Lord Ruler... Nobody just did know about his feruchemical abilities, so his excellent memory looked like wonder, and no one connect it with copper bracelets.

Edited by Minsk Ghoul

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/32432-copper-compounding-speculation/You're not the first one to slam your head against this wall :)

I like the idea of the memories being more detailed but I wonder how exactly the shard would get the information? Ruin (or more accurately ruin's Shardholder) wasn't all knowing, he could see pretty much everything aside from things near/made of metal, but he missed the subtleties of Breeze and Kel's relationship when trying to trick Spook. Unless the shard has abilities the shardholder cannot use himself you might be a bit limited on what extra information you can add.

It does give me another idea though, what if copper-compounding made a memory more intense? So you turn happiness in your memory into indescribable joy or sadness into misery. Kinda of like seeing the whole world as a Brandon Sanderson book. :)

On a related note, maybe Copper Compounding (allomantic) could protect against Bronze Compounders (seekers).

You... Can't use compounding to strenghten allomancy. By nature what it does is to add the power you would get from preservation for allomancy into the feruchemical charge of the metal you are burning while releasing it.

You... Can't use compounding to strenghten allomancy. By nature what it does is to add the power you would get from preservation for allomancy into the feruchemical charge of the metal you are burning while releasing it.

Ehhhh... There is a paraphrased WoB floating around about how it's possible to use compounding to boost Allomancy.  Though it's still a mystery on how that would actually work.

• 3 weeks later...

It does give me another idea though, what if copper-compounding made a memory more intense? So you turn happiness in your memory into indescribable joy or sadness into misery. Kinda of like seeing the whole world as a Brandon Sanderson book. :)

What if instead of a vivid memory youll relive the moment as if it just happened.

Well Saze says at some point in TFE/WOA how if you keep tapping a coppermind for a memory, eventually that memory degrades even when you store it. So perhaps burning the coppermind could either resharpen/touch up those memories enough for you to make a fresh coppermind or allow for a highly detailed sharpening or immersively vivid 3D reliving of a particular memory, like how that scene in Continuum where Kira uses her suit's technology to recreate a whole crime scene to near 100% accuracy.

EDIT: spelling

Edited by ParadoxSpren

That's just the fact that memories in general aren't as sharp in your head as time passes. People forget things. Nothing magical. I'm not sure investiture can just recreate information that doesn't exist that easily.

Well the Information could be "take" from the Preservation futuresight/pastsight.

Theory:

The Logic of the Compunding are exactly "use Allomantic Engine to burn a metalmind"

But we know that in Allomancy the metal isn't "the power" so maybe a metalmind in allomancy are a "key" to access Preservation's power in form of this attribute.

when you burn a pewtermind you don't get your own strenght*10, but use your strenght as a Key to tell at the "Allomantyc engine to convert Preservation's power to strenght.

If this is true, a "memory" could be the key-word to "Give me that Information from Preservation's Knowledge"..... Better than Google :)

Compounding shouldn't really have anything to do with the intentions or views of the Shards. Don't forget that compounding is something that should not be. It is a hack to the systems created, not something that was planned and envisioned. 

Sure, but also if the Compounding are an Allomancy-Hack, it must have its rules.

I just said how the allomancy works and how could possibly works during a Compounding.

But tapping the Mind of Preservation makes no sense if it wasn't designed to work that way. The Investiture from both Ruin and Preservation is a byproduct of their Power, not their Minds. Preservation's Mind, in any case, was trapped what was trapping Ruin in the Well, so wouldn't exactly be available to be tapped by a compounder. 

All in all, burning the memory permanently into one's own mind makes sense. Anything else loses the memory since the copper mind is burned away. This feels wrong for an action that is primarily derived from Preservation, even a hack.

Technically none of the magic systems on Scadrial were originally designed by anyone to begin with.

It's the reason for my speculation about how really the Allomancy works, and why an allomancer could trick the Power to burn metalminds.

• 2 weeks later...

I just started this very topic, somehow missing that it was already here on the front page. Whoops.

Basically, my idea was that maybe you'd Invest the memories, creating a sort of magical AI, if you compounded it enough.

The simplest explanation is that you'd just fill up your coppermind with a whole bunch of copies of the same information. That's pretty lame, but being an aluminum Misting isn't exactly awesome, either. Not all of the powers on Scadrial are cool.

I really like my coppermind AI idea, though.

• Chaos locked this topic