Site idea

I think it would be cool if you got a notification whenever it's the birthday of someone that you're following. I know there's the list everyday down at the bottom of the forums, but I often miss it as I'm not actively looking at them. Thoughts?

8 hours ago, Experience said:

I think it would be cool if you got a notification whenever it's the birthday of someone that you're following. I know there's the list everyday down at the bottom of the forums, but I often miss it as I'm not actively looking at them. Thoughts?

Sorry to be contrarian, but that sounds aweful. If something like that was implemented, I would hope it required the permission of the followed individual. 

18 minutes ago, Treamayne said:

Sorry to be contrarian, but that sounds aweful. If something like that was implemented, I would hope it required the permission of the followed individual. 

I mean… why? I’m not saying it’s not a bad idea for it to be a permission thing, but it is not anything different whatsoever from just glancing down at the birthdays list. It’s just a little more convenient for people to be able to just click the thing and send a birthday message without having to check.

29 minutes ago, Thaidakar the Ghostblood said:

I mean… why? I’m not saying it’s not a bad idea for it to be a permission thing, but it is not anything different whatsoever from just glancing down at the birthdays list. It’s just a little more convenient for people to be able to just click the thing and send a birthday message without having to check.

And Birthdays are also a form of Personal Identifying information (PII) that is a common target for malicious actors, and having them sent in notifications means they are also sent by email to people that choose to receive emailed notifications. Since following a person does not require their consent, you would potentially be opening sombody else's information for intercept or expoitation through multiple streams of data-in-transit. 

Like they say in Exo (paraphrased) "It's not the liklihood of something going wrong, it's the consequences of something happening." Is potentially having a friend hacked or identity stolen worth the cost of spending a minute to look at the info or setting reminders for yourself (offline) if it is that important for you?

Edit: I should probably note that this is why on sites like this I always use a false data for PII, so even if <somebody> received notifications about the Birthday in my profile, it would not actually be my birthday . . . 

Edited by Treamayne

Yes obviously, I mean it would only do it if the person has already entered their birthdate to be seen publicly. 

But for the people that have chosen to publicly show their birthdates I think it wouldn't be a problem to receive a notification that tells you what is already being shown on the site.

Definitely, because I'm never on the main page to see who's birthdays are today.

Alternatively, give a birthday child role thingy, like how we have mods and admins already.

9 hours ago, Experience said:

Yes obviously, I mean it would only do it if the person has already entered their birthdate to be seen publicly. 

But for the people that have chosen to publicly show their birthdates I think it wouldn't be a problem to receive a notification that tells you what is already being shown on the site.

Yeah, I'm not entirely sure why this would be a security issue because birthdays are already out in the open; I mean, just click on my profile, and you'll see it. if you don't display your birthday, then it's assumed you don't want it out, and the site shouldn't send an email. 
I can't imagine it's terribly difficult to make a Bot that could scrape such things off our profiles anyhow.

Edited by Argenti

Just now, Experience said:

Yeah, it's an awesome thread, but not everyone posts there when it is their birthday.

True, but you can also wish somebody a happy birthday there and @ thm to make sure they are notified of the well-wishes.

16 minutes ago, Treamayne said:

True, but you can also wish somebody a happy birthday there and @ thm to make sure they are notified of the well-wishes.

Yeah. The only point of the notification is so that I would be reminded it is their birthday that day.