The Great Reread - The Eye of the World

Shivertongue

THIS THREAD WILL MOST LIKELY CONTAIN SPOILERS.

Discussion thread for the Great Reread, pertaining to book 1, The Eye of the World. This is the book you should be starting with. Anyone starting with New Spring, if this is your first readthrough, put that book down and pick up The Eye of the World. Trust me, it's better this way.

For those who have read them all, and are starting with New Spring for the reread, please go here. Keep in mind that New Spring is optional.

For information and to join The Great Reread, please go here.

So I have begun my reread, setting aside my reread of The Way of Kings to do so. I started The Eye of the World at approximately 5am, reading through the prologue and several pages of the first chapter before I went to sleep.

It's funny - I remember when I read this book for the very first time, the beginning seemed so slow, all the way up until they arrived in Caemlyn. Now, though, and just about every other reread I have ever done of it, it is much more engaging. I don't know if this is a result of me growing older and more mature in my tastes, or a subconscious acknowledgment that, despite where the characters are in later books and what I know happens to them, they start off in such a simple, innocent place, where their biggest concerns are who they're going to dance with at Bel Tine, and if the sheep are safe for the night, and crazy little stunt is Mat going to pull next.

Although admittedly, that last one remains throughout the entire series. :P

I began my re-read as well, and the first thing that jumped out at me was a line in the prologue.

The mind twisting had struck at the core, ignoring peripheral things

I must be paying much more attention this time around, because I hadn't before noticed this line, and now I'm thinking about it, and wondering what it means? Is he in the world of dreams, and the palace is being twisted by a mind?

I agree with shiv about simple innocence of the early book, I keep reading it and lamenting the innocence lost, and I remember just why these books are so long, that change from super innocent to hard as iron takes a great deal of time, and is done step by step and in a very believable way.

I began my re-read as well, and the first thing that jumped out at me was a line in the prologue.

I must be paying much more attention this time around, because I hadn't before noticed this line, and now I'm thinking about it, and wondering what it means? Is he in the world of dreams, and the palace is being twisted by a mind?

I agree with shiv about simple innocence of the early book, I keep reading it and lamenting the innocence lost, and I remember just why these books are so long, that change from super innocent to hard as iron takes a great deal of time, and is done step by step and in a very believable way.

You know, it's really funny you mention that line, because that one in particular stuck out to me as well, and I don't remember ever noticing it before. It might be because, this time around, I'm taking my time and trying to absorb every word.

Edit: Something I never noticed before, at least not that I can remember. On page 40 of the hardback, during Thom's first scene, he mentions "Fain was always one to carry bad news quickly, and the worse, the faster. There's more raven in him than man." It seems Thom has known Padan Fain in the past, enough to know his reputation at least. Subtle foreshadowing, I think, about Fain's true nature...

So I have begun my reread, setting aside my reread of The Way of Kings to do so. I started The Eye of the World at approximately 5am, reading through the prologue and several pages of the first chapter before I went to sleep.

It's funny - I remember when I read this book for the very first time, the beginning seemed so slow, all the way up until they arrived in Caemlyn. Now, though, and just about every other reread I have ever done of it, it is much more engaging. I don't know if this is a result of me growing older and more mature in my tastes, or a subconscious acknowledgment that, despite where the characters are in later books and what I know happens to them, they start off in such a simple, innocent place, where their biggest concerns are who they're going to dance with at Bel Tine, and if the sheep are safe for the night, and crazy little stunt is Mat going to pull next.

Although admittedly, that last one remains throughout the entire series. :P

This is just my first reread and I agree with you totally.

I have begun!

BTW, I think the "mind twisting" line refers to the madness causing him to kill his family but leave his palace intact.

Edit: Just finished!

Edited by ReaderAt2046

So I'm around chapter 35 of Eye of the World, and I finally went back and pulled out two quotes that had always nagged at me.

A farmer had given it to him, a long-faced man with grooves in his cheeks from worry."I don't know what you're running from," he had said with an anxious frown, "and I don't want to. You understand? My family." Abruptly the farmer had dug two long scarves out of his coat pocket and pushed the tangle of wool at them. "It's not much, but here. Belong to my boys. They have others. You don't know me, understand? It's hard times."

That was from chapter 31, and from chapter 33

"If I was a good man," Mull said, "I'd offer a couple of lads soaked to the skin a place to dry out and get warm in front of my fire. But it's 'hard times, and strangers... I don't know what you're running from, and I don't want to. You understand? My family." Suddenly he pulled two long, woolen scarves, dark and thick, out of his coat pocket. "It's not much, but here. Belong to my boys. They have others. You don't know me, understand? It's hard times."

So I'm sure this has been analyzed to death elsewhere, but is this just meant to be a connection between the two farmers with carts? I thought at first it was intended as such, but since the words are repeated almost verbatim it could just as easily have been an oversight on Jordan's part.

My new thought is that this is possibly the first evidence of Ta'Veren tugging on the pattern, causing this same event to occur twice.

Also, I'm reminded as I read through this all of the things that we consider trope done masterfully. Spending time in taverns doesn't feel bad because it is justified by the story, whereas other places it would seem very cliché. I wonder though, if rand used the power to help Bela early, why is his first illness/reaction after he called lightning down in Four Kings? Was there a minor illness that happened before and I missed it? Or was the onset time such that the sickness from healing Bela only struck him after he had acted a second time?

Edited by JamesW

I believe the first sickness was his headache in Baerlon. I didn't actually go back and count the days, but I was pretty sure that I remembered it saying a week or a week and a half or so (it was a month or two ago that I read it, so I don't know exactly what I believed). It says somewhere that the first time the sickness is ten or so days after, then it gets closer and closer until it happens almost concurrently with your channeling,

which is what happens after Rand fights Ba'alzamon at the end.

I'm pretty sure I decided that the book showed us the farmer giving the scarves, then went back in the past and showed what led up to the farmer giving the scarves, then showed us the farmer giving the scarves again. It seems like It started out talking about the past and then suddenly we were in the past without even changing sentences.

Edited by Shivertongue
Fixed the spoiler tag.

So I just finished Eye this morning, and I have to say, I forgot how well done the book was. It was certainly a great setup for the rest of the series, but was also self contained enough to be a great first novel. Knowing where these characters are going to end up might make it a whole lot better then it was the first go round

I think seeing some of the characters this early, who we know turn out to be black Ajah, that is a new form of suspense. Seeing someone like Verin, an remembering just how many times later in the series she is right next to one of the characters we care a great deal about is quite insane. I love seeing the hints of Rand worrying about his madness early, and just what level he'll be going mad as the series progresses.

I wonder how Moraine was able to find the boys even after they lose their coins. I don't recall that ability arising later on in the series. There were probably others but I don't remember them off the top of my head, anyone else notice this?

So I just finished Eye this morning, and I have to say, I forgot how well done the book was. It was certainly a great setup for the rest of the series, but was also self contained enough to be a great first novel. Knowing where these characters are going to end up might make it a whole lot better then it was the first go round

I think seeing some of the characters this early, who we know turn out to be black Ajah, that is a new form of suspense. Seeing someone like Verin, an remembering just how many times later in the series she is right next to one of the characters we care a great deal about is quite insane. I love seeing the hints of Rand worrying about his madness early, and just what level he'll be going mad as the series progresses.

I wonder how Moraine was able to find the boys even after they lose their coins. I don't recall that ability arising later on in the series. There were probably others but I don't remember them off the top of my head, anyone else notice this?

I agree that knowing the Black sisters ahead of time adds a different dimension to the story. Whereas before you were always wondering and worrying who might be Black, on a reread you can *see* the Black sisters doing their thing. Verin, on the other hand, is a special case, since she's a double agent, so I didn't worry too awful much about her.

As for how Moiraine found the boys, recall that she said that she would be able to find them even if they lost the coins, just not at a distance like she could if they held on to them. Remember that, in order to find them, she zigzagged through the streets of Caemlyn until she got close enough to feel them.

I agree that knowing the Black sisters ahead of time adds a different dimension to the story. Whereas before you were always wondering and worrying who might be Black, on a reread you can *see* the Black sisters doing their thing. Verin, on the other hand, is a special case, since she's a double agent, so I didn't worry too awful much about her.

As for how Moiraine found the boys, recall that she said that she would be able to find them even if they lost the coins, just not at a distance like she could if they held on to them. Remember that, in order to find them, she zigzagged through the streets of Caemlyn until she got close enough to feel them.

I don't understand how she was able to "feel" them. Unless there is some lingering connection left from the coins?

I've only made it to chapter 10, but what struck me so far was just how young Rand, Mat, and Perrin are at the outset. Yes, going into a reread we know where they will end up, and they do fit some of the standard archetypes in the setup of their characters, but man, they are young. I compare Rand walking with Tam to the village the first time to

Super Sayan Jesus Rand walking into the White Tower in one of the most recent books (can't remember which.)

Another thing is that by the end of the series, Trollocs just seem like cockroaches to me since our players are so much more powerful. They were downright scary/intimidating in their initial appearance in EotW.

I finished EotW last night - One thing that I found interesting was that Min had a viewing that matched up with one of the prophecies(?) that Mat got from the Aelfinn:

Min saw an eye on a balance scale when looking at Mat, which lines up with the Aelfinn telling him that he would need "To give up half the light of the world to save the world" - I'm wondering if that means that he'll lose an eye in AMOL?

I finished EotW last night - One thing that I found interesting was that Min had a viewing that matched up with one of the prophecies(?) that Mat got from the Aelfinn:

Min saw an eye on a balance scale when looking at Mat, which lines up with the Aelfinn telling him that he would need "To give up half the light of the world to save the world" - I'm wondering if that means that he'll lose an eye in AMOL?

Ummmm... have you read ToM?

Ummmm... have you read ToM?

I read it when it came out... although I don't remember much of it... I fully expect that there's a lot of things that have happened that I should remember that I don't... I suppose I'll probably be surprised when I read it again :P

I don't understand how she was able to "feel" them. Unless there is some lingering connection left from the coins?

She could have enchanted the coins, but my best guess would be because they're ta'veren. Moiraine is a pretty prominent character; the Wheel might want have wanted her to find the boys on each occassion.

She explains it in the text. Rand and Mat spend their coins before they have developed a strong connection. She actually states that Perrin kept his coin long enough for her to find him even if he did not have the coin.

Well, she could tell generally where he was, but Bornhald returned Perrin's coin to him, allowing her to pinpoint his exact location.

ToM-spoiler in this post.

Almost done with the book, they are going to leave for the Blight.

People often have talked about Robert Jordan and his foreshadowing. Min's viewing of course is a nice example for that, but what caught me this time is the passage where the party is talking about the Waygate in Caemlyn and how it would have been desastrous if the Fades had already known the Waygate at that time, because they would have brought their Trollocs into Caemlyn by Waygate instead of just surrounding the city.

And that's exactly what happens in the epilogue of ToM. Caemlyn is attacked and the Trollocs brought in by Waygate.

No way that's coincidence ;)

Just finished it. TGH already waiting beside my bed.

One thing about the climax. I never really understood in what exactly Rand & Co had struck their mighty blow to the dark faction.

I mean, we see the results, spring is coming back, the Blight is quiet.

But why?

Rand destroyed the shadowspawn-army at Tarwin's Gap, but that shouldn't have any result on the weather.

Aside from that, he mainly defeated Ishi on whatever plain of existence. I suppose it's TAR but it's difficult to say. Rand cut the black string that nursed Ishi. What did he do doing that? It's similar to Rand cutting Asmodean's connection to the Dark One, but Ishi does not seem to have lost his connection in TGH or TDR.

Could be that Ishi was the Dark One's main tool to touch the world and the string was the evilness the Dark One put into Ishi

Please help me out.