Thoughts On Rosharian/nalthian/scadrian Magic Systems

Shard of Adonalsium

Innately, how much can a KR hold Investiture in it's Nalthian form (Breaths), if they are breathing normally? Would it act like Stormlight? Additionally, could Stormlight be used to fuel Nightblood or be condensed into a burnable Allomantic metal or Feruchemical metalmind? Would a Hemalurgic spike constructed of a type of solidified, condensed, Stormlight metal be able to steal a certain type of element? Is it possible to construct a sword with a blade of pure Stormlight, like a lightsaber? 

Innately, how much can a KR hold Investiture in it's Nalthian form (Breaths), if they are breathing normally? Would it act like Stormlight? Additionally, could Stormlight be used to fuel Nightblood or be condensed into a burnable Allomantic metal or Feruchemical metalmind? Would a Hemalurgic spike constructed of a type of solidified, condensed, Stormlight metal be able to steal a certain type of element? Is it possible to construct a sword with a blade of pure Stormlight, like a lightsaber? 

Assuming they were given the ability to be an Awakener then infinite breaths I would assume. It could potentially be made to act like Stormlight, since the reverse is possible.

Yes Stormlight can be used to fuel Nightblood, we actually have direct WoB on that one. Have you finished Words of Radiance?

Condensing it into a burnable metal might be possible but I doubt that an Allomancer could burn it without doing certain tricks. Hemalurgy would probably be possible.

Something to remember,the metals themselves are not investiture, when burned their exact molecular structure signals what kind of power preservation sends. So the stormlight wouldn't exactly need to be made into a metal, although i'm not sure what would allow an allomancer to use Rosharian investiture.

Edited by Redbird3000

Something to remember,the metals themselves are not investiture, when burned their exact molecular structure signals what kind of power preservation sends. So the stormlight wouldn't exactly need to be made into a metal, although i'm not sure what would allow an allomancer to use Rosharian investiture.

I was considering like you know how Lerasium is pure condensed Preservation, whilst Atium is the body of Ruin? I was thinking like another God Metal, or Tanaluminum or something. 

Assuming they were given the ability to be an Awakener then infinite breaths I would assume. It could potentially be made to act like Stormlight, since the reverse is possible.

Yes Stormlight can be used to fuel Nightblood, we actually have direct WoB on that one. Have you finished Words of Radiance?

Condensing it into a burnable metal might be possible but I doubt that an Allomancer could burn it without doing certain tricks. Hemalurgy would probably be possible.

Yes, I've finished WoR. I actually haven't fully read all the WoBs though. :P

Besides, that last scene in WoR only depicted Szeth taking the sheathed Nightblood, it doesn't say anything about Szeth using Stormlight in lieu of BioChromatic Breaths. Can you link me to the WoB?

One possibility, and I don't have the WoB handy, but Brandon did say that the Mists on Scadrial and Stormlight are related in some ways. Vin was able to use the mists to power her Allomancy, so I would imagine that Stormlight could possibly do the same thing.

What, Stormlight would amplify her Allomancy to Lerasium-Mistborn power? Or even Preservation-fueled Allomancy?

What, Stormlight would amplify her Allomancy to Lerasium-Mistborn power? Or even Preservation-fueled Allomancy?

I think lord_mistborn4 meant that Stormlight could be used for any metal. Allomantic strength is, I think, sDNA-dependent. However, Scadrial is apparently rather Investiture-poor. Stormlight is concentrated Investiture, designed to fuel incredible feats. It's plausible that it would give her massive reserves, which could be flared to provide enhanced Allomantic strength.

I think lord_mistborn4 meant that Stormlight could be used for any metal. Allomantic strength is, I think, sDNA-dependent. However, Scadrial is apparently rather Investiture-poor. Stormlight is concentrated Investiture, designed to fuel incredible feats. It's plausible that it would give her massive reserves, which could be flared to provide enhanced Allomantic strength.

Oh. Hmm...including Atium? That gives me an idea for another theory. ;)

Oh. Hmm...including Atium? That gives me an idea for another theory. ;)

Not sure if it can reproduce god metal really. . . the mists can cause ascension, which would also presumably be what happens in lerasium overdose, but being Preservation it made sense. I reckon stormlight would grant an previously unknown power, like bonded Seons apparently would on Roshar.

• 3 weeks later...

Allomantic strength is, I think, sDNA-dependent. However, Scadrial is apparently rather Investiture-poor. Stormlight is concentrated Investiture, designed to fuel incredible feats. It's plausible that it would give her massive reserves, which could be flared to provide enhanced Allomantic strength.

Incidentally, Allomantic power from metals can only be flared so high, unlike Feruchemy which is limited only by the stores you have. Using the mists to power Allomancy can have strange consequences: specifically becoming a Splinter (? check term)

Incidentally, Allomantic power from metals can only be flared so high, unlike Feruchemy which is limited only by the stores you have. Using the mists to power Allomancy can have strange consequences: specifically becoming a Splinter (? check term)

Well eventually you'd Ascend and become a Shard but before then yes you'd be a Splinter I believe.

If Mists can turn someone into a Sliver wouldn't Breath as well? How many Breaths would it take? 

A lot of Breath. More than we've seen as of yet. Remember that Susebron was at the Tenth Heightening, so he had at least 50,000 Breaths, but there's never a mention of him being a Sliver, in WoB or otherwise. So it's presumably way more than we've seen.

A lot of Breath. More than we've seen as of yet. Remember that Susebron was at the Tenth Heightening, so he had at least 50,000 Breaths, but there's never a mention of him being a Sliver, in WoB or otherwise. So it's presumably way more than we've seen.

I'm pretty sure he'd at least be close, I don't recall Brandon answering about him one way or another so it's definitely possible that he could be considered a Sliver.

so it's definitely possible that he could be considered a Sliver.

I disagree, but only because when discussing Slivers Brandon has never mentioned Susebron. He always brings up Kelsier and Vin. Slivers are individuals that have held the power of a Shard but then lost it or gave it up, correct? I don't think Susebron quite fits that description. He'd first need enough Breath to ascend, and then descend for whatever reason.

Certainly after the Well, but I don't know if she really used the mists enough to technically become a Splinter when she fought TLR.

People have taken in stormlight of even greater quantities and stayed normal, so probably nowhere close I guess.

The analogy that I've heard is that, in terms of Investiture, normal people are sparks, Splinters are bonfires, and Shards are stars. Slivers are really determined by how much Investiture that they held at one point. 

I disagree, but only because when discussing Slivers Brandon has never mentioned Susebron. He always brings up Kelsier and Vin. Slivers are individuals that have held the power of a Shard but then lost it or gave it up, correct? I don't think Susebron quite fits that description. He'd first need enough Breath to ascend, and then descend for whatever reason.

This isn't exactly true. Slivers are people that hold a large amount of investiture, so Susebron is likely to be a splinter.

Also, Brandon basically says that all Returned are Splinters, or at least their Divine Breath is.

http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=680#13

Edited by WindrunnerRadiant

This isn't exactly true. Slivers are people that hold a large amount of investiture, so Susebron is likely to be a splinter.

Also, Brandon basically says that all Returned are Splinters, or at least their Divine Breath is.

http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=680#13

Splinters I agree, but we're talking Slivers. There is no doubt that Susey is a Splinter, for sure, with him being Returned. But I just don't think he fits the bill for Sliver. Brandon defined it at some point as having held the power of a Shard. No one in Warbreaker (except maybe Hoid, depending on his unknown past), fits that.

• Chaos locked this topic