Seons and Religion

So, I remembered one of the other thoughts I had whilst re-reading...

There are two points in the book where Ashe comments on religion. The first he says to Sarene "Your god would never allow it to happen" or words to that effect (I forget the exact phrasing). The second he mentions the possibility of converting to Shu-Korath - the line is something like "If He keeps you safe, then He might have His first Seon convert."

So my question is this: is Ashe just following normal human speech patterns and mannerisms (and in the first example, attempting to off Sarene comfort) or do Seons know more about the nature of Gods on Sel that we first thought?

The one that gets me the most though is that first line:

"Your god would never allow that to happen."

Now it's possible, as I stated, that he's just trying to be comforting. But part of my brain wants me to believe he knows something here, and that Domi is a real force capable of influencing the world - and that Ashe knows it, is aware of these other forces in the Cosmere. And if that's true, then is Jaddeth also real? Are Jaddeth and Domi the same entity even, but interpreted differently through the eyes of Shu-Korath and Shu-Dereth? I might have to bug Brandon with this at whatever Q&A he does next. Or if someone is low on questions at a signing, I humbly offer this to ease my mind :P

The one that gets me the most though is that first line:

"Your god would never allow that to happen."

Now it's possible, as I stated, that he's just trying to be comforting. But part of my brain wants me to believe he knows something here, and that Domi is a real force capable of influencing the world - and that Ashe knows it, is aware of these other forces in the Cosmere. And if that's true, then is Jaddeth also real? Are Jaddeth and Domi the same entity even, but interpreted differently through the eyes of Shu-Korath and Shu-Dereth? I might have to bug Brandon with this at whatever Q&A he does next. Or if someone is low on questions at a signing, I humbly offer this to ease my mind :P

I suggest you become more Cosmere-aware before speculating further.

And this is a really good question.  Do the Seons/Skaze have a religion?

More cosmere aware? I'll have a hard time until WoR comes out :P I suppose I can always go on another theoryland trawl.

If I'm missing something fundamental here though, please fill me in. I'm not always able to keep it all in my head.

Edited by Senor Feesh

• 2 months later...

Only knowing Mistborn and Elantris, I'm assuming that the gods here are similar to Ruin and Preservation. My question is whether or not the seons would know this.

(Only knowing some Cosmere stuff, I'm assuming that these gods are shards, though I don't really know what that means more than knowing that Ruin and Preservation are shards, so my thought is they are like them.)

My other question on that actually would be would the gods on this planet be one shard or two, since even in canon some believe they are the same gods with different names, like worshiping yahweh or allah.

Only knowing Mistborn and Elantris, I'm assuming that the gods here are similar to Ruin and Preservation. My question is whether or not the seons would know this.

(Only knowing some Cosmere stuff, I'm assuming that these gods are shards, though I don't really know what that means more than knowing that Ruin and Preservation are shards, so my thought is they are like them.)

My other question on that actually would be would the gods on this planet be one shard or two, since even in canon some believe they are the same gods with different names, like worshiping yahweh or allah.

I don't know how much spoilery stuff you want, but I'll warn you that we know a lot more about what is happening on Sel than you would learn from Mistborn and Elantris.  Some of it is from Way of Kings, and a lot is word of Brandon.

What are you willing to know?

I'll throw in a spoiler tag and do some explaining, if you want to read it. This is going to have some Stormlight Archive, and some light Alloy spoilers, so you might want to read TWoK first if this is gonna bug you. There are also cosmere spoilers throughout.

You are one hundred percent correct about Sel (Elantris and Emperor's Soul world) having Shards. There are two on Sel, Devotion and Dominion. They were held by Aona and Skai respectively. Both holders are now dead, and the Shards have been Splintered. Devotion and Dominion were killed by the Shard Odium, held by a man named Rayse. Devotion's Splinters are the Aons at the heart of the Seons. It seems likely that the skaze, evil Seons, contain the Splinters of Dominion. Some people, myself included, believe that Devotion and Dominion have passively merged, much like Ruin and Preservation into Harmony, except without anyone holding them. This new combo Shard is referred to as the Dor on Sel. As for the Seons knowing about the Shards, they at least don't follow the same gods as the humans do, according to Elantris.

EDITED: To say one more thing

Edited by Windrunner

• 7 months later...

Way thread necro, but I found this while searching for a WoB related to the issue for another thread and thought I would post it here as well. 

Ashe says to Sarene "your god". Do Seons (and Skaze) have a religion/god?
BRANDON SANDERSON

They have an inkling of the nature of their original Shards, which they would consider their gods.

QUESTION

Kind of like a first, a prime, a parent?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Yes. They kind of know what happened that created them, and they also know this is not the god being worshiped (by Sarene), so...

Source

• Chaos locked this topic