Hoid Introduced the Metallic Arts to Southern Scadrial

waxingwass

If I recall, TLR kept the sDNA of the southern  people of Scadrial free from allomantic and feruchemical abilities, like an experimental control.  Which makes me wonder how they would have seen any of the Metallic Arts manifest?  It seems reasonable that, in order to develop something, especially something mechanical, like a mechanical way to utilize Investure, observation or some knowledge of its existence would be a prerequisite.  One possibility could be that somehow, someway, someone intentionally or unintentionally demonstrated allomantic, ferchemical, an/or hemelurgical abilities to them.

Well, who do we know that has this knowledge and seems to be involved, usually in subtle ways, with providing knowledge to key people at key points?  Granted, that knowledge is not necessarily something that the people even realize is important at the time given, but we the passive viewers of the Cosmere do.  It’s known that we’ll eventually get Mistborn: A Cosmerian Odyssey ® with FTL travel. And, many of the theories seem to involve some sort of use of the mechanical access to the Metallic Arts.  This FTL and spaceflight seems to be critical to the final phase of the Mistborn story as well as the Cosmere as a whole.  Additionally, we know of someone who’s essentially immortal, has lerasium, likely feruchemistry, and can worldhop.

I theorize (with no evidence to site whatsoever J) that our ol’ buddy Hoid provided the seed to the southern Scadrial to develop the “more mechanical” way of using the Metallic Arts, whatever that ends up being.  I would presume that he did this so that the people of Scadrial would have FTL/spaceflight by the time his final plan, whatever it is, comes together, and well, because he’s Hoid.

First theory post, but there’s no need to be gentle; please rip apart if there’s something I way off on here.  Haven’t come across any speculation on how the mechanical Metallic Arts developed while spending (way too much) time here at the 17th Shard, so figured I throw this out there.

EDIT:

Thanks Voidus and Unhinged for corrections & input there.

So, it looks like the folks of Southern Scadrial were the same as pre-TLR Scadrials from the North:  some Mistings popping up here and here, little to no Mistborn, and likely some more developed level of Feruchemistry since it was more prevalent in the population pre-TLR.

This does weaken the "theory" quite a bit :(, but I'm of the opinion that Hoid's influence in development of Mechanic Metallic Arts is still an interesting suggestion, still has no real evidence to support it, and is still in the realm of the Hoidish  :)

Edited by waxingwass

I don't think he kept their DNA free from feruchemy and Allomancy (Well perhaps free from feruchemy since he turned all the feruchemists into mistwraiths) so much as he refrained from altering them like he did the skaa or Noblemen to cope with the ashmounts, in fact to remove Allomancy he would have to tamper with their sDNA at least which is kind of the opposite of what he wanted them for (As a template for if he messed something up IIRC)

there's a WOB somewhere that say's that in the south mistings are very rare but not unheard of.  feruchemy however is unknown to them as are full mistborn.

EDIT: Found the WOB, was wrong about feruchemy but yes mistborn are unknown

they have the seeds of the Three Metallic Arts in them—though without anyone among them having burned Lerasium, Allomancers would have been very rare in their population and full Mistborn unheard of

Edited by Unhinged

• 4 weeks later...

The Lord Ruler kept them unaltered, as a kind of control group. As it wasn't TLR who created the metallic arts in the first place, it wouldn't make any sense for them NOT to have it in their sDNA.

It does kind of make me wonder how they survived during the Final Empire era.  TLR made those genetic changes so that humanity could live in the new conditions after he screwed up changed Scadrial's orbit to burn away the Deepness.  Those folks down south must have been resourceful.

It does kind of make me wonder how they survived during the Final Empire era.  TLR made those genetic changes so that humanity could live in the new conditions after he screwed up changed Scadrial's orbit to burn away the Deepness.  Those folks down south must have been resourceful.

Well, Skaa were made hardier to be able to endure the ashfalls etc, but humans on Earth have shown a remarkable adaptability when it comes to environment. One can only assume Scadian humans would show the same tenacity.

WoB: http://twg.17thshard.com/index.php?topic=6655.msg129388#msg129388

3.  No, they're not dead.  Yes, Rashek was aware of them.  In fact, he placed them there as a reserve.  I knew he wanted a 'control' group of people in case his changes to genetics ended with the race being in serious trouble.  All I'll say is that he found a way other than changing them genetically to help them survive in the world he created.  And since they were created by Ruin and Preservation, they have the seeds of the Three Metallic Arts in them--though without anyone among them having burned Larasium, Allomancers would have been very rare in their population and full Mistborn unheard of.

It seems it's the Lord Ruler who found a way to make the Southern people survive with no genetic modification.

It could be related to their technology-based use of the Metallic Arts which BS implies to be used even by people lacking the sDNA to use Metallic Arts as the Northern people would. http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=979#13

Nepene ()
You've said you want to write a book set in the southern continent. I did enjoy The Emperor's Soul a lot, so I am curious about you writing that future book. How do they use magic differently, and why should we be excited about reading a book set there?
Brandon Sanderson

The southern continent is where people have discovered how to harness the metallurgic arts in a more mechanical method. (I've hinted several places that this is possible. I've been holding off doing it until we go here.)

Nepene

Ooh, cool, ferugolems? Do you have any hints for us where we should look for these hints of how you can use it in a mechanical fashion? I haven't reread the Mistborn books in a while.

Brandon Sanderson

The hints are things I've said in interviews, not so much in the stories. (Sorry for not being clear about this.)

Chaos2651

About the southern continent, would it be possible for other Scadrians to discover this method of using the Metallic Arts, or is it unique to the southern Scadrians?

Brandon Sanderson

It is technology-based rather than genetics based.

• Chaos locked this topic