Dragonsteel

Mailliw73

Dragonsteel is an unpublished series set on the Shardworld Yolen. The first two books form a duology, with Hoid as a major character. They are preliminarily titled "The Liar of Partinel" and "The Lightweaver of Rens". The first one, and perhaps the second one as well are set before the Shattering of Adonalsium. Brandon will not show anyone these books, and I don't think he's even written them both. There are five more books that occur hundreds of years later, so not "directly" a series, but still the same world. These five are the core Dragonsteel sequence, the first of which Brandon wrote for his master's thesis at BYU. It is still in the library there. Many things have changed since then, so this book is no longer canon.

• 1 month later...

If I'm not a student at BYU could I drive over to their library and read it on location or do I need to be a student to use anything in their library at all?

From the BYU Library FAQ:

I am planning a visit to the Library. How do I gain access to the collections?

The general collection is available to the public for use in the library. For information about checkout privileges for visitors, click here. Use of Music & Dance Archives and Special Collections materials needs to be arranged with curator David Day

So now the questions is:

Is Dragonsteel considered part of the general collection? :P/>

Edited by Curse

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I put in an interlibrary loan out on it. We will see if anything turns up. I saw that they won't do it for UVU, but I assume that this is due to proximity as I have heard that others have been able to get it.

• 1 month later...

Dragonsteel is considered part of the general collection. Its proper place on the shelf is with all the rest of the honor's theses (housed in the reading room on the third floor--the main floor: 1 and 2 are underground). However, it is rarely on the shelf. It is available for Interlibrary Loan, though I am not sure which libraries exactly BYU loans to. If you are lucky enough to catch it when it is on the shelf, more power to you, but currently it is checked out...

too ME!!!!! (insert evil laughter). 

After 7 WEEKS with a hold on it, I finally checked it out yesterday. And now that I finished my last final, I can read it starting tonight!

Edited by kateydidnt

I think there is actually a Brandon quote out talking about how he pulled the Shattered Plains from it and combined it with stuff from WoK Prime to make Way of Kings, along with some style changes/improvements that he's made over the years, both from writing on his own and finishing up Wheel of Time.

It seems like it would be fun to read, but it would probably make things even more confusing with its familiar characters (Or maybe just Hoid?), but non-canon status. 

OOoooooH! MAGIC!

Edited by Cheese Ninja
"Admin Magic" is your answer.

I wonder if there are any non-superficial carryovers relating to the Shattered Plains that might shed light on their background in the Stormlight Archive. They look similar and are both the setting for a war involving bridgemen, but does Dragonsteel contain anything about their history, or other details that might have come with them?

I suppose we may never know (or very few of us anyway).

After 7 WEEKS with a hold on it, I finally checked it out yesterday. And now that I finished my last final, I can read it starting tonight!

Grats! I hope you enjoy it. :)

I was going to add that the wait list for Dragonsteel is incredibly long, but I think your post illustrates that point quite nicely. ;) If anyone is interested in checking it out, your best bet is to just go to your local library and ask.

• Chaos locked this topic