Marvel or DC  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Marvel or DC

Having never actually read any of the comics, I can't really comment on those. 

I can't give a logical essay on why I dis/like either group, but I'm definitely a Marvel fan. Feel free to contradict me below, but DC's always fallen a bit flat to me, for some reason. And Superman's always felt like a Mary Sue to me. 

Marvel's movies have never disappointed me. I just love them. Agents of SHIELD less so, but it's still one of my favorites.

Movies and TV = Marvel.
I'm not sure about comics because of my limited experience with them but I think it's DC.

Main problem with DCCU is that they're too inconsistent to be considered as a proper "shared universe". Arrow, Flash, etc. don't really exist and most likely won't exist in their cinematic universe. And as it looks like, most of these upcoming movies will adapt already established stuff to make their individual stories work better. Of course it will let them make better stand alone movies, but as far as shared universes go that's simply boring and makes a lot of stuff feel like non-canon and fillerish.

Another problem is that they're taking themselves too seriously(when it comes to movies) since Dark Knight trilogy happened. Everything and everyone is dark and brooding. I like dark stuff, but they're getting overboard with it.

On the other hand DC movies without brooding have been simply bad so far.

Eh...

Movies: Marvel
TV: Eh... DC. I like Agents of SHIELD, but it can be sort of uneven, whereas Arrow and Flash are consistently good.
Comics: DC.

How is Arrow consistently good? I have fun with it but I would never describe it as "good", even though Green Arrow(comics) is my favorite DC character. I understand from your name and avatar that you must love that show and I'm not trying to offend. I just don't see what makes it so good for you.

Edited by Cracknut

Comics:

For heroes: Marvel.  They have a far more diverse range than DC.

For villains: DC.  The villains in the Marvel universe are mostly two dimensional while DC really delves into their stories.

Movies:

Marvel easily wins.

TV:

DC but barely.

Comics:

For heroes: Marvel.  They have a far more diverse range than DC.

For villains: DC.  The villains in the Marvel universe are mostly two dimensional while DC really delves into their stories.

Movies:

Marvel easily wins.

TV:

DC but barely.

Think I have to second this.  and since I tend to watch more TV than Movies, this means DC has the edge for me.

Movies and TV = Marvel.

I'm not sure about comics because of my limited experience with them but I think it's DC.

Main problem with DCCU is that they're too inconsistent to be considered as a proper "shared universe". Arrow, Flash, etc. don't really exist and most likely won't exist in their cinematic universe. And as it looks like, most of these upcoming movies will adapt already established stuff to make their individual stories work better. Of course it will let them make better stand alone movies, but as far as shared universes go that's simply boring and makes a lot of stuff feel like non-canon and fillerish.

Another problem is that they're taking themselves too seriously(when it comes to movies) since Dark Knight trilogy happened. Everything and everyone is dark and brooding. I like dark stuff, but they're getting overboard with it.

On the other hand DC movies without brooding have been simply bad so far.

How is Arrow consistently good? I have fun with it but I would never describe it as "good", even though Green Arrow(comics) is my favorite DC character. I understand from your name and avatar that you must love that show and I'm not trying to offend. I just don't see what makes it so good for you.

Well...okay. Lately, Arrow hasn't been great; in fact, I will complain a lot about season three. However, season two was fantastic, and season one -while flawed- still had a lot of strong points in its favour.

(I'll explain exactly what I liked about the series when I have more time- sorry! I can PM it if you prefer?)

That said... Flash. Flash was GREAT this year. Yes, it had some stumbles, but overall, I really liked it.

Well...okay. Lately, Arrow hasn't been great; in fact, I will complain a lot about season three. However, season two was fantastic, and season one -while flawed- still had a lot of strong points in its favour.

(I'll explain exactly what I liked about the series when I have more time- sorry! I can PM it if you prefer?)

That said... Flash. Flash was GREAT this year. Yes, it had some stumbles, but overall, I really liked it.

Yea, seconded on both counts.  seasons 1 and 2 of arrow were great, and season 1 of flash as well.  I'm even cautiously optimistic about legends of tomorrow, or whatever they called the new spinoff.  supergirl too.  Plus the DC animated shows are generally really good as well.  the 90s batman and 2000s justice league shows were outstanding

Exactly! :D Not consistently good :P First and second seasons were much better. Last season though, that's worst I've seen in TV. Sure, however you like.

Am I only one who likes Gotham more than Arrow and Flash? :(

Nope. I also like Gotham better. And to be honest, I haven't even watched Flash. Can't force myself to. I really liked the Arrow universe at the beginning for its realism, but then they added super powered people, and well... it bugs me. 

But to start with, I want to say that I am not a big comic reader. For me comic universes are WAY too crowded in terms of over-powered characters. In Marvel there are probably more superpowered people (mutants, superheroes, various weird people, etc.) than generic Homo sapiens representatives. This is crazy. I don't know how it looks in DC, as I've never actually felt the urge to check, but by the sheer numbers of the Justice League members I can guess it's not so different. And, yes, I could read the comics just about one character, for example, but right now some superhero team-ups happen every second issue, so it's not so easy to avoid these crowds of superheroes. 

Therefore in comics’ category the winner is... Marvel. For having Guardians of the Galaxy and Star-Lord alone. That's the only criterion I use. When Marvel first announced GotG movie, I decided to check it out, and then Wikipedia said there is a freaking talking racoon, and since racoons are my favourite animals by far I decided to read the comic a little. I've been a huge fangirl ever since. That's basically the only comic I actually read.

But I do agree that DC villains are way more multidimensional than the Marvel ones. So DC also gets points here. 

Movies: Marvel, for consistent universe, with limited number of characters (I was actually strongly against adding Spiderman and I am strongly against any ideas of adding X-men or Fantastic4 to the MCU). However The Dark Knight is a way better movie than all the MCU movies together, so I would claim DC as the winner here, if they didn't try to make a REALLY rushed Justice League movie right now and cast Ben Affleck as Batman on top of that. As a huge TDK trilogy lover, I feel that they're trying to push it too much, and that it's not working well, and that it's going to be crap, and I really don't like crap movies involving Batman, because he's an awesome character. Simply because the TDK trilogy is still fairly new, I feel that it is simply too early to make another Batman version. And, well. Man of Steel was meh. And all the DC movies before Batman Begins are not even worth mentioning. 

TV = Draw. Agents of SHIELD are just bad, but Netflix's Daredevil is amazing, and I haven't watched Agent Carter, but I heard that it was fine. Arrow was good, but now it gets worse, Flash I haven't watch, and I'm not planning to, Gotham is entertaining, but nowhere near as good as Daredevil. Also DC gets some points for amazing Batman TV cartoons that I watched as a kid. 

Nope. I also like Gotham better. And to be honest, I haven't even watched Flash. Can't force myself to. I really liked the Arrow universe at the beginning for its realism, but then they added super powered people, and well... it bugs me. 

But to start with, I want to say that I am not a big comic reader. For me comic universes are WAY too crowded in terms of over-powered characters. In Marvel there are probably more superpowered people (mutants, superheroes, various weird people, etc.) than generic Homo sapiens representatives. This is crazy. I don't know how it looks in DC, as I've never actually felt the urge to check, but by the sheer numbers of the Justice League members I can guess it's not so different. And, yes, I could read the comics just about one character, for example, but right now some superhero team-ups happen every second issue, so it's not so easy to avoid these crowds of superheroes. 

Therefore in comics’ category the winner is... Marvel. For having Guardians of the Galaxy and Star-Lord alone. That's the only criterion I use. When Marvel first announced GotG movie, I decided to check it out, and then Wikipedia said there is a freaking talking racoon, and since racoons are my favourite animals by far I decided to read the comic a little. I've been a huge fangirl ever since. That's basically the only comic I actually read.

But I do agree that DC villains are way more multidimensional than the Marvel ones. So DC also gets points here. 

Movies: Marvel, for consistent universe, with limited number of characters (I was actually strongly against adding Spiderman and I am strongly against any ideas of adding X-men or Fantastic4 to the MCU). However The Dark Knight is a way better movie than all the MCU movies together, so I would claim DC as the winner here, if they didn't try to make a REALLY rushed Justice League movie right now and cast Ben Affleck as Batman on top of that. As a huge TDK trilogy lover, I feel that they're trying to push it too much, and that it's not working well, and that it's going to be crap, and I really don't like crap movies involving Batman, because he's an awesome character. Simply because the TDK trilogy is still fairly new, I feel that it is simply too early to make another Batman version. And, well. Man of Steel was meh. And all the DC movies before Batman Begins are not even worth mentioning. 

TV = Draw. Agents of SHIELD are just bad, but Netflix's Daredevil is amazing, and I haven't watched Agent Carter, but I heard that it was fine. Arrow was good, but now it gets worse, Flash I haven't watch, and I'm not planning to, Gotham is entertaining, but nowhere near as good as Daredevil. Also DC gets some points for amazing Batman TV cartoons that I watched as a kid. 

I agree on everything except TDK being better then all Marvel movies put together but that's taste thing. + TDK isn't as much DC as it's Nolan seriously :D

And Agents of SHIELD. I hated it too, but got into it like month ago. Skipped first 5 episodes as I had seen first two episodes when it started but didn't remember at time where I had stopped. fastforwarded a lot until I got up to 8th or 9th episode. At some point it got above all other comic based shows for me(after getting over the hype I settled that it's between DD and Gotham). First half of season 1 was bad. Second half of season 1 was decent(better than arrow(s3/s4) or flash at least). Season two is where it gets really good. You should give it a shot as you can't really know whether you like it or not if you don't invest a bit in it imho.

btw, have you guys noticed influence of John Wick on AoS and Gotham? :D Those gun-fu action sequences in last episodes :D :D 

Edited by Cracknut

I agree on everything except TDK being better then all Marvel movies put together but that's taste thing. + TDK isn't as much DC as it's Nolan seriously :D

True. But still, it has Batman and batman is DC, so I think it counts. And true, may be not put together, I exaggerated a little. But TDK is a crazily good movie, and Marvel has yet to make one as good as that. 

And Agents of SHIELD. I hated it too, but got into it like month ago. Skipped first 5 episodes as I had seen first two episodes when it started but didn't remember at time where I had stopped. fastforwarded a lot until I got up to 8th or 9th episode. At some point it got above all other comic based shows for me(after getting over the hype I settled that it's between DD and Gotham). First half of season 1 was bad. Second half of season 1 was decent(better than arrow(s3/s4) or flash at least). Season two is where it gets really good. You should give it a shot as you can't really know whether you like it or not if you don't invest a bit in it imho.

I don't hate it. I actually watch it, still. I just consider it to be a bad show that's all. And I really think that mid season 1 it doesn't get any better. I'm not saying it's not fun to watch from time to time, but it's not as fun as loads of other shows and it's definitely not as good. And I really don't consider it to be good. 

Edited by Pestis the Spider

Exactly! :D Not consistently good :P First and second seasons were much better. Last season though, that's worst I've seen in TV. Sure, however you like.

FINALLY.

ANYWAY.

The thing is... I like Arrow. I like that it's a fairly realistic take on a superhero, on all levels. I know that some people are annoyed by the dark and grittiness of it, and by how "Batman" Ollie can be. But I rather like it, because I think it's established very, very early on that that is not a good way to live. The whole story is basically a deconstruction of the dark age hero tropes because -while it might have been effective in the short run-... when Ollie was running and gunning down criminals, his ultimate mission failed, his friend died, he lost the love of his life, his family got blown apart...

Season two is amazing because it shows actualy growth for the character. Season three is bad because it feels-in a lot of ways- like a reset to some of the problems of season one... and just to reiterate, season one has a lot of problems. The writers cannot write romance, and I wish they would stop trying. The only good romance arc they had was Felicity and Ollie in season two*, for much the same reason the Ollie Slade rivalry in season two was so effective; it felt organic. Both characters had roles, personalities and -yes- characters beyond their feelings for one another. Season three lost that, because it became the Ollicity show.

(Another problem the show has is it's marginalisation of Roy and Diggle; neither character got to do very much of anything this year).

But... Agents of SHIELD.

I don't know how someone can call the first season good? It was fun enough to watch, I suppose... but it was also very repetitive, kind of bland, and felt like characters weren't going anywhere or achieving anything. Because they weren't, because the producers had to wait for The Winter Soldier.

Now... let me make this clear. The ending of season one, after the Uprising? That was amazing. And a lot of that quality bled over to season two.

...But I feel like the second half of season two dropped the ball a little bit. The Inhuman story didn't feel as strong or interesting as the HYDRA stuff.

So... on the one hand, we have a show which (one VERY bad season aside) generally maintains a reasonable quality throughout... vs one which I find okay, but which see-saws throughout the season.

Add in the phenomenal Flash show, and DC is the clear TV winner.

Frankly, I'm just worried that the synergy which helps Marvel is going to damage DC. There's already been two changes to the Suicide Squad in Arrow, motivated by the fact that the characters involved are appearing in the Suicide Squad movie. Frankly, I'd be much happier is WB left the series alone and let them do their own thing.

Movies: Marvel.

TV: DC.

The MCU wins hands down in the cinema, but I find Agents of SHIELD a little hit or miss. Don't get me wrong, it is good, and I love some of the stuff they use (who doesn't want a Quinjet?), but it isn't as consistently good as Arrow or Flash.

Arrow (even season three) has allowed their main protagonists to really grow as characters. As Quiver was saying in an earlier post, Oliver Queen really changes from the first episode to where he ends up at the end of season three. All of the DC characters have that.

I do wish they wouldn't segregate the TV and movies though. That has caused a few problems for them, with the Suicide Squad movie coming out.

Movies: Marvel.

TV: DC.

The MCU wins hands down in the cinema, but I find Agents of SHIELD a little hit or miss. Don't get me wrong, it is good, and I love some of the stuff they use (who doesn't want a Quinjet?), but it isn't as consistently good as Arrow or Flash.

Arrow (even season three) has allowed their main protagonists to really grow as characters. As Quiver was saying in an earlier post, Oliver Queen really changes from the first episode to where he ends up at the end of season three. All of the DC characters have that.

I do wish they wouldn't segregate the TV and movies though. That has caused a few problems for them, with the Suicide Squad movie coming out.

Spoiler with horrifying potential in-coming.

There's a rumor they've cast Slade in the Suicide movie. 

Considering Arrow had to write out and kill Harley and Deadshot because of the movie...

Look, all I'm saying is, if they write Manu Bennet out of the show, I can't be held responsible for what will happen.

I actually enjoyed the first season of Agents of Shield, and the whole uprising thing was amazing. And now that I have finished all of the psych and Doctor Who that are on Netflix, I am going to watch Arrow, of which I have only seen 5 episodes. And they were alright.

Edited by Redbird

Long post about how I feel about Arrow and AoS. Feel free to skip :D 

I agree with most of the stuff you said about Agents of SHIELD but I feel so differently about Arrow. I find it not only not dark or gritty at all but unbelievably unrealistic.

I literally have fun at it's stupid writing. And I'm not getting at something big there, just small illogical things all over the place. Just pay attention to details. For an example episode named Suicidal Tendencies in last season. Deadshot was literally sniping people from top of the roof of same building(exactly above the room) he was sniping people in. He either curved not only bullets, but also scope of the rifle or he didn't die there at all. But Digle and his wife totally bought it and those people are supposed to be professionals. And there are tons of stuff like that in this show. Almost every episode in last season has some of it. You know how lazy writers are when 3 or 4 consequent and final episodes of season repeat same plot twist for every single character on the show. Every single character "died", some of them several times and it all happened in space of 3-4 episodes. That after Oliver's "revival" and I won't even get into why he survived that.

Other seasons? Waller wanted to wipe whole city out to save the world from some goons. Diggle has been broken moral compass thorough the show. One episode, you have him talking about how killing is bad and Oli should not do it. Next episode he finds a way to justify it and is trying to convince Oli that sometimes he should kill. Characters with automatic rifles charging at each other to get into melee fight? Main character who's supposedly good at planning and strategy throws his advantage away and runs up to opponents he can easily take care of from range? Guy from Teen Wolf doing some somersaults that are nothing but counterproductive(literally there's a scene where he jumps over an edge of a car with somersault of some kind and all he had to do was take a single step to get to exact same place), totally out of place and bad looking.

Most important reason I put AoS above Arrow is characters. No one except handpicked few make any sense in Arrow. They act on out of nowhere drama that writers have to put in, in order to fill the lack of actual story and character identity. Diggle is exactly same guy he was 2.5 seasons ago. Same is true for Felicity outside of Olicity. Only character development Oliver got was on island and when he decided not to kill. He has been taught that lying to Theia is bad for 3 seasons, it had zero impact on him.  Theia learned how to fight, and stopped doing drugs but "well, it's cw let's not talk about that kind of stuff" attitude was strong about it. Guy from Teen Wolf was kinda better then he was in Teen Wolf and his character wasn't as bad as others. Black Canary looked so very good beside her sister. Laurel... I'm not going there. Acting of main cast is all around bad except Stephen Amell who seems to be only one trying(even though he's playing total opposite of character from source material). 

But all those character's don't matter in this show. No matter what happens they always are put into shadows in order for Oli to shine brighter. 9/10 times they are useless and annoying. I seriously can't say I "love" any of characters in the show. Except Malcolm and Slade. They're awesome. And I kinda like Stephen Amell more then I like the character he's playing :D :D And that's exactly where AoS wins this fight for me. I love Fitz, I love Bobbi, I love Hunter, I love those SHIELD brothers and I love Coulson(My very favoritest hero in MCU). And I've liked pretty much everyone else except Skye and Ward. And this show gave those two some huge character reveal/developments and I'm not hating on them anymore for being generic.

Idk, I pretty much marathoned both shows(1-2 seasons of arrow first) and I had genuine fun with SHIELD while Arrow annoyed, disappointed and made a bad joke of itself.

Edited by Cracknut

For comics: I prefer Marvel over DC... currently anyway, Marvel is more fun while DC gives me the impression of taking itself too seriously.

For cartoons: DC by a long shot has created better cartoon shows than Marvel. Batman: The Animated Season, Justice League, Young Justice, *cough*Teen Titans Go!*cough*, all these are fantastic shows. The best Marvel came up with were the 90s X-Men and Spider-man, and those were pretty inconsistent and ridiculous. 

For Live-action TV shows: DC has been in the business longer and has learned from its mistakes. Marvel has Agents of Shield (kinda a commercial for the movies) and the old Incredible Hulk. This goes to DC as well.

Movies: The recent Marvel movies have blown DC out of the water, but that's mostly because I find them funner. WB seems more concerned with making the next "Dark Knight" and not just make a good comic-book movie.

For comics: I prefer Marvel over DC... currently anyway, Marvel is more fun while DC gives me the impression of taking itself too seriously.

For cartoons: DC by a long shot has created better cartoon shows than Marvel. Batman: The Animated Season, Justice League, Young Justice, *cough*Teen Titans Go!*cough*, all these are fantastic shows. The best Marvel came up with were the 90s X-Men and Spider-man, and those were pretty inconsistent and ridiculous. 

For Live-action TV shows: DC has been in the business longer and has learned from its mistakes. Marvel has Agents of Shield (kinda a commercial for the movies) and the old Incredible Hulk. This goes to DC as well.

Movies: The recent Marvel movies have blown DC out of the water, but that's mostly because I find them funner. WB seems more concerned with making the next "Dark Knight" and not just make a good comic-book movie.

This.

Give it a year or two at most and Marvel will have TV as well. It's just sad, DC is stuck in the past.

This.

Give it a year or two at most and Marvel will have TV as well. It's just sad, DC is stuck in the past.

Eh... I think that's too subjective to really be fact. 

(And I'm kind of replying to your earlier post with regards Arrow in this as well).

I've heard good things about Agent Carter and Daredevil... but neither of those shows have aired on UK television, so I'm discounting them. Which leaves the (UK) televisual scape as one uneven-if-enjoyable show against an-uneven-but-largely-enjoyable show (Arrow), an-amazing-seriously-watch-Flash-it's-great show, and an upcoming spin-off event that already looks to be a lot of fun (Legends of Tomorrow).

And... honestly, criticising Arrow's writing is fair game. As I admit, romantic interests in that show get terrible writing (it's worth pointing out that Felicity got derailed this year when they pushed Olicity, while Laurel has become... better, at least), while other characters like Roy and Dig are sidelined.

But, to me, Oliver is a pretty compelling character. You say that he makes the same mistakes over and over... and I feel like that is part of the point. Everyone around him warns him that lying to his family and expecting them to buy it is a pretty horrible strategy... and he does it anyway. Oliver- especially in the first season- is shell-shocked, and presumably has a ton of PTSD which he isn't dealing with in a healthy fashion. Whenever he is out of the mask, particularly when he's in "Playboy Billionaire" mode, he comes across as very wooden and awkward, because he cannot process things like a "normal" person anymore.

A major theme of Arrow has been breaking people down, and building them up again- and, to paraphrase Hoid, seeing if you can make a man whole again. Heck, it's a line in the pilot; "The son you lost might not be the one who came back". The first half of season one showed us Oliver being beaten, tortured and broken on the Island; the second showed Slade attempting to put the pieces back together by training him for their escape. It keeps getting reiterated, over and over again; Ivo gives Ollie a choice to break him, Oliver hardens his worldview. Waller makes him drop his humanity by torturing a man. Ra's attempts to brainwash him.

You say that Ollie killing on the Island was the last big piece of character development he got, which is far from the truth in my opinion. The whole point of the second season is his character development, him developing a code of values and ethics; the thrid season involves him building his team, and rebuilding his city. A repeated motiff of the show is people asking Oliver "What happened on the Island/Hong Kong," and him refusing to answer it... to the point that his own team doesn't know his abilities, like his being able to fly a plan, or speak Russian and Chinese.

Which is why the ending of season three is so exciting for me. If there is one thing the show did right this year, it's putting the nail in "The Arrow" personna. We saw it crash and burn and literaly die repeatedly this season; when Ra's threw him off the cliff, when Roy "died". Oliver spent the finale in League Black after Ra's stripped the Arrow from him and turned him into Al-Sahim. Being the Arrow literally made Oliver suicidal.

...So the season ends with him retiring, smiling, handng duties off to his team, and sailing into the sunset with the woman he loved. The Arrow is dead; when Oliver comes back next year, it will be with a new outlook on life. He'll still be hunted, obviously- but I wouldn't be surprised if this season did start to show us an Oliver who starts actively using the Green Arrow name, and becomes more of the human character he is supposed to be.

Anyway, for non-liver action tv... yeah, no. Marvel is producing Avengers Assemble, Ultimate Spiderman and Hulk:Agents of SMASH. Those... are three pretty damning indictments on the company right there. Of course, DC is currently producing Teen Titans GO... but they also have a strong backlog of shows like Justice League, and are producing some pretty good animated movies; I'm really looking forward to Gods and Monsters.

And for comics... I would wait until September before making a judgement there, since DC and Marvel are both undergoing serious overhauls at the moment.

Edited by Quiver

Agent Carter screened in the UK during the midseason break of Agents of SHIELD back in January (it was on Sky though, not a regular UK channel - possibly even the same channel as Agents of SHIELD), and Daredevil is on Netflix, not a regular TV station, so hasn't been broadcast anywhere, other than homes which have Netflix.

You're not the first person to comment about Agent Carter though, quite a few of my friends missed seeing it too. I'm going to guess it wasn't very well advertised.

Edit: Meant to add, Agent Carter was alright. I enjoyed it, but I didn't think it ranked with Agents of SHIELD. Daredevil, on the other hand, was brilliant, especially the series bad guy, and the way they incorporated sounds into what was happening. There were numerous fight scenes where I winced, not from the visuals, but from the sickening cracks and crunches that came with each blow.

Edited by Bort

Daredevil is basically the show Arrow was striving to be: gritty and realistic, but also, y'know, good.  Not that Arrow was bad (Season 2 was phenomenal, and I mostly enjoyed season 3), but Daredevil managed to maintain its quality pretty much throughout, to the point that I am kinda looking forward to the other Marvel shows Netflix is planning.  though having a shorter season helps, and Netflix presumably has less onerous restrictions than CW as well.