What is Odium doing in WoK?

The Count

This may seem a little left field but here is my train of thought...

From some quotes we know that Odium is 'settled' on Roshar and would find it hard to leave.

So presumably he is present on Roshar throughout the events of WoK.

(I say this as I presumed at first reading WoK that Odium was on his way to Roshar rather than was always there...)

So what is he actually doing?

Shards we have seen are pretty omnipotent about events on their worlds

Ruin knows everything that is happening on Scadrial

This would indicate that Odium is aware of Kaladin's burgeoning power and potential, knows Jasnah is researching the Voidbringers. Knows Dalinar is attempting to unite the highprinces...

I can only speculate that he must be, at least partially, bound by the oathpact despite the events in the prelude and so cannot act directly. However, there must be agents working for him in world, either with or without knowing it.

Ghostbloods?

Taravagian?

Restares?

Szeth?

I have no real conclusions to draw here, just wondering what people think.

As far as I can tell, the Shard isn't, in fact omniscient. (Well,  I can only guess from Vin's POV, and some of Sazed's). A Shard can have general idea of what is happening, like "this planet is tilted wrong", can probably sense certain events related to it directly, but Ruin, for example, had no idea where a large chink of his body was. And to follow a human, I am relatively certain that Rayse'd have to concentrate on that spot, at least. So, he might be aware, or might be distracted, or might even organize those events for all we know. That said, in the book, the large face guy said "Odium reigns."

So, IMO, that is what he does. Without spending his power directly, investing in spren or whatnot, he influences minds all over Roshar, making hate-related aspects stronger, like xenophobia, racism. Instigating wars, undermining society. Without much effort, mostly just letting human nature take its course, mostly. It is possible that he was the cause of surgebinding being so rare until now, and now he got distracted by the Last Desolation (possible, not probable);

As for servants.. probably not knowingly. Tarvangian, most certainly influenced by Odium. Others... maybe. But I doubt there are many followers in the know.

A Shard can have general idea of what is happening, like "this planet is tilted wrong", can probably sense certain events related to it directly, but Ruin, for example, had no idea where a large chink of his body was. And to follow a human, I am relatively certain that Rayse'd have to concentrate on that spot, at least. So, he might be aware, or might be distracted, or might even organize those events for all we know. That said, in the book, the large face guy said "Odium reigns."

Yeah, I have to agree with you on this.  We've got the sections from Preservation's perspective in Mistborn, and while the shard can see a lot of things it can't see everything.

Edited by Phantom Monstrosity

Due to this being the SA and not Cosmere board, the following contains info from Mistborn so I've tagged it.

As far as I can tell, the Shard isn't, in fact omniscient. (Well,  I can only guess from Vin's POV, and some of Sazed's). A Shard can have general idea of what is happening, like "this planet is tilted wrong", can probably sense certain events related to it directly, but Ruin, for example, had no idea where a large chink of his body was. And to follow a human, I am relatively certain that Rayse'd have to concentrate on that spot, at least.

Yeah, I have to agree with you on this.  We've got the sections from Preservation's perspective in Mistborn, and while the shard can see a lot of things it can't see everything.

Marsh's POV's also reinforce this, with Ruin not able to concentrate on him at all times.

Edited by Senor Feesh

• Chaos locked this topic