Kandra Dragon form?

Nexus11221

Question

I've been thinking a lot about kandra like could a kandra be a mistborn (I found an answer for that one) but also could you have a kandra in the form of a dragon? Let's say you had a dragon and you killed it preserving its bones and muscle structure, could a kandra eat the body of the dragon and make a dragon body for its self? I know I worded that kinda bad but could you have a kandra in the form of a dragon? I don't know that much about dragons so I was just wondering. Also this is my first post so idk how to phrase and organize stuff.

8 answers to this question

Welcome to the Shard. You should post in your profile or an Intro Thread what you have or have not read, so we can tag spoilers correctly when answering your question.  Here are some tips and tricks of which you may not yet be aware, as each forum is slightly different:

Spoiler
  • At the bottom left of a post you will see a "+" icon, a "Quote" link.
  • At the bottom right you will see an heart icon (and possibly different reactions in the future).
  • At the top right you will see a hamburger menu (three dots) which shows: Report, Share, and (your posts only) Edit and Hide tools.

Likes/Reactions:

Spoiler
  • The Heart Icon (Like) is how you thank people or "like" a post
    • Likes, Mentions and Quotes should all send an alert to the appropriate person - even when added to an old post through the Edit feature.

Report Tool:

Spoiler
  • Use  the Report tool to report any post (your own or others) to a forum Mod
    • Use this if you do accidentally double-post (sometimes it's the browser or a slow link that causes a double post) - just leave a message that it was an accidental double post and the Mods can fix it. If it was the first post of a new thread that doubled, they usually can merge the threads if they both have answers, so all of the content is retained.
    • For reporting Spam, only report a single post by the user to let the Mods and Admins know - they get messages for each "report" so reporting each Spam post is annoying and unnecessary. If all posts by a "new user" (bot) are all spam - then all of those posts will be deleted when that account is deleted.

Hide Tool:

Spoiler
  • Use the Hide tool to hide your post if you want to remove it after posting (useful for accidental double-posts)
    • Hiding the first post in a Thread will hide the thread as long as ther have been no replies (Needs Testing)
  • If you are the first post of a new thread, you should also have access to "Moderation Actions"  (above the post, left of the "Start New Topic" button) which will allow you to hide the entire thread.

Mentions:

Spoiler
  • You can "Mention" a person by typing "@" and slowly typing their user name (spelling matters). As you spell their name, the interface will show a pop-up with matches - when you match appears, click it to add the Mention
    • Likes, Mentions and Quotes should all send an alert to the appropriate person - even when added to an old post through the Edit feature.

Quote Methods:

Spoiler
  • The "Quote" link is exactly that, when you click it the quote will be added to the reply at the bottom of the thread wherever the cursor is (adding a carraige return if necessary)
    • So, if you have already started to reply before you decide to quote you can then add the quote before or after your text depending on the cursor location when you click "Quote"
  • The + icon is multi-quote. As you read a thread, if you want to quote multiple items you can click that for each post you want to quote
    • As you click +, you should see a toaster pop-up on the bottom right of the browser window showing how many quotes you will have
    • They are added in the order you click the + icon, not in the original post order, so you can set the order of quotes for your reply
    • When you are ready to reply, click on the toaster pop-up and it will take you directly to the reply section and add the quotes automatically with one blank line between each for you to add your comment(s)
  • Finally, you can also highlight a small section of a post and, when hovering over the highlit portion, click the "Quote Selection" button that pops up.
    • This will also be added to the cursor location, rather than the bottom of the reply.
  • Also note that you can move quotes after they have been added to your reply.
    • For example, you add a quote and realize there are no empty lines below it for you to type - so you can hit "enter" before the quote to make an empty line then when you hover over a quote you will see a 4-way arrow at the top-left that you can use to drag the quote up (or down)  and move the quote to before the empty line. . .
    • This is also how you can add quotes to an Edit of your own post. You quote using any of the methods above and the quote will go to the reply section. You then hover over the four-way arrow and use CTRL+C to cut the quote, which you can then paste into your edit window.

Editing posts:

Spoiler
  • Use the Edit link to make changes to a completed post or add information to your post if it is the most recent (to avoid double posting)
    • Quote buttons will still send a quote to "Reply" if you have a post open for edit, but it is easy to cut/paste the quote to the Edit box
    • Editing the first post in a thread allows the thread-creator to edit the thread title (important for changing accidental spoilers)
    • Editing allows you to add a reason for the edit (Spelling and grammar (SPAG), formatting, clarification, new information, etc.), but it is not required.

Other:

Spoiler
  • Quotes and Spoilers are very similar, but here are the differences:
    • Spoiler tags are default "closed" and are not attributed - they may be opened by clicking the spoiler box title
    • Quotes are default "open" (but may be closed by clicking the Quote Title and are denoted by the basic arrow icon on the left side of the quote title), If the quote was added with one of the methods explained above, it will be attributed - if it was added with the quote icon in the Reply/Edit tools, it will not be attributed.
    • Attributed Quotes will have a curved arrow icon on the right side of the quote title to jump directly to the post from which the quote was taken.

Hope that helps.

11 minutes ago, Nexus11221 said:

I've been thinking a lot about kandra like could a kandra be a mistborn (I found an answer for that one) but also could you have a kandra in the form of a dragon? Let's say you had a dragon and you killed it preserving its bones and muscle structure, could a kandra eat the body of the dragon and make a dragon body for its self? I know I worded that kinda bad but could you have a kandra in the form of a dragon? I don't know that much about dragons so I was just wondering. Also this is my first post so idk how to phrase and organize stuff.

There are WoBs for that, but they pretty much amount to RAFO:

Spoiler

Questioner

If a kandra were to somehow take the form of a dragon, would they notice any differences in anatomy, or is it spot-on impersonation?

Brandon Sanderson

I'm going to RAFO that, to leave Dragonsteel for Dragonsteel when we get there.

JordanCon 2016 (April 23, 2016)

Lunamor

Can a kandra eat a dragon? Either in human or just regular dragon form?

Brandon Sanderson

They can eat one in human form. Getting the whole thing in dragon form would be a little like that scene in Elden Ring.

Dragonsteel 2023 (Nov. 21, 2023)

Questioner

You recently said that dragons in the cosmere can take the form of humans.

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Questioner

A kandra from Mistborn can do something very similar. Is there a meaningful connection between what the dragons and kandra can do?

Brandon Sanderson

Noooo, except for on fundamental cosmere rules stuff, but that's-- I would say no, in the same way that if you're like, "Is there any similarity between the way that bats fly and birds fly?" Well, there is some similarity 'cause-- But there is [convergent] evolution and stuff like that.

However, we know that simply wearing the Bones of an invested entity is not enough to grant a Kandra access to that Investiture (OreSeur did not become Mistborn by consuming Kelsier's corpse), but we do not yet know if the actual Steel part of DragonSteel (a biological component of Dragons) would be affected by this or not. 

6 minutes ago, Treamayne said:

There are WoBs for that, but they pretty much amount to RAFO:

Reveal hidden contents

Questioner

If a kandra were to somehow take the form of a dragon, would they notice any differences in anatomy, or is it spot-on impersonation?

Brandon Sanderson

I'm going to RAFO that, to leave Dragonsteel for Dragonsteel when we get there.

Lunamor

Can a kandra eat a dragon? Either in human or just regular dragon form?

Brandon Sanderson

They can eat one in human form. Getting the whole thing in dragon form would be a little like that scene in Elden Ring.

Dragonsteel 2023 (Nov. 21, 2023)

Questioner

You recently said that dragons in the cosmere can take the form of humans.

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Questioner

A kandra from Mistborn can do something very similar. Is there a meaningful connection between what the dragons and kandra can do?

Brandon Sanderson

Noooo, except for on fundamental cosmere rules stuff, but that's-- I would say no, in the same way that if you're like, "Is there any similarity between the way that bats fly and birds fly?" Well, there is some similarity 'cause-- But there is [convergent] evolution and stuff like that.

However, we know that simply wearing the Bones of an invested entity is not enough to grant a Kandra access to that Investiture (OreSeur did not become Mistborn by consuming Kelsier's corpse), but we do not yet know if the actual Steel part of DragonSteel (a biological component of Dragons) would be affected by this or not. 

Ah ok thank you for answering that question and also thanks for the little tutorial on the forms lol.

You can technically grant a Kandra Powers with non-standard Blessings, so it theoretically should be possible to make a full Mistborn Kandra, though it would have become a lot harder in Era2 where there were no longer any naturally around to Spike, and Blessings are special in ways only Harmony knows.  

Given enough time a Kandra can technically digest enough matter to grow pretty big and at least attempt the form of things like Chasmfields, but they'd lack the Spren-based antigravity that makes them function at that size with normal Physics limitations. So they could process food into more Body Mass, but eventually they'll they get so big that they start crushing themselves like a beached whale.  

Questioner

What are the upper limits size-wise of what a kandra form can take? Could they say eat a chasmfiend?

Brandon Sanderson

Well, they would have trouble with the square-cube law, and a chasmfiend does not, because they have a symbiosis with natural spren, which keep them from crushing themselves. *scattered laughter* So a kandra would crush themselves if they tried to do that.

On 5/6/2024 at 3:43 PM, Quantus said:

Given enough time a Kandra can technically digest enough matter to grow pretty big and at least attempt the form of things like Chasmfields, but they'd lack the Spren-based antigravity that makes them function at that size with normal Physics limitations. So they could process food into more Body Mass, but eventually they'll they get so big that they start crushing themselves like a beached whale.  

Unless, of course, they have something to reduce their weight...

2 hours ago, Argenti said:

I think an A-Pewter F-Iron would be the best.

Alternatively, a gem skeleton might let them Bond a spren.  It would be a massive skeleton to craft, too bad Soulcasting can't help.

Ok-Row1050

If a kandra with a crystal True Body made their way to Roshar, could they use their crystal bones like a gemheart?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, they could. That is an excellent question.

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/498/#e15733

On 5/10/2024 at 2:12 PM, Quantus said:

Alternatively, a gem skeleton might let them Bond a spren.  It would be a massive skeleton to craft, too bad Soulcasting can't help.

Or, maybe just put a large gem inside.