Brandon is done with The WoT

Kurkistan

There wasn't a really appropriate board for this, so I just picked the one that seemed best. :)/>

Am I alone in being relieved that Brandon is finally done with WoT? Not in the "wow, the series is finally done, hurrah!" sense, at least not purely, but in the "now he can finally start writing his own stuff again" sense?

Don't get me wrong: I'm glad that Brandon took on WoT. He finished the series right and--incidentally--in so doing boosted his reputation to levels that would have taken at least a few more years for him to build from scratch. The experience is also the reason why he now has the expertise to write the Stormlight books properly.

But Brandon has been pouring his soul into this for five years, and you can tell that it's worn on him, as well as taking considerable time away from his own works. I'm glad that he can finally step away from the self-described duty of writing WoT and do his own stuff again without worrying about pleasing someone else's fan-base or properly mimicking Jordan's voice and characters. This is true on both a selfish "Me want BOOKS!" level and on the level of being happy for Brandon as he finally passes the burden back onto Atlas' shoulders.

Sorry for spilling this out, it just seems that now is the time for saying deep and meaningful things about the meaning of stuff, what with all the testimonials coming out about the importance of The Wheel of Time; I thought it fitting to register my appreciation for Brandon and my happiness that he can finally lay WoT to rest.

Edited by Kurkistan

Very excited that he's back onto Stormlight!

Very glad that there will not be outriggers/prequels (although sad that we'll not get Tam's story) as Brandon will be able to get his own stuff out.

So glad that Brandon took on WoT, he did an amazing job and allowed me to find his own books and enjoy them in turn. I have friends who I then put onto his work who refuse to read WoT who have certainly been a bit cranky waiting for his books tho!

You're not alone at all.

While I love both the Wheel of Time and Brandon's other books, and would recommend them both to anyone interested in fantasy, I prefer Brandon's books over Robert Jordan's, and I think Brandon enjoys his books more than Robert Jordan's as well. I read the blog posts of him trying to write a WoT book AND the first Stormlight Archive book very close to each other, and it sounded exhausting. I'm happy that Brandon finished it so he has a load off his back, but I'm also happy for the Cosmere fan that will get more books of Brandon's now.

If it was not for him taking over the wheel of time I would never have been introduced to Sanderson, so I am very glad he did it. on the other hand. just read way of kings last week.... want more! now!

"A wild Lurker appears!"

Seriously, though, welcome to the forums :). I'm glad you took the time to look at Brandon's work outside the WoT. You can head over to the Introductions section and introduce yourself if you want a cookie/waffle (but definitely not a spike in the face, because the Admins totally aren't spiking people left and right or hiding spikes inside delicious treats. Whatever gave you that idea? :blink: )

Edited by Kurkistan

• Chaos locked this topic