Why does everyone get so excited about potential Sanderson movies?

Every time I read Harry Potter, I picture the characters, which annoys me, since many of the characters look completely different than the actors.

Really? Except for Hermione in the later movies, Luna, and some of the minor characters, I actually pictured all the characters almost exactly like their movie counterparts, and I was reading them as they released. It was a rather pleasant surprise, and I'm sure it will never happen again, unfortunately...

Really? Except for Hermione in the later movies, Luna, and some of the minor characters, I actually pictured all the characters almost exactly like their movie counterparts, and I was reading them as they released. It was a rather pleasant surprise, and I'm sure it will never happen again, unfortunately...

What I didn't like was Ron, Fred and George. 

Ron was supposed to be very tall and lanky, and the actor really wasn't.

Fred and George were supposed to be short and stout, but the actors weren't.

However, I do agree that some of the actors, such as the first Dumbledore, were very well cast.

A thought comes to me that with the mechanics of Mistborn it's nearly impossible to make explosions. Closest Cosmere thing to explosions that comes to mind is the odd Aon fireball going off, and Stormlight/Warbreaker have enough visible investiture effects and destroying of evil (heh) to look flashy, but allomancy is visually rather subdued. At most they can help people follow the fights by animating slightly visible effects for the steel and iron lines.

With that said, everyone would want a Sanderson movie done right and suitably epic (no pun intended). I hadn't read the Lord of the Rings before watching the movies but they were beautiful.

What I didn't like was Ron, Fred and George. 

Ron was supposed to be very tall and lanky, and the actor really wasn't.

Fred and George were supposed to be short and stout, but the actors weren't.

However, I do agree that some of the actors, such as the first Dumbledore, were very well cast.

What do you mean the first Dumbledore? There was only one Dumbledore. Too bad they stopped making the movies after the second one.

To be fair, with child actors it's hard to know how they'll grow in future movies, so either they'd have to recast main characters all the time or just take their chances.

I do not want WoT or SA to be made into movies or a TV series. They are just too big. I always felt that both Warbreaker and Mistborn would make fantastic movies. As I read them I thought the visuality of Warbreaker would be awesome to see depicted on film. I even imagined the trailer being a little straw man getting the keys in the opening scene. Mistborn I imagined would resemble a sort of martial arts movie with a LOT of wire work. The Reckoners seem like they were written so that they could easily be transferred to film. And lets face it, Elantris would be a half zombie/half magic, film.

The difficulty in mistborn is all the internalized magic that a viewer would not be able to see, just like in WoT. In the books Nynaeve is in a fight of her life with a forsaken. In the movie two women are having a mean stare-down in a hallway. The only right way to do WoT on film is to not do it technically, however, I would pay handsomely for a movie depicting the War of Power in the Age of Legends. With the ending being on dragonmount. No, not that piece of dung that was just released.

I think that there are enjoyable books out there that have been made into movies successfully. You don't want the movie to replace the book, but to enhance the book. With the right casting, proper visual effects, and good screenwriting, a movie depiction can introduce you to a book or author that you did not want to get invested in before. To the me as a fan it can give another perspective on the book I have read, opening up myself to another persons interpretation. LotR was popular among fantasy fans, but how many having watched the trilogy went out and bought the books, and started reading more fantasy for the first time? 

My sister and brother in-law started reading ASoIaF after watching 2 seasons on HBO. I would never have been able to get them into Codex of Alera, and then Warbreaker, Elantris being next on her list, if it wasn't for that introduction and really a bridge.

• Chaos locked this topic