Third Shard on Scadrial Theory

July

This theory is trying to prove that there is a third shard (other than Ruin and Preservation) on Scadrial.

Important Information:

• Southern Scadrial has Metalic Arts, but they use them in a more mechanical way.
  • Feruchemy is the mix between the shards Ruin and Preservation.
  • Before the Lord Ruler's ascension feruchemy was genetically based and not mechanically based.  Allomancy was extremely rare and genetically based and not mechanically based.  Hemalurgy was used by some religions and not mechanically based.
  • The Lord Ruler split the population of Scadrial and made the Southern and Northern People.  The Southern People now have "mechanical metallic arts".

How is This Possible?

Answer One:  Preservation tweaked the system (possibly when he added the god metals)

This could be a possibility, but that would also mean that the Northern Peoples could learn to build something like what the Southern People have.  Over the centuries that followed Sazed's ascension nobody has found out about this mechanical metallic art.

Answer Two:  A Third Shard

I believe that there is another shard on Scadrial (when the shard came, I don't know). Feruchemy is not based on one shard, but on the mix of Ruin and Preservation.  I think this is what the mechanical arts are.  They are a mix of the shards Ruin, Preservation, and a third shard.  

Summary:

At some point, probably after the Lord Ruler's ascension, came another shard that brought "mechanical" investure.  Over the thousand years of the Lord Ruler's rain the shard blended its powers with the metallic arts, creating the Mechanical Metallic Arts.

The Shards Name: Innovation Shard

Pretty sure that would interrupt the power struggle between Ruin and Preservation, plus neither Sazed, TLR, Vin or Kelsier mentioned it from when they held Preservation.
Common speculation is that it has something to do with Hemalurgy.

Let's use your argument.

This could be a possibility, but that would also mean that the Northern Peoples could learn to build something like what the Southern People have.  Over the centuries that followed Sazed's ascension nobody has found out about this mechanical metallic art.

Okay. But, let's just say, hypothetically, that a 3rd Shard did exist, this innovation shard. Why would it's power be localized to the Southern Continent? The Sel Shards are the only ones we know about that do that. And, if it wasn't, then your argument is completely correct in asking why this mechanical art wasn't discovered in the Final Empire, or at the very least immediately after.

I think what Brandon meant by it being more mechanical was a different method of using the same magic system i.e. Machines specially designed to be operated by Steelpushing and Ironpulling.

Edited by TheYoungBard

Pretty sure that would interrupt the power struggle between Ruin and Preservation, plus neither Sazed, TLR, Vin or Kelsier mentioned it from when they held Preservation.

That depends on when the shard came to Scadrial.  If it came after TLR, Vin, and Kelsier ascended, then it would no have interrupted the power struggle between Ruin and Preservation.  Sazed probably knows about this other shard, but has not mentioned it yet (Yes, it does seem a little far fetched now).

Okay. But, let's just say, hypothetically, that a 3rd Shard did exist, this innovation shard. Why would it's power be localized to the Southern Continent? The Sel Shards are the only ones we know about that do that. And, if it wasn't, then your argument is completely correct in asking why this mechanical art wasn't discovered in the Final Empire, or at the very least immediately after.

The reasonable explanation would be that TLR was suppressing technological development within his domain, but his reach did not include the Southern Continent.  They had over a thousand years to experiment without interference; the Northern Scadrians have only had 300 years, and a lot of that time was spent rebuilding civilization from the ground up.  Innovation takes time; new discoveries take experimentation.

From these WoB I found in another thread it does not sound like a shard but technological advances from people in the south using metallic arts. 

NEPENE
You've said you want to write a book set in the southern continent. I did enjoy The Emperor's Soul a lot, so I am curious about you writing that future book. How do they use magic differently, and why should we be excited about reading a book set there?
BRANDON SANDERSON
The southern continent is where people have discovered how to harness the metallurgic arts in a more mechanical method. (I've hinted several places that this is possible. I've been holding off doing it until we go here.)

CHAOS2651
About the southern continent, would it be possible for other Scadrians to discover this method of using the Metallic Arts, or is it unique to the southern Scadrians?

BRANDON SANDERSON
It is technology-based rather than genetics based.

I also thought this was more related to Wax and Wayne's time as well as foreshadowing what will happen in the second and third trilogy. 

Blurb from Shadows of Self

Shadows of Self shows Mistborn’s society evolving as technology and magic mix, the economy grows, democracy contends with corruption, and religion becomes a growing cultural force, with four faiths competing for converts.

That depends on when the shard came to Scadrial.  If it came after TLR, Vin, and Kelsier ascended, then it would no have interrupted the power struggle between Ruin and Preservation.  Sazed probably knows about this other shard, but has not mentioned it yet (Yes, it does seem a little far fetched now).

Then how would the mechanical have developed and helped the people survive up until Vin and Kelsier?

Important Information:

• Southern Scadrial has Metalic Arts, but they use them in a more mechanical way.
  • Feruchemy is the mix between the shards Ruin and Preservation.
  • Before the Lord Ruler's ascension feruchemy was genetically based and not mechanically based.  Allomancy was extremely rare and genetically based and not mechanically based.  Hemalurgy was used by some religions and not mechanically based.
  • The Lord Ruler split the population of Scadrial and made the Southern and Northern People.  The Southern People now have "mechanical metallic arts".

Feruchemy is not mechanically based after the ascension. It is still genetically based. Why else would TLR have instituted the breeding program.

Feruchemy is not mechanically based after the ascension. It is still genetically based. Why else would TLR have instituted the breeding program.

Yes, but in Southern Scadrial they have mechanized metallic arts according to WoB

Nepene ()
You've said you want to write a book set in the southern continent. I did enjoy The Emperor's Soul a lot, so I am curious about you writing that future book. How do they use magic differently, and why should we be excited about reading a book set there?
Brandon Sanderson

The southern continent is where people have discovered how to harness the metallurgic arts in a more mechanical method. (I've hinted several places that this is possible. I've been holding off doing it until we go here.)

• Chaos locked this topic