Horn of Valere

Cracknut

Just read the chapter where Mat summons Heroes with Horn of Valere. I thought they would be bound to one who sounded the Horn but they came to Rand and Balzamon told Rand that he sounded Horn. I'm really disappointed at this point because I really liked idea of Mat having all the coolest heroes bound to him... Could anyone explain how Horn works? or its just the way author wants.... sry for my bad English.

p.s I never posted here because I'm really bad with English(Reading I can handle but Grammar is a mishterioush thing for me when trying to say something)... though I'm a big fan of Brandon Sanderson and I think i have read every topic about his books here so I'm not really new here :)

Basically, since Mat sounded the Horn, as long as he lives, only he will be able to sound it. To anyone else now, it's nothing more than a horn. In that sense, the Heroes bound to it are bound to Mat as he is the only one who can summon them.

I agree with above. Also, don't forget that Hawkwing came to Rand because he recognized him as Kinslayer, and he had been through the cycle several times. Also, they didn't fight until they had the Dragon banner out. Balzamon was just wrong. He wasn't there and just assumed that it was Rand that tooted.

Also, does it really feel like the Horn and the Eye were kind of forgotten by RJ? One more to go, but I just get the feeling like there was too much power creep or that it was some early installment wierdness*.

*I did not link to you-know-where, and cannot be held responsible time invested there because of your googling.

That would be the logical assumption, but doesn't Siuan specifically counter it in the text? At one point, one of the major AS specifically states that the only real link between the DR and the horn has to do with the horn being blown at the last battle. Currently doing my reread in preparation, and that may change later, but through DR, that is the way it is standing.

Also, the eye was pretty much destroyed when the Greenman fell. Rand channeling used up the pool, which by the way is eerily like the shardpools in Sanderson's work.

That would be the logical assumption, but doesn't Siuan specifically counter it in the text? At one point, one of the major AS specifically states that the only real link between the DR and the horn has to do with the horn being blown at the last battle. Currently doing my reread in preparation, and that may change later, but through DR, that is the way it is standing.

Also, the eye was pretty much destroyed when the Greenman fell. Rand channeling used up the pool, which by the way is eerily like the shardpools in Sanderson's work.

I get that, I just feel like it falls under early installment wierdness.

Also, was the whole Mat died(twice, once balefire redacted, once brought back because the DR and most powerful tavern ever really, really did not want his friend to die), and is now severed from the horn thing theory ever been countered?

• 4 months later...

Baalzamon (e.g. Ishamael) just got the identity of the Hornsounder wrong. That was a major plot point. It was also an early pointer at Baalzamon's true identity.

As for the DR being present...well, there are a few mysteries around the horn, still. Since I suspect they are relevant for the last battle, I will gladly wait to know more!

We've been told in the books that the heroes of the horn will figth for whoever sounded it, but I wonder if it is real. As far as we know, no one ever sounded it in the age of legends, so maybe they didn't really knew the details of it.

Mat blew the Horn, dead heroes returned. Coincidence? We don't know if it was sounded in the Age of Legends or not but that makes it no less real since its effects are clear.

Mat blew the Horn, dead heroes returned. Coincidence? We don't know if it was sounded in the Age of Legends or not but that makes it no less real since its effects are clear.

dead heroes returned, yes. however, they did not went to mat to fight for him. they went to rand, and they asked him to pull out the banner. Also, they didn't engage the seanchan in a normal way. their fight was directly linked to the one between rand and ishamael in the sky. when rand advanced, they advanced, and when he retreated, they retreated. If the heroes were just fighting regularly their battle would have been independent from rand's. So to me it's pretty clear the horn is linked somehow to the dragon and the heroes will not simply come and fight.

As for the horn never being sounded before, here what says the wot encyclopaedia

Tor Website Q&A � The Horn of Valere was known during the Age of Legends. It was an artifact from an earlier Age. It was never used, partly because the Third Age was mostly peaceful and partly because its power was considered a myth. It was lost and thought destroyed during the violence that preceded the War of Power. After its recovery, it was included with the Dragon Banner and the Eye of the World because the Foretellings that made up the Prophecies of the Dragon said it must be so.