Who would be interested in this?

Quiver

I would not have sat on that guy's lap. I'm sorry, but I said it. :o

"Dear San'ta'thul'hu,

This year I would like my sanity back. Since I laid eyes upon your eldritch form, my mind has slowly rotted into a black pool of corruption. I have felt the innocence of my childhood decay into a foul taint, an emptiness that fills my soul and eats my heart. The esoteric spirit of Christmas possesses me, consuming me all through the sweet night and the sickening days.

Also, I would like a puppy. i promise I would take good care of it.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn,

Your little friend Susan.

OK, I have a rough pitch for a Christmastime short story.

Santa Claus meets his equivalent in an alien culture: a bloodsucking reptile called the Winterender. The Winterender brings warmth and new scales for all the good little spider-lizard hatchlings, but feels threatened by the rise of human space-colonialism.

Meanwhile, a human colonial administrator plans to destroy spider-lizard habitats and force the survivors into specially designed reservations... unless St. Nick can teach him about the true meaning of Christmas first.

I am seriously considering writing this or some variation of it.

"Dear San'ta'thul'hu,

This year I would like my sanity back. Since I laid eyes upon your eldritch form, my mind has slowly rotted into a black pool of corruption. I have felt the innocence of my childhood decay into a foul taint, an emptiness that fills my soul and eats my heart. The esoteric spirit of Christmas possesses me, consuming me all through the sweet night and the sickening days.

Santa Claus meets his equivalent in an alien culture: a bloodsucking reptile called the Winterender. The Winterender brings warmth and new scales for all the good little spider-lizard hatchlings, but feels threatened by the rise of human space-colonialism.

Meanwhile, a human colonial administrator plans to destroy spider-lizard habitats and force the survivors into specially designed reservations... unless St. Nick can teach him about the true meaning of Christmas first.

I'd read that. 

Not sure what spin you'd put on it; you could put a bunch of spins on it, really. Depending on the tone, it could read like a novelization of an old-school Christmas special, a parody of old Christmas specials, political satire, or a Doctor Who episode. 

No matter the spin, I'd read it. 

On 29.11.2014 at 7:27 PM, Kobold King said:

"Dear San'ta'thul'hu,

I like the part where Santa wields a lazer candy cane to cut his way into the inner sanctuary and then disarms himself to proof that this isn´t about who gets to be celebrated where but about love and unity. :P

(Even if this doesn´t happen I would totally read Santa in space.)

Thinking about winter in fantasy settings made me realize something, I never considered how the water based magic system would interact with snow and ice. Now I have to set it there just to fix my grave mistake. Which also means that on top of plot and all that I have to do some additional worldbuilding as well. To the Nerdcave!

Edited by Edgedancer

I'd read that. 

Not sure what spin you'd put on it; you could put a bunch of spins on it, really. Depending on the tone, it could read like a novelization of an old-school Christmas special, a parody of old Christmas specials, political satire, or a Doctor Who episode. 

No matter the spin, I'd read it. 

To be honest I have no idea what kind of spin I'd use either.  :mellow: It exists in my head as only a very loose concept at the moment.  :P

Doctor Who-esque tone seems like something I'd write though. I'll definitely have to play around with the concept and settle on a good storyline.

Unrelated, but are we going to give this prompt-writing-group-thing a name?

To be honest I have no idea what kind of spin I'd use either.  :mellow: It exists in my head as only a very loose concept at the moment.  :P

Doctor Who-esque tone seems like something I'd write though. I'll definitely have to play around with the concept and settle on a good storyline.

Unrelated, but are we going to give this prompt-writing-group-thing a name?

You might like this as inspiration.

How about the MMOIPWAR (monthly meeting of insane people writing about randomness)?

Edited by Edgedancer

You might like this as inspiration.

How about the MMOIPWAR (monthly meeting of insane people writing about random things)?

* is infused with Christmas spirit and early space age optimism *

Thanks, I needed that. :D

This is acceptable. Maybe Randomizers for short? :P

Randomizer? Like the thing in Doctor Who that sends the TARDIS somewhere random?

I wholeheartedly approve. :D

Thanks to the power of Gedankenblitz and brainstorming while jogging I now actually have a vague outline for my story. (Much vagueness happening is an actual section written in the outline, so I still have some pantsing to do. :P)

Now i have to name a couple of things and I can start writting. Although, I´m more concerened about maniging everything I have currently planned for this in a month with the holidays comming up. The "much vagueness happening" might have to become a bit more literal than I would have liked.

Thanks to the power of Gedankenblitz and brainstorming while jogging I now actually have a vague outline for my story. (Much vagueness happening is an actual section written in the outline, so I still have some pantsing to do. :P)

Now i have to name a couple of things and I can start writting. Although, I´m more concerened about maniging everything I have currently planned for this in a month with the holidays comming up. The "much vagueness happening" might have to become a bit more literal than I would have liked.

Dr. Gedankenblitz would be a great name for a supervillain.

Anything you can tell us about your project? :)

Dr. Gedankenblitz would be a great name for a supervillain.

Anything you can tell us about your project? :)

The idea so far is that the duo that pretty much are the protagonists (One of the more scholary kind and the other a man of action) are currently on a quest that brings them around the whole world and for their next stop they have to traverse an area that is uncharted, because it is surrounded by a giant chull mass of ice that no one really knows how to deal with (it´s essentially the only place in the world with natural ice/snow) and the locals just so happen to be preparing for their holidays that is totally not christmas :P.

From there the story is split in dealing with the problem and interacting with the locals. 

Luckily, my outline and worldbuilding is a bit more detailed than this. ;)

I think mine is coming along nicely, in my head at least. I'm getting to know my Dragon, and now he just needs a name.

To bad "Draco Malfoy" (literally "dragon bad faith") is taken. :P

How about Drake Moirai or Amor Fati ("love of fate")?

On other news I started writing. Granted it´s currently only 160 words but I´m still working at it.

How about Drake Moirai or Amor Fati ("love of fate")?

On other news I started writing. Granted it´s currently only 160 words but I´m still working at it.

I like both of those, but he needs a more common name for a small city in Northwestern Washington. Maybe I'll get to use one of those if he goes full supervillain. :ph34r:

Write more. I want to read it. :D

Gedankenblitz

I have absolutely no idea what that is, and google didn't turn up anything. Would someone mind explaining?

Anyway... I've got nothing. At least, nothing concrete; there are a few ideas I have, but none of them especially... "speak" to me, you know? 

The prompt did make me realise that I don't exactly have... well, any holidays for any of the fantasy worlds I want to write in, and only barely touch on the idea of religious festivals. So maybe I'll do something with one of them. I mentioned an idea (somewhere) about Unicorn Knights, so maybe some kind of celebration that's based around foaling...

Alternatively... I've always found the idea of the Krampus kind of interesting. So... I'm thinking of maybe doing some kind of an anti-Christmas story, set on June 25th (near enough the Summer Solstice, and six months off from Christmas). As for what I'd do, I'm not sure... I just kind of find the idea of someone rewarding villany kind of funny, especially since I can see people trying to game the system, by being compelte bastards in the run up to Krampus Eve, and Saints towards Christmas.

EDIT Oh, and two other, Santas-based ones I forgot to mention:

First: Santa the Barbarian. A pastiche of the Conan stories (despite the fact I've never read them, shut up) as Kring, runt of the Ice Giants, carves out a kingdom in the frozen norths.

The other is a little more serious; a story about, basically, sweat shops, slavery and consumer awareness, featuring Elves.

...And okay, one other story about Goblins rearing Reindeer, because a cutesy-wutsey option is needed.

Edited by Quiver

Gedankenblitz is a german term that can roughly be translated as having a flash of inspiration.

Ah, thanks! I thought maybe it was some sort of random plot/idea generator type... thing. Thanks for clearing that up!

...besides which I have nothing really to add. Still thinkin'. The only difference is that I kind of find myself wanting to do something with the Snow Queen, since she's my one of my favourite fairy tales. Not sure what though; I've had a big idea in mind for her for a while, but... Not really "holiday" style story.

Ah, thanks! I thought maybe it was some sort of random plot/idea generator type... thing. Thanks for clearing that up!

...besides which I have nothing really to add. Still thinkin'. The only difference is that I kind of find myself wanting to do something with the Snow Queen, since she's my one of my favourite fairy tales. Not sure what though; I've had a big idea in mind for her for a while, but... Not really "holiday" style story.

I have an idea! You could have her have no control over her powers, and then have her freeze summer to turn it into winter! And, and, she could run away, trying to get away and save the town!

Well, then we only have one character. We could give her a sister, that has to go out and find her and being her back. Of course, we need some romantic tension, so give her a super hot guy that she just met, and then she can get to love a hermit that lives with a horse. No, too generic. Let's go with a reindeer.

Now for villains and comedic relief...we could always have the snow queen make a talking snowman. And the hot guy can be evil, and he only wanted the Snow Queen's sister for wealth and position.

It's genius.

You can thank me in the acknowledgements ;).

I have an idea! You could have her have no control over her powers, and then have her freeze summer to turn it into winter! And, and, she could run away, trying to get away and save the town!

Well, then we only have one character. We could give her a sister, that has to go out and find her and being her back. Of course, we need some romantic tension, so give her a super hot guy that she just met, and then she can get to love a hermit that lives with a horse. No, too generic. Let's go with a reindeer.

Now for villains and comedic relief...we could always have the snow queen make a talking snowman. And the hot guy can be evil, and he only wanted the Snow Queen's sister for wealth and position.

It's genius.

I have a character concept for the duke of a town entirely inhabited by weasels. Any way we could fit him into the story?

It's genius.

I have a character concept for the duke of a town entirely inhabited by weasels. Any way we could fit him into the story?

I think the duke would fit quite well. But what would you call your town of weasels? Weaselville? WeaselMet? Ciudad Comadreja? (Used Google Translate for that one.) 

I think the duke would fit quite well. But what would you call your town of weasels? Weaselville? WeaselMet? Ciudad Comadreja? (Used Google Translate for that one.) 

Eh... I haven't put much thought into the name. My notes just list his home as "Weaseltown." :/  I don't know... "Weselton," maybe?

I haven't fleshed out his character much, but he's definitely a superstitious character who hates magic. Also, he's a fantastic dancer.

Eh... I haven't put much thought into the name. My notes just list his home as "Weaseltown." :/  I don't know... "Weselton," maybe?

I haven't fleshed out his character much, but he's definitely a superstitious character who hates magic. Also, he's a fantastic dancer.

You know which two animals I've always thought were great dancers?

monkey-bananav2.jpg

Poltava_chicken_breed_male2.jpg

Maybe combine the two to compliment this duke on his dancing skills? 

It's genius.

I´m still working on some magical rock trolls that can manipulate memories, how about we squeeze them in there? By the way we should totally call this melted. :P

(Currently 500 words.)