Mapping the Cosmere

Geekritique

Also Roshar is far from barren, it is full of life, it just isn't Earth-like, so I'd still expect it to be fairly green, especially in the west.

I pictured it more rocky, but then again most of the book took place on the shattered plains...

Take the inspiration from the actual map provided for us in the front of the book. No shame in that. Also, are you going to do a Cognative map?

I'm looking at the maps of Elantris and Warbreaker now. Will interpret the best way I can. A cognitive map. Hmm. I wasn't planning on it. If this one is taken well enough, I may. But all I really set out to do was visualize the physical aspect of the Cosmere.

Roshar, as I imagined it, is kinda like rock with patches of green (except Shinovar)

Yeah, that's a good point. Where does shinovar lie?

By splashes of color, what do you mean? Which colors would that be?

Can't really know. We really only city one city in Warbreaker, and the only things mentioned from the outside world are some really vibrant flowers used to make dyes (but found only near said city), and a sea nearby. We really don't know.

The entirety of the Unclaimed Hills, if I recall, is covered in grass. It's implied that grass is the default in most places. That said, there's a GREAT deal more variety in plantlife color than Earth typically sees. Apart from known-inhospitable places like the Frostlands or the Shattered Plains, I'd default most places to green, but don't be afraid to make a random forest of red or orange or white. Recall that Shallan's Middlefest flashback takes place in a basin filled with trees... I think they are stated as being predominantly white. And the lait she finds just outside the Shattered Plains had a psychadelic collection of plantlife.

Can't really know. We really only city one city in Warbreaker, and the only things mentioned from the outside world are some really vibrant flowers used to make dyes (but found only near said city), and a sea nearby. We really don't know.

actually, we see 2 cities, T'Telir and Bevalis. We dont see much of Bevalis though

So I just had a thought, does anyone remember from in the books how far in advance did the local flora retreat when highstorms came? I know the further away from the source, the slower the plants responded because the storms were weaker farther out, but did the plants closer to the source retreat faster? Reason I say this, is I thought it would be kind of cool seeing Roshar from space, and basically you see green, but a thin band right in front of a highstorm looks barren as it moves across the planet from all the plants hiding, and then popping out after the highstorm due to the rain. 

So I just had a thought, does anyone remember from in the books how far in advance did the local flora retreat when highstorms came? I know the further away from the source, the slower the plants responded because the storms were weaker farther out, but did the plants closer to the source retreat faster? Reason I say this, is I thought it would be kind of cool seeing Roshar from space, and basically you see green, but a thin band right in front of a highstorm looks barren as it moves across the planet from all the plants hiding, and then popping out after the highstorm due to the rain. 

That's kind of how it works. Plans recede and come back very quickly before and after a highstorm. Considering that Shallan and Adolin were perfectly safe practically seconds before the stormwall (though, granted, they had some elevation), I expect plants to wait until the stormwall is just a few minutes away before retreating.

That's kind of how it works. Plans recede and come back very quickly before and after a highstorm. Considering that Shallan and Adolin were perfectly safe practically seconds before the stormwall (though, granted, they had some elevation), I expect plants to wait until the stormwall is just a few minutes away before retreating.

So would a few minutes be enough to see a difference from space? I hope so, because the image I am seeing in my head is really cool  :)

actually, we see 2 cities, T'Telir and Bevalis. We dont see much of Bevalis though

You know why we don't see all that much of it? Because it's just a whole cake of boring laced with who-cares frosting and writing on it that says "read anything else but this part of the book." It is seriously the most boring thing Sanderson has ever written in my opinion (I mean all the scenes set within the city).

Edited by Arthur Dent

So would a few minutes be enough to see a difference from space? I hope so, because the image I am seeing in my head is really cool  :)

Hey. Just want to apologize for not being entirely clear earlier on. I don't have plans with this version of the map to show any highstorms or everstorms, and I have mostly finished Roshar already. At work currently, so I'm not in a position to share a pic just yet.

Hey. Just want to apologize for not being entirely clear earlier on. I don't have plans with this version of the map to show any highstorms or everstorms, and I have mostly finished Roshar already. At work currently, so I'm not in a position to share a pic just yet.

No need to apologize, in fact I should because I wasn't more clear. I was not bringing this up with the intention of you having to make that a reality on your map. I just thought of how cool it is when astronauts view earth from the space station and watch as night progresses across the globe, and see it light up. So that image was in my head regarding a highstorm progressing across the globe, with an area of green, and then a band of brown just before it, and watching it move across that way. Unless you intend to do an interactive map, not sure how that could be adequately related on paper lol. 

You know why we don't see all that much of it? Because it's just a whole cake of boring laced with who-cares frosting and writing on it that says "read anything else but this part of the book." It is seriously the most boring thing Sanderson has ever written in my opinion (I mean all the scenes set within the city).

There is absolutely no reason to bring this kind of comment in this thread. 

That was probably meant to show the extreme contrast between the dullness of Idris and the rich colors of Hallandren.

That was probably meant to show the extreme contrast between the dullness of Idris and the rich colors of Hallandren.

That's a good point. 

I believe the issue is not so much your opinion but how you chose to express it. 

I thought it was snarky. Besides, I do have freedom of speech. He can't tell me that there is no reason to bring any kind of comment in as long as it follows forum rules. I didn't flame against another user, I didn't swear, I didn't do anything wrong.

Yeah, fair enough. I can get behind that. I won't change my post, though. I still like how I expressed my opinion.

Forsaking freedom of speech is generally one of the sacrifices you make when frequenting a forum. I don't like it either but there isn't much that can be done with it. That's the fundamental flaw to message boards.