Mistbarb Pie

dhalagirl

Last month some friends and I had dinner with Dan Wells after his signing at Powell's in Portland. (Don't panic. This isn't in the wrong section) PDXTrent requested one of my homemade pies, specifically, Rhubarb pie. Since he was going to be at the signing and dinner, I brought it with me and we shared it with the group. While we were enjoying the delicious pie, the conversation ended up on the topic of synesthesia. It so happens that a member of the assembled group has synesthesia. Dan, having an understanding of the disorder, asked this person "What does Mistborn taste like?" Their answer, oddly enough, was that Mistborn tastes like my Rhubarb pie.

Because of that, Dan named the pie: Mistbarb pie. Here's the recipe for the filling. I'm not including my crust recipe because it takes years to master. (Seriously, it does.)

MISTBARB PIE

4-5 C chopped rhubarb

1 1/3 C Sugar

6 TB all-purpose flour

1 TB butter (optional)

2 TB Cinnamon (approximately)

A pinch of Cardamom

2 pie crusts (store bought or homemade)

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees fahrenheit. Put one of the pie crusts in a 9 in. pie plate. Wash, trim, and cut the rhubarb into bite-size pieces. Combine sugar, cinnamon, and cardamom in a small bowl. Sprinkle about 1/3 of the sugar mixture in the bottom of the prepared pie crust. Place the rhubarb in the crust and top with the rest of the sugar mixture. Place the second crust on top and seal well. Cut a couple of vent holes in the center of the pie. Place the pie on the lowest oven rack and bake for 15 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees fahrenheit and bake for another 45 minutes.

*Be sure to place a baking sheet or aluminum foil under the pie plate. The pie will bubble over*

It's not a disorder, that implies its disruptive.

On the other hand, Mistborn is Orange and Grey in color as according to my synesthesia.(music/concept to a shifting color pattern thing.)

Thought you outta know since the topic came up.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the clarification. I didn't want to call it an illness (it didn't feel right) so I sided on disorder.

My friend says that to her Mistborn is a bit more blue and grey and still tasting very much of rhubarb. If I was a rich genius I'd do a study as to why the colors are slightly different, but since I'm neither it'll have to remain a mystery.

Edited by dhalagirl

Like Carl Sagan said, there are something like a hundred trillion neural connections. You'd need *a lot* of money to map them out and figure out why signal A gets interpreted differently from person to person. (And once you did, you'd solve all communication problems ever. I think it would be worth it.) Also, can't wait to try the pie!

Synestesia is different for every person that has it. I personally think genetics play a part. My grandmother and I have very similar synestesia. Its fun seeing how much she enjoys all the colors my symphonic metal throws together. But I can see Mistborn being Grey and Blue if you found the mightiness scenes to be of greater import too. Who knows.

• Chaos locked this topic