I keep seeing this trailer for a show called "Powers" on YouTube. I'm sure that the show isn't remotely similar to Steelheart in its content, but every time I see this ad I'm consistently reminded of the Reckonerverse. Am I the only one who can forge the connection that unites the books and the Playstation trailer--the theme of normal humans rising as heroes in a world of demigods?

Edited by Kobold King

The premise sounds pretty similar, exploring what happens in a world with Supers that aren't heroic from the perspective of normals. Now I only just heard from this so my kowledge is limited to that trailer and the info page linked under it.

From what I could gaher there don't seem to be any Superheroes here either but I'm not sure if that's because the powers also have a corruptive tendency, they sacrifice that aspect to the premise, it simply didn't come up or because the series wants to play it with a "realistic edgey" turn of "real" people inherently growing corrupt with power. <_<

The other big difference I could spot is that those Powers (which is kind of an impractical name in my opinion) seem far weaker than the hights Epics such as Regalia and Steelheart or even Deathpoint and Conflux can achive, wich I suppose is also a neccesity given the crime investigation setting.

So bottom line the first idea seems similar but Powers doesn't seem to take it as far as the Reckonervers. Maybe because the directors liked the pitch better or maybe because they didn't want to do the worldbuilding connected with an Epic induced collaps of society. *shrugs shoulders*

That's about the conclusion I came to too--it doesn't really look like the sort of show I'd be interested in watching. Still though. If edgy deconstructions of superhero mythos become popular, maybe we can get a Reckoners film at some point. :ph34r:

Anyone can do an edgy deconstruction; precious few can do it right. I haven't watched the trailer yet, but from how Edge described it, it sounds like a somewhat typical Hollywood deconstruction--same thing as always, but with a twist that's been done before.

Sorry for the cynicism. I'm not feeling optimistic about the state of entertainment right now. :unsure:

Edited by TwiLyghtSansSparkles

Perhaps I should clarify my purpose in posting--this isn't so much a "look at this cool show we should all watch" post and more of a "hey, when you squint real hard at this ad on YouTube it almost looks like something that isn't 100% different from the Reckonerverse." :P

Though there is an interesting discussion to be had about a clever deconstruction like Steelheart versus a deconstruction that serves no other purpose than to scream 'LOOK AT ME I'M GRITTY.'

Edited by Kobold King

Having watched the trailer….

If you squint and sort of turn your head sideways, it looks a bit like the Reckonersverse, though with some of the dystopian elements toned down. A world where the metahumans have disrupted society, but not torn it down entirely. 

As for the quality….call me a cynic, but it looks like they're just going to hit all the same notes comic books have been hitting for the last 40 years. Learn from your mistakes instead of running from them. Powers don't make the hero. Do the good you can where you are. Remember what Uncle Ben said repeatedly.

And don't get me wrong: those are awesome messages. Everyone should hear them at least once. But when every major comic has preached those messages since the 1970s, it might be time to explore some new ground, philosophically speaking. 

• Chaos locked this topic