Ookla

Can someone help clarify this for me? I’ve been looking around and I’ve been wondering, why does it seem that everyone’s name in the past or currently has had the word Ookla in it?

7 hours ago, Block said:

Can someone help clarify this for me? I’ve been looking around and I’ve been wondering, why does it seem that everyone’s name in the past or currently has had the word Ookla in it?

Please see this thread:

On 11/21/2023 at 11:41 AM, NerdyAarakocra said:

Ookla Season Cometh!

Ookla Season is one of our most venerated traditions here on 17th Shard. To honor the birthday of Peter Ahlstrom, Brandon Sanderson's assistant, we change our names to "Ookla the [Epithet]" on his birthday, November 26th. Most people change back after a week, but Ookla Season doesn't officially end until Koloss Head-Munching Day (Brandon Sanderson's birthday) in December.

So, yeah. Ookla season! Hopefully you won't be as confused as I was my first time around.

Ookla was Peter's Forum Name for the Time Waster Guild (Archive Link) Forums, which were the predecessor to these forums. Example WoB:

Spoiler

TWG Posts (May 6, 2005)

Peter Ahlstrom

These pronunciations are pretty hard to say and don't make much sense internally! How do you pronounce "en" at the end of "Raoden" and "is" it the end of Elantris and "Sa-" at the beginning of "Sarene"? Is it Ray-oh-deen and Ee-lain-trice and Say-ray-nay? Or is it "-en" (as in "end" with no "d") and "-triss" (rhymes with "kiss") and "Suh-" (front rhymes with "Samantha")? Or Because if it's "-en" and "-triss" and "Suh-" then these pronunciations are not allowed by your AEIO rules, and if it's "-deen" and "-trice" and "Say-" then your listed pronunciations are not helpful.

<snip>

Brandon Sanderson

Ookla,

You're missing the long/short combination. (EP has it exactly right.)

The Aon has long vowels, the rest of the word has short. Maybe I need to make that more explicit. However, reading it, it makes sense to me.

<Snip>

TWG Posts (May 6, 2005)

Hope that helps

On 4/17/2024 at 4:00 PM, Treamayne said:

Please see this thread:

Ookla was Peter's Forum Name for the Time Waster Guild (Archive Link) Forums, which were the predecessor to these forums. Example WoB:

Reveal hidden contents

TWG Posts (May 6, 2005)

Peter Ahlstrom

These pronunciations are pretty hard to say and don't make much sense internally! How do you pronounce "en" at the end of "Raoden" and "is" it the end of Elantris and "Sa-" at the beginning of "Sarene"? Is it Ray-oh-deen and Ee-lain-trice and Say-ray-nay? Or is it "-en" (as in "end" with no "d") and "-triss" (rhymes with "kiss") and "Suh-" (front rhymes with "Samantha")? Or Because if it's "-en" and "-triss" and "Suh-" then these pronunciations are not allowed by your AEIO rules, and if it's "-deen" and "-trice" and "Say-" then your listed pronunciations are not helpful.

<snip>

Brandon Sanderson

Ookla,

You're missing the long/short combination. (EP has it exactly right.)

The Aon has long vowels, the rest of the word has short. Maybe I need to make that more explicit. However, reading it, it makes sense to me.

<Snip>

TWG Posts (May 6, 2005)

Hope that helps

Thanks for helping me out as well, you made my day. If I face any issue, I will ask by starting my own thread.

Edit: Thank you so much for answering, I will do research as you said and if I won't find my answer, I will start the new thread.

Edited by EffieCornett

1 hour ago, EffieCornett said:

Thanks for helping me out as well, you made my day. If I face any issue, I will ask by starting my own thread.

I cannot tell if this is an attempt at stealth sarcasm or not, so I will reply as if the comment were genuine. 

Please use the search feature as your first option. Advanced search on this site is actually rather robust and spending a bit of time early to get used to how it works will save you hours of time in the future. Summary:

Spoiler
  • Green - One or more search terms
  • Yellow - Filter by author (I use this often to find my own old posts - as you start typing, a list of matches will pop up)
  • Orange - Filter by section of the site (Topics is the unintuitive label for Forums - when chosen you can pick one or more forums in which to search. Example shown is Cosmere Discussion and Mistborn)
  • Blue - Search only thread titles (how I found that Ookla thread above, since it only appears in the title of threads discussing Ookla season) or search all content (which can find multiple hits in the same thread - if the font is larger, that indicates the search result is the thread's first post)
  • Red - Boolean - use this to search all terms or any combination of one or more terms (for example, if you were to search "Reading Order" in Thread Titles, but did not set "all terms" it would find threads with just "reading" or just "order" - like Reading RecommendationsWhat are you reading, Which Radiant Order are you)

ShardSearch.jpg.d8f1246c6fc96627d8a3278bd7c3aff1.jpg

Hope that helps

Edited by Treamayne
SPAG