Penny Dreadful

Quiver

...Accompanying the True Detective thread is this one! Penny Dreadful! 

Season two wrapped up recently here, which is good timing since I finally finished season one last week. I actually had a few people mention the show (QuiteContrary, and Eerongal), but it's only been recently I've been able to put aside the time to watch it. I'm gonna hopefully start watching season two this week.

From season one... I like it. I think the overarching plot was a little vague at times -I was a little unclear how things worked or fit together. And, honestly, I still am a little; mainly because, if vampires all look the way they do in the series, I'm unsure who it is that "claimed" Mina, since the description of him sounded quite human...

Still, it was an interesting show, atmospheric, and I'm excited to start watching season two!

(And I may do episode-by-episode responses as I do, if anyone wants that?)

So here's the thing about Penny Dreadful: it's really not about the plot. There is plot, and it's mostly cohesive, but it's neither the interesting, nor the best thing about the show. Instead it's the characters, and to a lesser extent the setting and the subversion of Victorian elements (e.g. Viktor Frankenstein creating not one, but two "monsters", or the mashup of Victorian characters) that make the show great. Beautiful cinematography too. 

If anything, the first season has a tighter plot than the second one. As you continue watching it, you'll notice that the plot is more of a general direction than a fixed path to a destination. And because of this looseness, you get to have every character interact with almost every other character, and it's beautiful. 

First off, this show is great, and I love it.

...Accompanying the True Detective thread is this one! Penny Dreadful! 

Season two wrapped up recently here, which is good timing since I finally finished season one last week. I actually had a few people mention the show (QuiteContrary, and Eerongal), but it's only been recently I've been able to put aside the time to watch it. I'm gonna hopefully start watching season two this week.

From season one... I like it. I think the overarching plot was a little vague at times -I was a little unclear how things worked or fit together. And, honestly, I still am a little; mainly because, if vampires all look the way they do in the series, I'm unsure who it is that "claimed" Mina, since the description of him sounded quite human...

Still, it was an interesting show, atmospheric, and I'm excited to start watching season two!

(And I may do episode-by-episode responses as I do, if anyone wants that?)

A good portion of these questions will be answered in season 2. Not sure how much spoilers offend you, so I'll put it in spoiler tags on this.

As of season 2, they have straight up said that the "master" is not a vampire. In fact, vampires are not even in season 2. They basically straight up say that it's the devil. As in Lucifer, the fallen angel, by name, and he using every agent at his disposal to get at, not mina, but Vanessa. Mina was just bait used by the vampire.

So here's the thing about Penny Dreadful: it's really not about the plot. There is plot, and it's mostly cohesive, but it's neither the interesting, nor the best thing about the show. Instead it's the characters, and to a lesser extent the setting and the subversion of Victorian elements (e.g. Viktor Frankenstein creating not one, but two "monsters", or the mashup of Victorian characters) that make the show great. Beautiful cinematography too. 

If anything, the first season has a tighter plot than the second one. As you continue watching it, you'll notice that the plot is more of a general direction than a fixed path to a destination. And because of this looseness, you get to have every character interact with almost every other character, and it's beautiful. 

This is very true. The plot is, honestly, not even very "centra" to the show. Several episodes will go by without ever touching on the "main" plot, and will instead focus on interactions between several of the main characters. 

I started watching season one, and it seemed good at first, but midway through I started losing interest. Not really sure why.

I did to and it became a chore to watch it but I finished. s2 completely blew S1 out of the water though it was amaze balls.

@Er you are a tad off in regard to statement in tag.

The one thing I didn't like in S1 was Drac arc was always way to backgroundy. The baddys in S2 have screen time and lots of developing arcs so the viewer connects more over the absent Drac of S1