For how long will Adolin be alive?

missionaryofgod

Adolin  

52 members have voted

1. 1. For how long will Adolin be alive?

• Dies in book five
    • Dies earlier
    • Dies later
    • Lives through the whole series

Not much of an Adolin fan but i think he will probably live through the whole series. On the other hand Kal is my favorite and i think he will probably die in book 5. It's the feeling i have.

Good thread by the way :) Here's an upvote.

I've loved Adolin so far, and if he dies.. I honestly don't know that I'll do.  I mean, if Adolin died, what would Shallan do?  I believe that Kaladin wouldn't get married.  He's more of a loner, and if someone could get him to open up, I think that it would be Jasnah.  Renarin isn't Shallan's type, so Adolin is the only candidate.  Shallan has had too much bad happen in her life for Brandon to do away with her lover  :P

I've loved Adolin so far, and if he dies.. I honestly don't know that I'll do.  I mean, if Adolin died, what would Shallan do?  I believe that Kaladin wouldn't get married.  He's more of a loner, and if someone could get him to open up, I think that it would be Jasnah.  Renarin isn't Shallan's type, so Adolin is the only candidate.  Shallan has had too much bad happen in her life for Brandon to do away with her lover  :P

Unless he's about to get all GRRM on us... :)

I think Adolin will survive at least through book 5

If Adolin dies, I am throwing my book on the wall and I'll write a very angry letter to Brandon: "How dared you?" :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: 

I hope he'll live through the whole series, but if he dies, I don't think he'll die before book 5. It would be waste to kill off Adolin this early in the series: he has a strong potential for character growth and killing him seems like the easy way out. I do think that if Adolin lives through book 5, he'll probably live until the end.

Well, considering how many characters have "died" and been brought back, I anticipate the death count of major characters being pretty small. Minor characters are going to drop like flies, though, I'm sure. The books definitely seem to be following in WoT's footsteps.

Once i thought that he would die. But now my feelings are more towards the wide direction that something bad will happen to him, but not necessarily die.

As Moogle said in the post above, Brandon doesnt seen very keen to kill his major characters, and as Maxal said it would be a waste of a good and complex character. I agree with both.

Actually, my current hint is that Dalinar is the one that dies, possibly in book 5 or even 4 perhaps (as Brandon is thinking of maybe putting some dead ones as flashbacks)

Once i thought that he would die. But now my feelings are more towards the wide direction that something bad will happen to him, but not necessarily die.

As Moogle said in the post above, Brandon doesnt seen very keen to kill his major characters, and as Maxal said it would be a waste of a good and complex character. I agree with both.

Actually, my current hint is that Dalinar is the one that dies, possibly in book 5 or even 4 perhaps (as Brandon is thinking of maybe putting some dead ones as flashbacks)

I adore Dalinar, but as a character I feel there is not much growth left for him to do. Sadly, he is prime candidate for death  :(  His death would serve as an inspiration much in the same say Kelsier had to die. Adolin dying? That would just destroy Dalinar and probably Renarin as well. He nearly didn't make it through following his brother's death, he broke down in guilt thinking he was responsible... Now let's imagine how Dalinar would feel if Adolin died? No matter the circumstances, Dalinar would feel he had fell at protecting his child.

Edit: One other theory I have is that Adolin will indeed die heroically, but his death will prompt Renarin to discover another oath giving him the power to heal him back to life. Much like Lift did with Gawk. It would be sweet if after failing so often to protect his family Renarin found the one way he can actually help.

Edited by maxal

Well, considering how many characters have "died" and been brought back, I anticipate the death count of major characters being pretty small. Minor characters are going to drop like flies, though, I'm sure. The books definitely seem to be following in WoT's footsteps.

WoT spoilers:

At least one main character died in WOT (Engwene) Who will that be in SA then?

I´m happy to see in the poll that most people are positive about Adolins chances. I am also a person that wants all of the main characters to live all the way to the end but I still believe he is going to die later in the series, hopefully heroic.

Edited by WeiryWriter
also please don't double post

WoT spoilers:

At least one main character died in WOT (Engwene) Who will that be in SA then?

I've edited your post to have a spoiler tag. Please try to keep spoilers as broad as possible, or else tag them!

As for deaths in SA, no clue. If I had to guess, Kaladin. It would finish off the story of Fleet nicely, and Brandon does like his foreshadowing.

I've edited your post to have a spoiler tag. Please try to keep spoilers as broad as possible, or else tag them!

As for deaths in SA, no clue. If I had to guess, Kaladin. It would finish off the story of Fleet nicely, and Brandon does like his foreshadowing.

I don't want to see Kaladin dying either... although imagining a happy long term future is harder for him then for Adolin.

I´m sorry about that. Thought that A memory of light was so old so it would not be a problem. Also I wonder how you do that spoiler tag thing?

Kaladin dying UUH! Really hope not.

I've never thought that Adolin will die. I just don't get that feeling when reading the books. If he must die, then this will not come too early because he has so much potential. Such a character should not be wasted. He is going to be safe for quite a long time, hopefully. To be honest, I don't want any major character to die… I love them all. If one does, I will probably weep for days :( And I really worry about Kaladin, and if the story of Fleet comes true… oh no!

Adolin makes me think of Boromir in LoTR... I have always been saddened and angry over Boromir's death as I felt it was the easy way out for his character. I was under the impression he had strong potential for character growth had he been allowed to live. The story of his return to Gondor while having to deal with the guilt of having betrayed his companions and the shame of having fallen to the ring's lure would have been an interesting one to read. Not to mention the upcoming rivalry with Aragorn, a man he had come to respect, over the the throne of Gondor.

However, this story would have been more difficult to write and the easy way out was to have Boromir repenting himself by dying the heroic death.

Such a shame.

In sincerely hope Brandon won't pull a Boromir on us and let Adolin follow his growth path even if it is a difficult one.

It's strange though, I have never seen the story of fleet as a foreshadowing for Kaladin's faith. I fell to see the link between Kaladin and Fleet anyway.

It's strange though, I have never seen the story of fleet as a foreshadowing for Kaladin's faith. I fell to see the link between Kaladin and Fleet anyway.

I honestly didn´t care much for that Wit/Hoid story so I did not pay enough attention to see anything in it. Just wanted to read further into the real story. Sorry all Hoid lovers out there but i think all his storytelling is a little bit boring.

I honestly didn´t care much for that Wit/Hoid story so I did not pay enough attention to see anything in it. Just wanted to read further into the real story. Sorry all Hoid lovers out there but i think all his storytelling is a little bit boring.

I am not much of a Hoid fan either, so no harm done. I don't even find him to be an interesting character. He is unnerving as he knows things but he purposely keeps them away from the people he pretends he is helping.

Brandon doesn't like killing off one half of a romantic partnership in general, so I'm going to guess he lives or dies as Shallan does.

Mistborn spoiler (books 2 and 3)

One exception was Sazed/Tindwyl, Sazed was the only character in a Sanderson book I can think of that outlived their romantic partner by more than a few hours, and in his case a lot more.

I'd be quite surprised to see Adolin and Shallan get GRRM'ed unless their deaths are a major part of book 5 or 10.

I see Dalinar dying in Book 5.

It's just a hunch right now, but he is the "leader" of the new radiants, so a sacrifice to end the first arc (and fulfill that death rattle) would be fitting.

I'm just hoping that whoever dies does so in a better way than Captain Kirk in Generations.

I don't think Adolin will die, even in the end. I think that he will be king of Alethkar in the end, and that he will embrace his role as a leader after a long arc that will lead him through a complicated path. Kaladin will probably be one of his closest friends on this path, during his darkest moments, helping him not to loose himself. 

In the end, I see Adolin on the throne with Shallan and Renarin to help him reign as a good king. 

And I think that, by then, Kal will probably be dead, and dearly remembered by those who love him.

He will be dead because he will sacrifice his life to try and save everyone else. It's not only because of Fleet's story. It's the way his character has been written from the beginning. I think that he is the champion who will fight the great duel. Or maybe it's more complicated than that. Maybe Adolin is meant to be the champion (after all, we hear a lot about his duelling skills) and Kal will take his place/ or he will have to lead another fight in order to allow the duel to take place. I don't know, but I'm sure that Kal will die a hero, while Adolin will live to be king.

I see Dalinar dying in Book 5.

It's just a hunch right now, but he is the "leader" of the new radiants, so a sacrifice to end the first arc (and fulfill that death rattle) would be fitting.

I'm just hoping that whoever dies does so in a better way than Captain Kirk in Generations.

I agree - it would be somehow fitting for Dalinar to die in Book 5, after he fullfilled his duty to "unite them". And after that I believe Adolin will take his place as the Highprince and propably Kaladin will lead the Radiants (by then he should properly embrace the "leading" attribute of the Windrunner), assuming they're not disbanded or anything (I don't think it'll be the case). That's why I think Adolin will survive - Renarin wouldn't do as a Highprince.

But of course Dalinar must die a valiant and heroic death - otherwise it's crem dung the stupidiest thing to do.

I don't think Adolin will die, even in the end. I think that he will be king of Alethkar in the end, and that he will embrace his role as a leader after a long arc that will lead him through a complicated path. Kaladin will probably be one of his closest friends on this path, during his darkest moments, helping him not to loose himself. 

In the end, I see Adolin on the throne with Shallan and Renarin to help him reign as a good king. 

And I think that, by then, Kal will probably be dead, and dearly remembered by those who love him.

He will be dead because he will sacrifice his life to try and save everyone else. It's not only because of Fleet's story. It's the way his character has been written from the beginning. I think that he is the champion who will fight the great duel. Or maybe it's more complicated than that. Maybe Adolin is meant to be the champion (after all, we hear a lot about his duelling skills) and Kal will take his place/ or he will have to lead another fight in order to allow the duel to take place. I don't know, but I'm sure that Kal will die a hero, while Adolin will live to be king.

I'm not sure if Adolin will become the king. I think it will be Elhokar's son, hopefully raised and prepared by his aunt and uncles, grandma Navani and maybe with some help of captain Kaladin. Because by now, with what we know of Aesudan, I honestly imagine Elhokar's son exactly like Robert Arryn from A Song of Ice and Fire (you know - the spoiled and completely hopeless brat who sucks mommy's breast despite being what? eight?), so it'd take much effort from the more sane part of the family to have him grow up to be anything else than pathetic.

And I really hope Kaladin won't die :( He deserves a good future - with a loving wife and child (prefarably son similair to Tien), surrounded by true friends (Adolin, Rock and the others of the Bridge Four) and doing what is right with the other Radiants. And of course with Syl always there to scold/cheer him up.

I agree - it would be somehow fitting for Dalinar to die in Book 5, after he fullfilled his duty to "unite them". And after that I believe Adolin will take his place as the Highprince and propably Kaladin will lead the Radiants (by then he should properly embrace the "leading" attribute of the Windrunner), assuming they're not disbanded or anything (I don't think it'll be the case). That's why I think Adolin will survive - Renarin wouldn't do as a Highprince.

But of course Dalinar must die a valiant and heroic death - otherwise it's crem dung the stupidiest thing to do.

Radiants look so hard to kill I am starting to wonder if our prediction about Dalinar will come true... How do you even kill someone who can heal himself from the most dire wounds? How do you kill a character who's son has the ability to heal the dead?

Dalinar's death makes sense in a plot point-of-vue as, just like Kelsier, his death would reinforce the position he has been trying to instate for books now and it would serve as in inspiration for future generations.

Making Renarin the Highprince would be horrible as he is completely unsuitable for the job, but not impossible.

Considering the simple fact Adolin is the only non-Radiant of the family, his chances of survival in world going into a Desolation with nothing but regular shards to protect him (considering he can manage to hold-on to them for that long) are slim to none. Adolin is the general of the Kohlin army, the fighter, the one that rushes head first into every single battle. So far, he has faced foes he could easily beat, but what will happened to him when the Voidbringers will start to gain powers or when the Thunderclasts will emerged? We have seen he is no match for a simple Honorblade wielder.

Bottom line is, if Adolin does not become a Radiant, then he probably is dead meat. He won't survived the endless battles against creatures out of hell, not him who is always ahead of every soldier. He'll be one the first to get killed as I doubt he will step down and lead from behind the lines ala Aladar.

Thus Renarin could become Highprince.... for better or for worst.

I'm not sure if Adolin will become the king. I think it will be Elhokar's son, hopefully raised and prepared by his aunt and uncles, grandma Navani and maybe with some help of captain Kaladin. Because by now, with what we know of Aesudan, I honestly imagine Elhokar's son exactly like Robert Arryn from A Song of Ice and Fire (you know - the spoiled and completely hopeless brat who sucks mommy's breast despite being what? eight?), so it'd take much effort from the more sane part of the family to have him grow up to be anything else than pathetic.

And I really hope Kaladin won't die :( He deserves a good future - with a loving wife and child (prefarably son similair to Tien), surrounded by true friends (Adolin, Rock and the others of the Bridge Four) and doing what is right with the other Radiants. And of course with Syl always there to scold/cheer him up.

Elhokar's son is a baby... No chances of him being spoiled just yet, but I sincerely do not think the child will survive. The most likely to happen is the Queen will get killed in the rebellion and her son with her. Adolin becoming king is quite a possibility if he does not die first (see above). Of all the Kohlins, he is probably the best suited for the job anyway.

I do hope Kal will find some happiness as well.

Elhokar's son is a baby... No chances of him being spoiled just yet, but I sincerely do not think the child will survive.

Ok, I must've missed that... I remembered that he's a young child... I mean I assumed he was born before the war started or at the very beginning of it. It's just that I believe that Elhokar went to the Plains and stayed there for good ever since the Pact started and I somehow assumed that Aesudan spent whole this time in Kholinar with her questionable lifestyle. If the child is much younger then one of them would have to visit the other one for obvious reasons. I doubt Elhokar would leave the war, so then Aesudan would have to visit him, but I thought she spent at least few years prior WoR in Kholinar spoiling ardents (this is how I understood that interlude with Pai and older ardent)... Is there any proper quotation or something about Elhokar's son age? I'm just curious because I may really have been mistaken about it.