Slowswift

This may have already been pointed out, but I didn't see any topic to do with this, so here we go.

Some time ago I was perusing WoK for the umpteenth time, and I came across this quote in "Of Alds and Milp," one of the Kaladin flashback chapters:

"Some people -- like a festering finger or a leg shattered beyond repair -- just needed to be removed." -- The Way of Kings, p. 586

Sound familiar? In the Words of Radiance chapter "The One Who Killed Promises," the following is found:

"Some people -- like a festering finger or a leg shattered beyond repair -- just needed to be removed." -- Word of Radiance, p. 751

Sneaky, sneaky Brandon Sanderson. 

I don't get what it is that you are pointing it out. Yeah in WoK we see Kaladin's flashback of when Tien died and Kaladin hears that phrase from the officer who used him as bait, and then in WoR he remember those words when thinking about killing the king since they were very relevant to the situation. I don't get what's so special about it.

I don't get what it is that you are pointing it out. Yeah in WoK we see Kaladin's flashback of when Tien died and Kaladin hears that phrase from the officer who used him as bait, and then in WoR he remember those words when thinking about killing the king since they were very relevant to the situation. I don't get what's so special about it.

You didn't look at that part in The Way of Kings, did you? Then you would have seen that it's not at all about the scene with Tien. Its the last sentence of Chapter 41 (as Slowswift said).

Your mixing up two -- yet important -- phrases that Kaladin has imprinted in his head. What you mean is:

Gotta do what you can to stay alive, a voice from his past seemed to whisper. Turn a liability into an advantage….

The Way of Kings, Chapter 32

It comes up in other chapters, too, also in the chapter with Tien's death.

• Chaos locked this topic