Allomancy or Feruchemy?

Turos

Pick your Power  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you pick?

If Brandon Sanderson magically stepped out of Shadesmar right in front of you, then guiltily bribed you to not tell anyone if he turned you into a Mistborn or a full Feruchemist, which one would you choose?

If I humbly refused would he give me both for modesty?

In all seriousness feruchemy is more useful for daily life. And I don't like being as conspicuous as a mistborn. Their powers are hard to not notice.

Feruchemy does have more useful metals, all of them do good stuff, while in our world, on the physical ,external mental, bendalloy and duralumin are useful, but you can use them as much as you want.

So I pick mistborn, really just for pewter since it does so much, it is three feruchemical metals in one, and you don't need to wait for hours to use them. Also freaking people out with zinc and brass would be fun :D.

If we were on Scadrial, I would definitely pick Mistborn. It would be harder to find metals of the correct alloys on Earth, and there wouldn't be any of the God Metals... having Atium would be awesome. I like Allomacy better as a power, but the disadvantage of being on Earth would make me more likely (and unwillingly) to choose Feruchemy :wacko:  <_<

And I don't like being as conspicuous as a mistborn. Their powers are hard to not notice.

Feruchemical Pewter is more conspicuous than Allomantic Pewter. Feruchemical Gold can also be pretty conspicuous.

If I can't have "Fullborn" powers or at least one of the useful Compounding Twinborn powers, then I'd choose to be Mistborn. The Internal Physical, External Mental, and Bendalloy Allomantic powers will be useful to me in my everyday life.

Also, more reasons to drink alcohol! :P

The reason I won't choose Feruchemy is because I just don't like the hassle of regularly having to store attributes, leaving me in a vulnerable, useless state for significant periods of time, just so I can use magic. (I admit that storing Memory, Weight, Warmth, and Calories might be beneficial in some cases.) I'm a reasonably busy person, so the ability to Compound Feruchemical charges is the only way to make most of Feruchemy practical for me.

Edit: Come to think of it, the benefits of storing Memory, Weight, Warmth, and Calories might make Feruchemy useful enough for me.

Edited by skaa

Allomancy; I can picture myself now, standing up on a podium, Soothing and Rioting massive crowds to make myself president. Then order the immediate arrest of Brandon Sanderson unless he makes me a Feruchemist too.

Feruchemist. Hands down. So much more practical. I want that copper. And mental speed.

Also, to those who want to steelpush off things, I'm fairly sure you could increase your strength and then decrease weight and jump and still get the same effect.

Feruchemy is too cool.

Allomancy; I can picture myself now, standing up on a podium, Soothing and Rioting massive crowds to make myself president. Then order the immediate arrest of Brandon Sanderson unless he makes me a Feruchemist too.

Yes! And unless he immediately finishes Stormlight 3, Shadows of Self, and Calamity.

Edited by Sarcasm

• 2 weeks later...

Given that Brandon was able to make you a Mistborn or Feruchemist I would say that he's either Harmony or Adonalsium. Either way I wouldn't push my luck with him.

Personally I'd pick Feruchemist but that's just because I wan't to tap Chromium during a lottery drawing.

Feruchemy is more useful in that it only takes one bead of lerasium to become a full mistborn, but to become a full feruchemist, one has to use multiple spikes, and that's just messy. Feruchemy also seems better rounded than the allomantic abilities. 

I think one major advantage to being a feruchemist over an allomancer is that if the alloys are mixed wrong, as mistborn it can cause some serious problems and leave you weakened. Which would be bad because you would probably already be in a tight spot to burn bad alloys. Feruchemists just can't use them, no harm done.

Seeing as Mistborns seem to be very under-represented here, I think I would also like to point out that Allomancy has much more dynamic and immediate results. Which can prove to be far more useful in many situations.

On the other hand, copperminds are a big draw for me. I'm just too much of a nerd not to want them.

Seeing as Mistborns seem to be very under-represented here, I think I would also like to point out that Allomancy has much more dynamic and immediate results. Which can prove to be far more useful in many situations.

On the other hand, copperminds are a big draw for me. I'm just too much of a nerd not to want them.

Allomancy might have more immediate results and doesn't require you to be weak for an amount of time, but at the same time, when would you realistically need anything more than pewter, tin, and maybe emotional metals? Most metals are either harder and more expensive to get, or just wouldn't be practical for anyone without some form of ultimate motive with the powers. The same could be said for feruchemy, I probably would never use iron, and probably not tin either. But I would use copper like there's no tomorrow, and I would use things like pewter and gold for short bursts of strength and healing that I might need every once and awhile. While allomancy is cooler and has better results, in our day in age, it seems more novelty than practical. Especially financially. Even if you might have to look like a scene kid with all the rings and other metal on your body..

Allomancy might have more immediate results and doesn't require you to be weak for an amount of time, but at the same time, when would you realistically need anything more than pewter, tin, and maybe emotional metals? Most metals are either harder and more expensive to get, or just wouldn't be practical for anyone without some form of ultimate motive with the powers. The same could be said for feruchemy, I probably would never use iron, and probably not tin either. But I would use copper like there's no tomorrow, and I would use things like pewter and gold for short bursts of strength and healing that I might need every once and awhile. While allomancy is cooler and has better results, in our day in age, it seems more novelty than practical. Especially financially. Even if you might have to look like a scene kid with all the rings and other metal on your body..

I don't know, stealpushing and ironpulling present some opportunities... Especially with guns in our world. And I, for one, would use bronze quite a bit - I would want to know about any other allomancers. And as far as financial status, being a Mistborn would certainly allow one to gain quite a bit wealth, so I don't think that presents such a problem. 

• Chaos locked this topic