On page 2 of this topic, a Sharder (didn't look at the name) tried linking the Orders of Knight Radiant to MBTI profiles. The Skybreakers were linked to INFJ, my own type. 

INFJs are more idealistic, more inclined toward believing the best of people, than Skybreakers are. The NF lets us see past the surface and see the "diamond in the rough," the carefree girl who means no serious harm inside of the thief who breaks into rich people's houses and steal their food. I don't mean to pick a fight, but INFJs are more teacher than police officer.

Anyway, I believe that the title of the topic is Cosmere MBTI, not SA MBTI. So, here's some other books, done by an arbitrary test conducted by me. I mean no offense to anyone who is of the same type as one of the following villains. If it makes you feel better, I'm pretty sure Stalin was an INFJ.

Kelsier—ESFP

Vin—ISFP

Sazed—INFJ

Ham—ENFP

Straff Venture—ESTJ

Susebrone—ESFJ

Lightsong—ENFP

Siri—ISFP 

Blushweaver—ESFJ 

Raoden—ENFJ

Sarene—INFJ

Khriss—INTJ

Demoux—ENFJ

Hrathen—INTJ

4 hours ago, Stormgate said:

On page 2 of this topic, a Sharder (didn't look at the name) tried linking the Orders of Knight Radiant to MBTI profiles. The Skybreakers were linked to INFJ, my own type. 

Kelsier—ESFP

I've tried Knights Radiant MBTI in my mind and the most you could assign to each Order is one or two letters. There's lots of space for personality. I'm an INTP Windrunner. (The Stormfather is a bit confused about it.)

I put Kelsier as an ENTJ. Although he arrives late to places, his planning is superb. Plus, xxxJ would have it easier becoming the greatest crew leader.

Edited by Eccentric Hero

I feel like Kelsier is actually an ESTP. Good MBTI typing usually has three levels, and I try to make sure that the person fits into each of the three before I am satisfied with their type.

First is figuring out whether they are an SJ, SP, NF or NT.

Second is justifying each of the four parts, I/E, S/N, T/F. P/J

Finally, third is making sure that they work as the type. Sometimes it will seem like someone is, for example, an I, an N, an F and a P, but then when you think of them as an INFP it doesn't click.

If ANY of the three don't click, I usually start over and try to figure out where I'm going wrong. I will try to justify Kelsier in all three of these ways.

I will first justify him as an SP, and then parse out each aspect of him, then finally justify him to the whole type in general.

First! SP:

Kelsier always lets people THINK that his planning is superb, but it actually is not all that superb. Instead, he is just good - not good, amazingly, practically godlike - at improvising. He thinks on his feet INCREDIBLY well, which is something that no Js really do. An NT is a spider in the middle of an incredibly intricate web of people and ideas and secrets that they tug at, strand by strand, tiny bit by tiny bit, until everything falls into place just so. NTJs plan their every move, sometimes for years ahead, and plan for every possible eventuality that they can think of NTPs make their web as varied and massive as possible so that anytime they need something, they are only a tug or two away from getting whatever it is they need to have happen. Kelsier imagines that he is like this - secrets within secrets, etc, that is the mythos that he tries (and really somewhat succeeds) at cultivating, but his secrets are not actually that deep or complex, and his plans change with the wind; everytime he gets new information he adjusts everything to take that new information into account. This is because he is an SP, and incredibly good at improvising and reacting to things in the moment, on the spot. Many of these tendencies are similar to other noted SP leaders like Stonewall Jackson.

So, here we go for part two, breakdown of each aspect:

E - Kel is energized by people. He basks in their admiration. He loves attention both from giant crowds and from spending time in the company of his close-knit group of friends. The fewer people that are around, the quieter and sadder he gets. He needs alone time once in a while - every person does, Extraverts included - but he doesn't recharge his energy by being alone. He gets his energy from being in a crowd.

S - Kel is big about observation and sensory input. This is particularly evident in his analysis of the logbook, especially when you compare it to Sazed, the strongest N we hear from regarding the manuscript. He relies VERY heavily on his senses to give him the information he needs about the world, and he is far more concerned with the way things ARE than what they MIGHT be. He has a vision for how the world ought to be, but it isn't his vision, it's Mare's. His job, as he sees it, isn't to figure out how the world should be. Someone else told him, and now he just has to figure out how to make it that, or as close as possible.

T - With Ts, especially in fiction (or in a person you are in a very close friendship with), it is always important to remember a valuable axiom - "Every T is a closet F." The reason this gets hairy in fiction, or with people you are very close to, is that we see those people at their most vulnerable, they reveal their closeted emotions to us. We see his passion for Mare, his fatherly affection for Vin, his deep sadness at his troubled relationship with Marsh - but he doesn't show those things to most of the people around him. Ts feel every bit as strongly as Fs, they simply prioritize thinking ahead of feeling, so that their actions tend to reflect the things they think rather than the things that they feel. Kel's actions are generally informed by thought rather than feeling. The only time we see him REALLY make a decision based entirely off of emotion is when he is about to attack the entire Imperial Guard after they slaughter the rebel skaa army, and at that point he is unbelievably exhausted. Those are exactly the times that Ts are likely to let their closeted Fs out - at that point of exhaustion, almost no T would be able to act based on thought rather than feeling.

P - Here is where that improvisation thing comes into play. Kel is a master of dealing with issues as they spring up all around him. He is able to make decisions based of a whim, without any real deliberation at all (really more unique to SPs, even NxPs deliberate a little before acting), and act on them with zero hesitation. When he caught wind of the rebel skaa disaster, how long did it take him to leave, to literally run all the way there? Like ten seconds. From his own POVs we often saw him sort of meandering without much of a plan - sometimes a general sort of outline, but often just a vague "I'm going to cause some mischief when I find the opportunity."

Finally, part three, the ESTP whole picture:

ESTPs are your stereotypical rock stars, sports stars - they were the coolest of the cool kids in high school. Not the valedictorian, the person that the valedictorian WANTED to be. People flock around them and fawn over them and they just love every minute of it. Most everything technical-skill related seems to come with them with ease, and the stuff they can't figure out they usually either get a free pass on, or they have someone who's willing to just do it for them.

Sounds like Kel to me.

So there you have it, my considered opinion on why I type Kelsier as an ESTP. Eventually I hope I can do these detail character breakdowns for a lot of characters. I have some done that just need to be cleaned up and typed up. especially for pre-catacendre Scadrial, like Vin - ISTP, Sazed - ENFJ, Breeze - ENFP, Marsh - ISTJ.... I hope I'll get the chance to post them fairly soon. Hope this was an enjoyable (and perhaps enlightening) read.

Edited by AndrewStirlingMacDonald
formatting

Andrew this was a very good post. I especially love the tip bit about T being closeted F and having their F-function take over, when they are too close to the brink despite it not being their favored reactionary pattern. You got me wondering, if T can be closeted F, then can F be closeted T? It doesn't seem to work the opposite way... I have a hard time imagining how it may work, but I the reverse phenomenon would be a strong F who decides to ignore his emotions... Is that even possible?

Your analysis of Kelsier was spot on, I think.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I’m late to the party on this one. 

Dalinar: Not an E and potentially not a J. He does come across as an ISTJ but at the same time he has internal monologue in OB referencing the fact that Navani’s “clock” if you will helped him get to meetings on time for the first time in his life—that’s not very istjish. 

Shallan: Absolutely not a INFJ. She is 100% isfp or infp—i’d Lean 90% sure she’s infp. She gets sidetracked way to easily. She gets lost in her day dreams, art, and fantasies. She’s caring and has a deep sense of being broken or different than everyone else. 

Navani: ES or EN FJ: She brings the best out of everyone else and is a diplomat. 

Adolin: ESFJ for sure. 

Kaladin: 100% INFJ. He’s a protector—he bears the weight of the world on his shoulders; he’s caring but extremely serious. He’s definitely Ni in terms of cognitive function. 

• Chaos locked this topic