New and Need Direction :)

LunarFire

Hello all!

New to the community, I recently devoured the Mistborn Trilogy in about 4 days. It was amazing and I fell in love with the universe. 

Now I come needing advice: I have a difficult time once I find an author that I really like because I become so into the series that I initially read that I am terrified to continue on to other things.

Suggestions? What is the next series from Brandon Sanderson that I should test out? 

I know I am in good hands :)

Luna

Hello there! Welcome! If you've read the Mistborn trilogy, you might want to try Alloy of Law - set on the same planet, but several hundred years in the future, with some of the characters from the trilogy appearing as legends or other references. Also Allomantic gunfights. Good times.

Other suggestions: the Stormlight Archive series (book one, Way of Kings, and book two, Words of Radiance are out now).

You could also try Warbreaker, which is available for free on his website.

Honestly, there hasn't been anything of Brandon's that I've read and not enjoyed, so you could try pretty much anything.

Welcome to 17th Shard Luna! I would definitely suggest The Alloy of Law as your next read. It's fun to see the callbacks to the original Mistborn trilogy in it. I'd personally save The Way of Kings and Words of Radiance for last, because I think they're Brandon's strongest and best works.

You should also read Elantris, which is bigger on politics, and a little slow at the beginning, but I enjoyed it.

Of course, if you're looking for something completely different in tone from Mistborn, go ahead and try Alcatraz v. Evil Librarians. It's goofy, but quite enjoyable. Check out his other YA stuff, too (Steelheart and The Rithmatist). I personally liked The Rithmatist the most out of all of his YA fiction. 

I also hhad my doubts in the beginning, and was afraid of reading other sanderson stuff for fear it would not live up to it. BUt now I've read anything he wrote (except for short stories) and I have never been disappointed, so I say, go ahead.

Since no one mentioned it, I also suggest the wheel of time, although it was only finished by sanderson after the original author died

Welcome to the forums! Would you like a welcome cookie?

I'd definitely support the recommendation of Alloy of Law for your next read, after that I'd have to say Elantris was one of my favourites but if you've read a lot of Brandons other stuff you do notice that it has some pacing issues.

Having Read everything he's Ever written, (Minus Dragonsteel. I Don't live in Utah.) I would agree with going to Alloy of Law. For there though, I would actually go on to Warbreaker. It's similar enough to Mistborn that you'll easily get into it, but at the same time, different enough to give you the Confidence in his ability as a writer.

After that, read Elantris. More Political than Warbreaker, so it's a nice Transition. Then read Way of Kings. It's huge though, so start reading his short stories before you start Words of radiance.

Or if you want to skip straight to the Stormlight Archive, Read Warbreaker still, then both SA books so you can squee with joy at the end of WoR.

I recommend Warbreaker.

Not only was it the first book I read after the Mistborn trilogy, I think it works very well as a companion piece to it. I also have to echo sentiments that it might be best to save Stormlight Archive for the end; aside from the fact that the third one might be out by then, they are fairly... hefty books. It might be a good idea to get his shorter stories out of the way before starting Brandon's opus.

Thanks guys!

I'm going to wait some time before I get into another one because I literally will not sleep until I finish it :)

If you miss sleep when reading and you are expected to do things in the morning (you could double check you contract to be sure, but it's likely it is written there somewhere that they expect you to work for the money they give you. some people are just unreasonable :D ) then I suggest alloy of law first. if you are the "won't put the book down until it's finished" kind of reader, then you read pretty fast, and you can read it in a weekend without problems for work.

warbreaker and elantris are also relatively short (it tells something that i consider a 500 page book to be "short"), and also rithmatist and steelheart. you can read all those on the weekends with relative safety.

for the stormlight archive, you should wait christmas vacation instead.