Why is Hoid on Sel?

Hoid helped to deliver weapons to Elantris. We don't know how active his role there was, but I assume that without him the events at the end of the book may well have gone differently.

Additionally, it's a plausible idea that he may have been investigating AonDor and how to unlock it for use elsewhere.

Perhaps he was recruiting Worldhoppers?  No, wait, that's the 17th Shard...

I think he had an interest in seeing AonDor restored.  It's one of the most (if not the most) versatile magic systems in the Cosmere.  If Hoid could find some way around the regional ties, it could be very useful to him to have people who can use AonDor running around.  He also might be looking for ways to "unshatter" Dominion and Devotion, but that's just speculation.  

There's also the matter of the Moon Scepter.  I'm VERY curious to see why Hoid needed that.

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps he was recruiting Worldhoppers?  No, wait, that's the 17th Shard...

I think he had an interest in seeing AonDor restored.  It's one of the most (if not the most) versatile magic systems in the Cosmere.  If Hoid could find some way around the regional ties, it could be very useful to him to have people who can use AonDor running around.  He also might be looking for ways to "unshatter" Dominion and Devotion, but that's just speculation.  

There's also the matter of the Moon Scepter.  I'm VERY curious to see why Hoid needed that.

Was there any explanation of just what exactly the Moon Scepter is? It must be important, if Hoid did so much to get it, but this is really the first time in a Sanderson book that there's really been anything resembling a 'magical artifact.' Is that what this is? It must be, or there's really no reason to get it.

• 3 weeks later...

I asked Brandon on reddit why Hoid took the Moon Sceptre, and i asked if the Moon Rocks were involved in extending Sel's proximity issue with magic.

His response.

I'll talk about this eventually, but it IS related to the proximity problem--just not in the way you're assuming.

• Chaos locked this topic