Is Ruin changing our copy of The Way of Kings?

So. A while ago, I made a note at the end of Chapter 9 of Way of Kings, which ended with, "And for the first time in a year, Kaladin found himself crying."
I was reading a random part for the umpteenth time. Since I was on Kindle, I made a note. This was that note: "He hasn't cried in a year? What about the day Amaram betrayed him and he killed Helaran? It SAID there were tears on his cheeks." And Kaladin think to himself it's been about 2 or 3 weeks. This is inconsistent.

Later. Like... I have no idea how long later, I opened up good 'ol Way of Kings, and on that same chapter, it now said "And for the first time in over eight months, Kaladin found himself crying."
What happened here?

Other than this, there are other changes such as two instances of me noting "typo" and then later looking back and there being no typo, as well as "Kaladin's eyes snapped open, and they leaked light, faintly glowing amber." (or something like this) being changed to "Kaladin's eyes snapped open, and they leaked light too." I also made a note on this, "Amber?! AMBER?! They turn BLUE!!!" And now it's different! What's up here? Is Isaac Stewart reading my notes? (i certainly hope not, cause some of those are a little... odd. also i don't really think that's happening.) I'm just curious, does anyone know?

also, is it just the typo thread thing, still happening? but I didn't see any mention of any of these things on there. This might be a wee bit dumb but I don't know

2 hours ago, S. Stormy said:

So. A while ago, I made a note at the end of Chapter 9 of Way of Kings, which ended with, "And for the first time in a year, Kaladin found himself crying."
I was reading a random part for the umpteenth time. Since I was on Kindle, I made a note. This was that note: "He hasn't cried in a year? What about the day Amaram betrayed him and he killed Helaran? It SAID there were tears on his cheeks." And Kaladin think to himself it's been about 2 or 3 weeks. This is inconsistent.

Later. Like... I have no idea how long later, I opened up good 'ol Way of Kings, and on that same chapter, it now said "And for the first time in over eight months, Kaladin found himself crying."
What happened here?

Other than this, there are other changes such as two instances of me noting "typo" and then later looking back and there being no typo, as well as "Kaladin's eyes snapped open, and they leaked light, faintly glowing amber." (or something like this) being changed to "Kaladin's eyes snapped open, and they leaked light too." I also made a note on this, "Amber?! AMBER?! They turn BLUE!!!" And now it's different! What's up here? Is Isaac Stewart reading my notes? (i certainly hope not, cause some of those are a little... odd. also i don't really think that's happening.) I'm just curious, does anyone know?

also, is it just the typo thread thing, still happening? but I didn't see any mention of any of these things on there. This might be a wee bit dumb but I don't know

Yes, this is exactly what the Shardic force of Ruin is based on from real life. It is in no way unique to the cosmere; it is prevalent in places most would never think to look and most are not capable of remembering finely enough to pick up on.

The only thing that keeps us sane is the changelogs and metadata sweeps but...those supporting documents being filled out thoroughly and completely are the exception, not the rule, friend. May the changes be ever in your favor.

4 hours ago, S. Stormy said:

What happened here?

Kindle, if connected to an Amazon account, will update your ebook when the publisher pushes a version update for typo fixes. So, if you were offline (or some other lack-of-updates) then you might have read it a few times without ever seeing these changes - but when you next are connected and run updates, then Kindle may have updated your ebook for you. If you know a book has been updated, but it is not reflected in your copy, then you can contact Kindle customer service to have them push the upadte manually.

4 hours ago, S. Stormy said:

also, is it just the typo thread thing, still happening? but I didn't see any mention of any of these things on there.

Older books had their typo threads on the TimeWaster Guild forums that predated this site (you can still access them as read-only from the Forum main page > Related Works > TWG Archive), so you would not find mention of these known typos in the threads here. 

On 5/26/2024 at 12:58 PM, S. Stormy said:

What happened here?

Honestly, something like this is exactly what Brandon would do. He would definitely intentionally change things and make it “Ruin”.

For what it's worth, I just checked my kindle copy, then deleted the download and redownloaded the book. It said "in a year" both times. So clearly my phone has a suitable amount of metal protecting it.

On 5/26/2024 at 3:58 PM, S. Stormy said:

as well as "Kaladin's eyes snapped open, and they leaked light, faintly glowing amber." (or something like this) being changed to "Kaladin's eyes snapped open, and they leaked light too." I also made a note on this, "Amber?! AMBER?! They turn BLUE!!!"

2 hours ago, Eluvianii said:

For what it's worth, I just checked my kindle copy, then deleted the download and redownloaded the book. It said "in a year" both times. So clearly my phone has a suitable amount of metal protecting it.

Ditto - my TWoK also says Year and Amber - but my epub is a decade old at least, and not on any active account since I keep them in Calibre. 

However, checking the new version I bought a year ago (hoping for better resoluton chapter header images - Brandon's books are worth buying multiples) I see both of these changes. "Eight months" in Ch 9 and the Ch 38 stops with "they leaked light too." (Amber clause removed). So, it does seem to be a version update thing, though I am not sure when those changes were implemented. Likely they happened when editing for the 10th anniversary edition (just like the Elantris Changes). 

PS: WoK Typos on TWG start here

Edited by Treamayne
SPAG

28 minutes ago, Treamayne said:

Ditto - my TWoK also says Year and Amber - but my epub is a decade old at least, and not on any active account since I keep them in Calibre. 

However, checking the new version I bought a year ago (hoping for better resoluton chapter header images - Brandon's books are worth buying multiples) I see both of these changes. "Eight months" in Ch 9 and the Ch 38 stops with "they leaked light too." (Amber clause removed). So, it does seem to be a version update thing, though I am not sure when those changes were impletemented. Likely they happened when editing for the 10th anniversary edition (just like the Elantris Changes). 

*whispers*
RUIN

• 4 weeks later...

I'm sorely, sorely tempted to tag PeterAhlstrom and let him know that he's potentially gained a new alias/nickname on 17th Shard, but I don't want to waste his time. At least, since Peter is the one who reads and responds to the typo threads, I'm assuming he's helping sort out these kinds of things.

30 minutes ago, Duxredux said:

I'm sorely, sorely tempted to tag PeterAhlstrom and let him know that he's potentially gained a new alias/nickname on 17th Shard, but I don't want to waste his time. At least, since Peter is the one who reads and responds to the typo threads, I'm assuming he's helping sort out these kinds of things.

"Ookla, Vessel of Ruin" does have a nice ring; does it not?

We can always just use the new name when the SA5 Typo thread opens, and link it to this thread. He'd find it eventually. . . 

Edited by Treamayne

• 2 weeks later...