What Are You Reading, Part 2

Chaos

Going through Expeditionary force series book 6.  Military sci fi with some humor and some jack in the box stuff.  Honestly it is popcorn stuff but it’s like stale popcorn with great salt that you just keep going.  Ah, the things I do while waiting for SA4.

Also releasing next week is Rysa Walker’s third instalment of Delphi Revolution- more urban fantasy but of a good kind.  Think cooler but slightly soppier version of hunger games (in style) but some really cool fantasy elements (think sixth sense).

45 minutes ago, Wax said:

Going through Expeditionary force series book 6.  Military sci fi with some humor and some jack in the box stuff.  Honestly it is popcorn stuff but it’s like stale popcorn with great salt that you just keep going.  Ah, the things I do while waiting for SA4.

Just finished that book. It is starting to seem a little more stale as the series goes but I keep reading them! 

19 minutes ago, Storming Radiant said:

Finished Crossroads of twilight! Does that mean that I've crossed the lowpoint? Anyway, it'll take a little while till I'll get the next book:(

Well think of all the stuff that still has to happen, and realize that it only has 4 or 5 more books to happen in (forget the actual count).  Things definitely pick up steam, if only because they have to.

21 minutes ago, Storming Radiant said:

Finished Crossroads of twilight! Does that mean that I've crossed the lowpoint? Anyway, it'll take a little while till I'll get the next book:(

Last 4 books are much better paced. I actually liked Knife of Dreams a lot and then the last 3 Brandon did were good. 

Just finished the Scadrian section of AU

Scadrian Report

Spoiler

How did scholars in Silverlight figure out that Scadrial was artificial?

The Eleventh Metal

Nice little story though I don't really care for Kelsier that much

Allomancer Jak

This guy is such a blowhard. I liked the annotations a lot more than the actual 'story'

Secret History

Spoiler

This felt like a group of short stories similar to how Stormlight books are a trilogy and short story collection.

Kelsier's con of the Ire was hilarious! One of the rare times I like the jerk.

Seeing the stuff with the Ire makes me more curious on the interconnectiveness of the various worlds.

Also is the Ire fortress in Cognitive Sel? If it is then that would mean the whole problem with Devotion and Dominion has been resolved by the time of Mistborn.

So nice seeing Khriss and Nazh. Brandon needs to put these two in the narrative more!

I found it interesting that Khriss hasn't found Yolen yet here but definitely has by the time of Era 4. Wonder when she found it and how she first learned about it.

Hoid being a badass? Sign me up for him whooping more butt!

Didn't expect Leras/Preservation to be in so much of this story.

So was the whole 'Kelsier taking up the power of Preservation' in Sazed's books? If not how the hell is it common knowledge by the time of W&W?

Kind of nice seeing HOA from a different side that clears up some stuff happening to Vin.

Ah at Vin at the end :wub::(

The rest should be faster now with Taldain, Threnody, First of the Sun and Roshar having only one entry though I'll do my next review after finishing the solo story worlds

I'm trying to finish every book I started before Skyward hits the market, because I know that I'll read that one first and put the rest aside (again).

So atm I'm reading the third part of Cixin Liu's third body problem. And then I have Veronica Roth's The fates devide on my list.

On 02/10/2018 at 6:37 AM, StormingTexan said:

Just finished that book. It is starting to seem a little more stale as the series goes but I keep reading them! 

What a ho-hum book that was...

Anyway, I started reading “Have sword, will travel” by Garth Nix... and this news popped out...

https://au.finance.yahoo.com/news/8-old-swedish-girl-plucked-074229013.html

Texas sharpshooter fallacy / confirmation bias - here I come

I'm SPEED (make sure this is very clear in your head) reading through *glances around nervously* Allegiant *checks to make sure no one heard.* 

The less time on that book the better, at this rate it'll only be a waste of 3 hours of my life reading it.

Finished the Otherland series by Williams. It takes him a while to get to his series endings, but I think he writes some of the best that the fantasy genre can offer. He strikes a really good balance...so much happiness and some sadness as well. Very bittersweet. But I think it gives meaning to the happy endings knowing the price that was payed to achieve it. I think Tad Williams writes in such a way that you will either love or hate and to be honest I don't think I would be able to appreciate his books ten years ago. I've now read his Shadowmarch and his original three Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn and have enjoyed all three series. I will probably read the new Osten Ard books in the early part of next year.

Im not reading anything yet since Ive been out of town doing a little bit of shopping.  I bought three books from Barnes and Noble

some Irish historical book about Irish race culture

Mistborn book 2

Dean Koontz's Frankenstein series book 2

Edited by urrutiap

Finished three more AU stories

Taldain Report

It makes you wonder what the system looked like before Autonomy arrived

White Sand

Brandon sir you seriously need to get around to finishing this story. Heck you could have this be your project after finishing Era 3, Elantris and Nightblood as the in between books for Stormlight back half.

Anyway the graphic novel does a good job of translating the story as best it could without the descriptions of what Taldain is like.

Threnody Report

It would be nice if Nazh presented a map of the continents

Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell

Spoiler

I love the puritan names of the characters. I could almost imagine them dressed like puritans.

So sweet that Silence practically adopted that girl.

Not William Ann!

How much silver is on that continent anyway? Is it so common that they can still have good pieces to combat the Shades?

Drominad Report

Kind of interesting that Khriss has yet to visit this place. I mean she's been around for thousands of years by this point. Guessing she's been spending 80% of her Planet time on Scadrial.

Sixth of the Dusk

Spoiler

This might be controversial but I did not enjoy reading this from Dusk's POV at all. He felt too impersonal for my tastes to the point that he reminded me of Mr Darcy and the male love interests from terrible romance novels that only appeal to sexually frustrated teenage girls. It didn't pick up for me until Vathi arrived.

Wonder what's going on in the Cosmere at this point that the Scadrians are desperate to advance First of the Sun to 'modern' standards.

Just one story left in AU and I'm in for a beating since it's Edgedancer and the annoying Lift

I read Legion a long time ago but never really got into the book enough to read the second book. I just finished all three and have a new appreciation for them. As a whole they are much better even if they are not my favorite Brandon books. 

Spoiler

Absolutely loved the Perfect State tie in though in Legion 3. 

Edited by StormingTexan

Read Tarnsman of Gor by John Norman(yes the infamous Gor with slavery that made an entire subgenre) and Lunatic Cafe by Laurell K. Hamilton(yes the Anita Blake series before it went full erotica) 

I am definitely not the target market for either books(I brought them so why the hell not .. They're fast enough read anyways) but I can understand the appeal for either.

What surprised me is that Gor(1st book) isn't actually too crazy about the sexual slavery(it was famous for this). It was too vanilla for its reputation(other portrayal of slavery in other fantasy is actually much much more cruel). Maybe it does get worse later but not on the first book(maybe if I stumble upon the 2nd book I would find out)

About to read Tigana by Guy Gavrial Kay and Edge of Destiny(guildwars book but I've never played the game so time to get confused reading it)

Edited by goody153

31 minutes ago, Briar King said:

It’s still my only one I have read but I bought Lions with it. Will read that sometimes in 2019.

I think I liked the Sarantium books a bit better than Lions, but it was pretty good - though he has some quirks that he indulges in in that one to the point that they started distracting me, and I don't tend to do deep reads, so if i'm noticing patterns in the writing it is because they are blatant.

Just finished Edgedancer.

Roshar Report

With the outer 10 planets named after the Heralds I wonder if they're placement in relation to Roshar shows where on the planet they pop up?

Edgedancer

Spoiler

Still not a fan of Lift.

At least Nake knows that he's failed and is going to stop killing Radiants.

Glad she's going to stop calling poor Wyndle a voidbringer.

Interesting how it shows how the western nations don't trust Alethkar enough to heed their warnings. Guess that's what happens when you glorify war and every other nation doesn't.

Who else wasn't creeped out by Arclo?

Now I can finally get to Oathbringer! Finally after a year I can read this!